697 users online (106 members and 591 guests)  

Websleuths News

Chico, CA

CA - Barry Crane murder, Los Angeles, 1985

Probe of Barry Crane Slaying Pressed

July 08, 1985

Los Angeles Police Department detectives continued their investigation Sunday into the Studio City bludgeoning murder of television director and bridge expert Barry Crane, interviewing bridge players and tournament officials who knew the victim.

"We do have a lot of clues, but that's all I can say," said Detective Kevin Harley.

Barry Crane was a very good friend of my mother's. She is now 83 and it's her last request on earth that this murder be solved. If anyone has any information or thoughts, please reply. Thank You!

I was a tournament bridge player at the time of Barry's death. I played hands at his tables as an opponent, but not as a partner. He had a reputation as being the number one duplicate bridge player, being temperamental with bridge partners, and of being gay. From publications I believe he was killed by a stranger. On the day of the murder he had just won an important tournament. Perhaps, on his way home he stopped at a lounge for a personal celebration and became acquainted with a stranger whom he found likeable. He invited and then drove the person to his residence where a violent incident took place that ended with Crane's murder. This stranger whom he encountered was apparently a Jeffrey Dahmer type. Almost certainly the person had similar incidents in the past, which would have been recorded by law enforcement. From the amount of disruption at the scene, there is surely considerable DNA, fingerprint, blood, and fiber evidence at the location for his identification. I am surprised the assailant has not been identified publicly sooner; however, I don't think it will be long before he is. Sometimes law enforcement will spend a long time after an almost certain identification is made in order to collect all possible evidence before a public announcement. James