How the defense team used social media to their advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmarysmead

Reaction score
Mods please remove if this has been discussed already:

http://www.trialconsultants.com/

"The consultants' job was hardly over once the jury was picked. In fact, that's when it became a full-time gig for Singer. The consultants were tasked with monitoring voluminous social media sites to keep their finger on the public's pulse. To keep up with the blog traffic, Singer asked for volunteers on the website of the American Society of Trial Consultants and was overwhelmed with responses.

When Singer first told Baez about the social media plan of attack, he wasn't convinced.
"He said, 'Do we really need to do that?'??" recalls Singer, who believes the prosecution also did not realize the need to monitor social media.

snip

Once Singer assured Baez of the necessity of social media, she and her team combed through blogs to isolate the "important negative comments" they felt needed to be addressed.
snip

For instance, when the blogs started attacking George Anthony, Singer and her team took notice and encouraged the defense to beef up their attacks on the defendant's father.

"We had to know how much to blame George," she said. Similarly, bloggers "loved" Cindy Anthony until she took credit for the chloroform searches and then began to turn on the defendant's mother. At that point, Singer's team "distanced ourselves" from her and encouraged Baez to take a watered-down position in closing arguments that "at least she had some sort of maternal instinct."

snip

Lawyers USA: You said blogs were a "life saver" in the case. How so?

Singer: They were a life saver because they told us what the prosecution was thinking. Then the defense lawyers were able to answer those questions [in front of the real jury]. It was like having a free shadow jury. You would not believe the kinds of things people were saying, and a lot of it was counterintuitive. I needed to hear from pro-prosecution people. I don't preach to the choir. I go to extreme measures to find people who are against my client. I'm not interested in persuading people on my side. I'm interested in persuading people on the fence.

happened after [her daughter Caylee] died, [such as Casey partying and getting a tattoo in the month after], nothing before, so it doesn't go to premeditation.

snip

Lawyers USA: How did the lawyers use the information you mined from these blogs?

Singer: We sent comments constantly to [defense attorneys] Jose [Baez] and Dorothy [Clay Sims]. They had to integrate the comments into the trial and think fast, and they geared their case toward that. For example, when Cindy (Casey's mother) testified [that] she did a [Internet] search for chloroform, everybody hated her. But others said this was a mother protecting her child. So we knew how to play that. That's exactly what Jose said in his closing: 'She's protecting her child.'

Much more on this site.

I actually worry that we gave the defense more than that. I don't think KC came up with the pool story at all. I think the defense monitored this and other sites and built the whole scenerio from what public opinion could plausibly stomach. Everything JB said in opening was discussed here-the words he used had been debated here-I think they pooled together an idea that they'd already seen played out on forums and knew it gave them an edge with this carefully chosen jury.

I actually worry that we gave the defense more than that. I don't think KC came up with the pool story at all. I think the defense monitored this and other sites and built the whole scenerio from what public opinion could plausibly stomach. Everything JB said in opening was discussed here-the words he used had been debated here-I think they pooled together an idea that they'd already seen played out on forums and knew it gave them an edge with this carefully chosen jury.
This is an indication of how strong an influence the internet and forums like this really do have. But the prosecution could have gotten lots of ideas from here as well, and maybe they did. At least, their theory echoed what many believed about the "Bella Vita" motive. The question is, why was it not believed?

This is an indication of how strong an influence the internet and forums like this really do have. But the prosecution could have gotten lots of ideas from here as well, and maybe they did. At least, their theory echoed what many believed about the "Bella Vita" motive. The question is, why was it not believed?

according to the jurors interviewed so far:
1)the prosecution lawyers weren't as fun to watch as JB
2)George behaved badly on the stand
3)they didn't want to be responsible for anybody's death without knowing "manner of death" of the victim

Ohhhhh the insanity!!!!

IMO, I actually at times before and during the trial wished this was a closed forum, and only Members could read here. Not saying Baez and Team could not come up with ideas we were posting here on their own or from other sites, but I remember a thread directly geared to tell the DT what they would need to do to strengthen their case, but I cannot remember the exact name of it, it was before the trial. and then a thread about "poke holes in the DT theory" or something along those lines that was going on during the trial. This is just my opinion only, and I am not delusional enough to think that what we post here is all the DT would have needed or necessarily even paid attention to, but i am sure we did help them. there are many people here who have intense knowledge about all of the real evidence in this case, and there were some great ideas here during all of the Sunshine Law document downloads. so before I get blasted for this feeling of mine, I will head for the hills!! IMO, MOO, etc.

Lots of people felt the defense was reading here all along, so I am not surpised. But if the state wasn't also checking out the internet, maybe they should have been. There were times when they did not press enough on a certain area, etc...that maybe they would have done so if they had looked for reactions from the public. Somehow I think the state accepted jurors too easily and had such faith in their case that they did not think they needed to "check the pulse" of the public.

Arrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!

mods please remove if this has been discussed already:

"the consultants' job was hardly over once the jury was picked. In fact, that's when it became a full-time gig for singer. The consultants were tasked with monitoring voluminous social media sites to keep their finger on the public's pulse. To keep up with the blog traffic, singer asked for volunteers on the website of the american society of trial consultants and was overwhelmed with responses.

When singer first told baez about the social media plan of attack, he wasn't convinced.
"he said, 'do we really need to do that?'??" recalls singer, who believes the prosecution also did not realize the need to monitor social media.

Snip

once singer assured baez of the necessity of social media, she and her team combed through blogs to isolate the "important negative comments" they felt needed to be addressed.
Snip

for instance, when the blogs started attacking george anthony, singer and her team took notice and encouraged the defense to beef up their attacks on the defendant's father.

"we had to know how much to blame george," she said. Similarly, bloggers "loved" cindy anthony until she took credit for the chloroform searches and then began to turn on the defendant's mother. At that point, singer's team "distanced ourselves" from her and encouraged baez to take a watered-down position in closing arguments that "at least she had some sort of maternal instinct."

snip

lawyers usa: You said blogs were a "life saver" in the case. How so?

Singer: They were a life saver because they told us what the prosecution was thinking. Then the defense lawyers were able to answer those questions [in front of the real jury]. It was like having a free shadow jury. You would not believe the kinds of things people were saying, and a lot of it was counterintuitive. I needed to hear from pro-prosecution people. I don't preach to the choir. I go to extreme measures to find people who are against my client. I'm not interested in persuading people on my side. I'm interested in persuading people on the fence.

Happened after [her daughter caylee] died, [such as casey partying and getting a tattoo in the month after], nothing before, so it doesn't go to premeditation.

Snip

lawyers usa: How did the lawyers use the information you mined from these blogs?

Singer: We sent comments constantly to [defense attorneys] jose [baez] and dorothy [clay sims]. They had to integrate the comments into the trial and think fast, and they geared their case toward that. For example, when cindy (casey's mother) testified [that] she did a [internet] search for chloroform, everybody hated her. But others said this was a mother protecting her child. So we knew how to play that. That's exactly what jose said in his closing: 'she's protecting her child.'

much more on this site.

according to the jurors interviewed so far:
1)the prosecution lawyers weren't as fun to watch as JB
2)George behaved badly on the stand

3)they didn't want to be responsible for anybody's death without knowing "manner of death" of the victim

Ohhhhh the insanity!!!!
Well, I had worried about both of the bolded points, and I kept being reassured that tweets from the court showed the jury was more alert with the prosecution, and that in general, George Anthony elicited sympathy. Turns out my fears were well-grounded.

I think this is such an interesting topic. If the State had been closely monitoring internet discussions about the case, though, I wonder if they'd really have done anything differently? I think they might have just been lulled into thinking that they were doing a great job that would lead to an easy conviction.

You know I was a little worried about just this. I remember people here saying: be careful we know DT reads here. I wish we could set up a a fake thread for them to read and those people that post know its fake. We could be posting: Isn't JB just the best, love their DT and KC? she should wear more make up and talk out loud so the jury knows that she is really innocent. She should be wearing the blue dress and push up bra so they can see that she is still in mourning.
Next time a case like this comes up (God forbid it does) thats what we need to do.
PM eachother and get the acting in motion.

Hmmmm interesting.. maybe that is why Baez was constantly checking his Blackberry during the trial?

All that I know is this, the DT won this case and were paid/will be paid in blood money. Therefore, while they may have money in their pockets and bask in their glory for a little while, that money will be cursed and in the end will not bring fulfillment or happiness. Same is true for ANYONE who tries to profit off of this murder. :twocents:

What WE have learned...

Parenting: Mason/ Baez style:

Child to Mom: People are saying I stole other people's lunches.

Mom to Child: Do you know who did it?

Child to Mom: No

Mom to Child: Okay, then go to school...listen carefully till you know which child nobody likes and blame him.

Teenager to Mom: I didn't make the first team.

Mom to Teenager: Well, go to the coaches, lie that the kid that has your position regularly breaks training and get your spot back. Look, this lying helps your team win so it's okay. And son, give the opposing team the finger when you walk off the field. That's how we raised you.

Very interesting - thanks for the link!

Personally I knew the prosecution was in trouble when People magazine came out with their June 24, 2011 cover story about the possibility of Casey Anthony "getting away with murder". You just know that couldn't have been good - sequestered jury or not.

You know I was a little worried about just this. I remember people here saying: be careful we know DT reads here. I wish we could set up a a fake thread for them to read and those people that post know its fake. We could be posting: Isn't JB just the best, love their DT and KC? she should wear more make up and talk out loud so the jury knows that she is really innocent. She should be wearing the blue dress and push up bra so they can see that she is still in mourning.
Next time a case like this comes up (God forbid it does) thats what we need to do.
PM eachother and get the acting in motion.

Maybe that's what ICA was doing when she had her head down towards her lap? Or lurking on DCS's computer. I kind of suspected that with all the writing she was doing. But it's ok. I don't know how a site of this magnitude and size could possibly determine without a doubt that the person they are allowing registration to is NOT someone with the best of intentions in some case some place else. It would be a nightmarish feat for me to even try to figure it out myself.

And in a way that article also is pushing an idea into the public as well to be paranoid. We all realize that the internet is really not as anonymous as one might think. Not by any means. As is obvious of the amount of deleted information forensics took from the computer(s). So the article has served it's purpose and you all reacted exactly as it was intended to target. And I'm merely observing it in it's context too. Cause the rest of America to feel guilty for helping the defense in ICA's case for getting her a not guilty verdict.

Some more hype from the defense to slap it in our faces I suppose. Doesn't bother me though. :) JMO

Thanks for confirming that the defense's story was completely fabricated, and formed as a result of what would fly and not what actually happened! Not that I didnt know, but again, thanks for the confirmation...

Maybe they're just saying all of this for kicks. I'm not even taking it seriously, honestly.

Another quote:

"I preferred to have people on the jury who didn't have children. All the bloggers kept saying, 'I'm a grandparent and if my grandkid went missing for three minutes I would know,' or, 'I'm a mother and I wouldn't be out partying if my daughter was missing.'

Mods please remove if this has been discussed already:

"The consultants' job was hardly over once the jury was picked. In fact, that's when it became a full-time gig for Singer. The consultants were tasked with monitoring voluminous social media sites to keep their finger on the public's pulse. To keep up with the blog traffic, Singer asked for volunteers on the website of the American Society of Trial Consultants and was overwhelmed with responses.

When Singer first told Baez about the social media plan of attack, he wasn't convinced.
"He said, 'Do we really need to do that?'??" recalls Singer, who believes the prosecution also did not realize the need to monitor social media.

snip

Once Singer assured Baez of the necessity of social media, she and her team combed through blogs to isolate the "important negative comments" they felt needed to be addressed.
snip

For instance, when the blogs started attacking George Anthony, Singer and her team took notice and encouraged the defense to beef up their attacks on the defendant's father.

"We had to know how much to blame George," she said. Similarly, bloggers "loved" Cindy Anthony until she took credit for the chloroform searches and then began to turn on the defendant's mother. At that point, Singer's team "distanced ourselves" from her and encouraged Baez to take a watered-down position in closing arguments that "at least she had some sort of maternal instinct."

snip

Lawyers USA: You said blogs were a "life saver" in the case. How so?

happened after [her daughter Caylee] died, [such as Casey partying and getting a tattoo in the month after], nothing before, so it doesn't go to premeditation.

snip

Lawyers USA: How did the lawyers use the information you mined from these blogs?

Singer: We sent comments constantly to [defense attorneys] Jose [Baez] and Dorothy [Clay Sims]. They had to integrate the comments into the trial and think fast, and they geared their case toward that. For example, when Cindy (Casey's mother) testified [that] she did a [Internet] search for chloroform, everybody hated her. But others said this was a mother protecting her child. So we knew how to play that. That's exactly what Jose said in his closing: 'She's protecting her child.'

Much more on this site.
--------------------
We must learn to use reverse psychology.:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Well, I see who encouraged the "lynch mob" meme too. I watched the trial after 3 years of not thinking much of or researching this case at all. I did not know what this jury might end up convicting her of. I also didn't dream she would be acquitted of every charge related to the death of Caylee-it boggles my mind.

makes me think back to speculation on GA being "creepy" for calling casey gorgeous and commenting on her weight and appearance ect. wonder if that helped float the letter to cookie about the dreams of GA in caseys room and her "sick" feeling when waking up.

i wish during trial that all phones and internet devices had to be shut off. i think JB was reading from someone off of his phone all during the trial giving him immediate feedback. also the reason for pop tart witnesses. he would read the feedback at night and bring it up the next day. this is an issue i have with public/televised trials although i cant be a hypocrite since i didnt miss a minute of testimony.

i hope no one one here feels responsible for their very informative and interesting posts.
in the end no matter what the DT threw out i dont think the anyone or even the state for that matter could have guessed that 12 juorors would be so willing to toss common sense aside. i do wish however that i knew how much of the circumstancial evidence the state wasnt allowed to present vs what they chose not to present. i feel bad that the prosecution is being second guessed by the media just due the sheer amount of passion for Caylee they presented. it must be painfu for them. i wont go into the "what they could have done differently" since there is a thread for that.
its crazy how during the trial all the TH's specualtion about ineffecive counsel appeals then people swiftly jumped on the genius defense badwagon after the verdict was read. amazing what a difference a day made. but yes, i believe the defense got all of their ideas from the web and that was smart of them but please posters dont let this hurt you personally somehow. this site has brought the truth of this case to many and it is not anyones fault that evidence was supressed. also, no one could have known the jury would be so unwilling to view the evidence that was presented. i personally do not feel the states case was weak enough for a total aquittal. it was stronger than scott pertersons and he sits on death row.

btw...i joined this site June 2011. i had been reading it for years before. i was to dumb to understand the part about no yahoo, gmail or aol accounts. i kept trying to join and thought i was being rejected because mods couldnt trust who i said i was. so i thought it was heavily protected. i do understand why people would wish it to be a private site but since the focus isnt helping people win trials but instead try to solve, understand or discuss important cases I can see why its good to allow people the opportunity to learn, view and communicate. (also a small part of me is glad the jury has the option to see why people feel the way they do about the verdict).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah