Proposed New FL. Law-jurors can't profit from service

Status
Not open for further replies.

msinformed

Reaction score
MarkNeJame Mark NeJame
Press conference tomorrow my office announcing proposed new law so FL. jurors can't profit from serviceThx Rep. Scott Randolph #caseyanthony
3 hours ago

MarkNeJame Mark NeJame
It also makes it a felony to offer to pay for info from jurors or to approach for pay.This will make them responsible as well. #caseyanthony
3 hours ago

Thank you so much for this thread. I know it was discussed here that many would like a law just like this one passed. I hope it happens in Florida and makes it's way countrywide.

It would be nice that despite ICA getting off that Caylee's Law and this one went through. Both would be a nice legacy for the beautiful little Caylee to leave behind.

I hope it also means no trips, not paid for rights to any photos, no Disney Trips....

I love this!! It would deter a jury from voting in THIER best interest in cases. Just sayin..

I hope it also means no trips, not paid for rights to any photos, no Disney Trips....

I 'assume,' the proposed law will also include ...... profit from "in kind donations."

Oh, and, the presser is @ 1pm EST tomorrow.

All you FL. voters, I know, will get behind this & let your legislators know what YOU want!

This is such a good thing. imo

I hope someone can post all the details from presser. I'm so happy about this news. It gives me hope.

:great:

WOW ... I hope this becomes a "law" in Florida as well as EVERY STATE in the United States !

It's about time the "PROFIT MOTIVE" be taken completely out so jurors canNOT financially profit from jury duty. It is a "CIVIC DUTY" to serve on a Jury ... NOT a way to make a HUGE PROFIT or get your "15 minutes" ...

This will also eliminate "STEALTH JURORS" ...

:great:

This would be GREAT but I would like to see it go full circle: If passed, the law should cover all those involved in any case from the day the law is signed. IOW, the minute the law goes into effect, jurors involved in KC's case could no longer earn a penny off the case.

Most laws are not retroactive but if you look at states where they abolish the death penalty, all death sentences already imposed are immediately commuted. I see no reason why this law cannot be the same and take away the ability of the jurors in THIS CASE to profit indefinitely just because the circus came to town before the law.

This is a great idea! I do wish that juror pay wasn't so low, though, especially for cases where people have to be out of work for a very long time.

I wonder if they could write the law so that you can't profit from interviews but put a dollar amount on it. So, the most you can make is a thousand dollars total or something like that. Also, no profit for six months... I don't know, just thinking out loud here.

It definitely needs to be changed, no doubt about it.

This is a great idea! I do wish that juror pay wasn't so low, though, especially for cases where people have to be out of work for a very long time.

I wonder if they could write the law so that you can't profit from interviews but put a dollar amount on it. So, the most you can make is a thousand dollars total or something like that. Also, no profit for six months... I don't know, just thinking out loud here.

It definitely needs to be changed, no doubt about it.

With all due respect, they are there to perform a civic duty and there should be no profit whatsoever. Expenses being covered is different than profit; what this proposed law would do is remove the profit portion. Jurors are impaneled to perform a service in the name of justice and IMO jury duty should not turn into a financial opportunity for anyone.

Hold on.

They need to tighten this up. It says "for six months". Jeez - it could take 6 months to write a book or shop it around.

Or not - if you're Jennifer Ford and you are at Disney World less than 48 hours after being released from jury duty....grrrrrrrrrrrr. Did she call ABC from the bus on the way back to Pinellas County or what?

We need to demand that there be no profit - nor any agreements for future profit - or payment "in kind" - for at least 2 years.

By then, whatever case one might have served on would surely have waned in interest.

With all due respect, they are there to perform a civic duty and there should be no profit whatsoever. Expenses being covered is different than profit; what this proposed law would do is remove the profit portion. Jurors are impaneled to perform a service in the name of justice and IMO jury duty should not turn into a financial opportunity for anyone.

BBM. Jury service is not exactly a volunteer action.

I do agree but would like to see jury service not cause a financial hardship when many people are willing and able to serve. I had jury duty for a week once that was unpaid and it definitely caused a hardship for this single mother of a nine year old child at the time. There would have been no way that I could have committed to a six to eight week trial such as these jurors did.

New York already has this law. Pretty comprehensive. Can't compensate jurors - send them on trips, etc. for talking to the media. I'll see if I can find a link.

Salem

I do agree but would like to see jury service not cause a financial hardship when many people are willing and able to serve. I had jury duty for a week once that was unpaid and it definitely caused a hardship for this single mother of a nine year old child at the time. There would have been no way that I could have committed to a six to eight week trial such as these jurors did.

Oh, believe me, I understand fully what you are saying. Jury duty is a hardship for many people--those who are caretakers for others, or have young children but no reliable child care, or run a business, etc...

But those people can be excused for hardship.

Jury duty is not a volunteer service and that's how it should be. It should be a duty you serve when called, no more and no less. No one should see it as a financial opportunity, IMO.

"marple" i agree, esp in your case...serve on jury, yes there should be some kind of compensaton, eg ( just the amount of lost wages, so you can KEEP paying bills,rent, feed yourselves,ect..cover the basic needs...but no extra perks, like someone mentioned, a trip to disney??)

Hold on.

They need to tighten this up. It says "for six months". Jeez - it could take 6 months to write a book or shop it around.

Or not - if you're Jennifer Ford and you are at Disney World less than 48 hours after being released from jury duty....grrrrrrrrrrrr. Did she call ABC from the bus on the way back to Pinellas County or what?

We need to demand that there be no profit - nor any agreements for future profit - or payment "in kind" - for at least 2 years.

By then, whatever case one might have served on would surely have waned in interest.

I missed the 'six months,' can you help me?

This is proposed law ......... I'm sure the draft at this point is rough. Also, once the legislation is introduced, there will be amendments, I'm sure that will alter the language. That's why it is important for FL. constituents to vocalize to their legislators what THEY want in this Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie