Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health officials support placing obese children in foster care

Hybrid View

Exclamation Health officials support placing obese children in foster care

Health officials support placing obese children in foster care before undergoing surgery.

LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) -

If a child is obese and qualifies for weight loss surgery, some health experts believe they should be put in temporary foster care.

They feel it's more ethical than going under the knife.

http://www.ktre.com/story/15077654/health-officials

I had a really hard time not putting this in the "Crimes against Children" thread.
    Has the entire world gone insane? Who in their right mind would take a child from a loving family and place then in an already overflowing, understaffed system, just because they are overweight?
    Folks, we are in serious trouble here when the government has so much control that they can take our children, if they feel they don't meet the required standards.

I think the stress of being in a foster home could cause additional weight gain.
    Beware the Food Polizei.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TrackerSam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    I think the stress of being in a foster home could cause additional weight gain.
    Beware the Food Polizei.
    i agree with this. can you imagine all the problems they would add to the child. even if the child didn't gain additional weight the emotional problems that would be added. and you know the child would/could also develop an eating disorder because they would take the being taken away from birth family as something they've done wrong. so you could have a child that would think no one will want me if i'm "fat" so they would/could try to compensate for that so it doesn't happen again. it would definitely give the child the wrong message.
    we need to encourage harder sentencing on those that are harming our children. our children are worth it!!

stop the circus!! these children as all children deserve to be found and justice brought forth for what has happened to them!!

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to athy For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    This sounds like something that would come out of California.
    But TEXAS????
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    But TEXAS????
    On Wednesday, an opinion piece was published in the Journal of the AMA by a Harvard professor/Children's Hospital Boston obesity expert (and a co-author) that called for state intervention:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/parents...ry?id=14062898

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epiphany For This Useful Post:

I have read where children were removed by the CPS and placed in foster care only to be killed in the foster home.! Texas has a broken CPS and I have seen some horrible things come from that department.

I know they pay very little and will take just about any employee who is willing to work there and then when the case goes to court, they take what this case workers says like it was gold or God's Holy Gospel. They make way too many mistakes for me to even consider this as a viable option.

Im worried about this country and for more reasons than just this....whose idea was this? Is this an Obama thing? that would serve us right if it was....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dizzychick For This Useful Post:

Another example of when government becomes too big. Ridiculous!!!

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hockeymom For This Useful Post:

I would hope that the threat of having children removed and placed in foster care would shock parents into caring for their children's weight issues. IMO It is abuse.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I would hope that the threat of having children removed and placed in foster care would shock parents into caring for their children's weight issues. IMO It is abuse.
    Abuse?
    There are so many medical reasons some children are overweight.

It's nobody's business!
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Abuse?

It's nobody's business!
    Remember that little girl in New Mexico? Think she was 3yo and the state swooped in and took her away from her parents because of her weight. As it turned out, iirc, it was a medical issue and not anything to do with their parenting. All over the "free world", governments are overstepping more and more. I saw something in this vein about the British government overstepping on this issue just a few days ago. Enough already. MOO

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KathrynL For This Useful Post:

Abuse?

It's nobody's business!

What medical reasons? and it is my business. The health & welfare of children is everyones business

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Are you KIDDING?

Both of my kids were "chubby" (NOT obese) when they were young. Both of them have grown into gorgeous, slim people.

Jeez. BIG BROTHER, ANYONE? When the government begins interfering with parenting, we are all in trouble.
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

The first thing the government needs to do is make healthier food less costly.
    We have a garden eat mostly fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, and i'm also an extreme couponer. I can get junk food food waaay cheaper than i can buy fresh fruits and veggies year round. Rarely is there coupons for skim milk, apples, meat, grapes, eggs, lettuce etc.. but fruit snacks with coupons you can get for free, hot pockets, banquet TV dinners for $.68 each and on and on. Thankfully we can afford the fruits and veggies, and i allow my kids 1 junk item a day since it's all about eating that stuff in small amounts, not banning it all together. But for poor people they seen to choose junk food rather than fresh stuff and I know it has to do with laziness sometimes, but i think it also has to do with cost.
    MOO

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to peeples For This Useful Post:

But TEXAS????
    This is the most assanine government poop I have ever heard of. Believe me, TX is broken in a lot of ways.

"This Time We Get It Right!"
    If you can read this, thank a teacher, if it's in English, thank a soldier!
    If I forget to mention it. Everything I post is my opinion, right or wrong, good or bad.
    If you have questions about Rebecca Zahaus death, please watch this:http://websleuths.com/forums/showpos...00&postcount=1

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SunnieRN For This Useful Post:

That's right punish children who are already insecure. They should have a program where the entire family gets counseling . I know money is a problem but in the long run everyone will benefit. A lot of people don't know how to say no to their children. It's not that they want to see their child overweight, they just are not experts. This is a family problem and should be treated as one.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to legalmania For This Useful Post:

I want the body fat ratio of every single politician and court, federal, state, city employees, etc. measured. If he or she is not fit, then I want them immediately removed from office /jobs without pay. They have a period of time to get their body fat ratio, cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. under control. Let's try it for a year or two.

If it works well, then, I might even consider or think about temporarily removing very obese children from their parent/s.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I want the body fat ratio of every single politician and court, federal, state, city employees, etc. measured. If he or she is not fit, then I want them immediately removed from office /jobs without pay. They have a period of time to get their body fat ratio, cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. under control. Let's try it for a year or two.

If it works well, then, I might even consider or think about temporarily removing very obese children from their parent/s.
    Good one epiphany. I'm with you, if anyone wants to experiment with something as personal as family problems than politicians should be the lab rat.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to legalmania For This Useful Post:

ok im beginning to wonder just who some of these ppl think they are that they can make that call ..is this country becoming a dictatorship? i think ppl need to stop studying others so much and worry about important things such as jobs and abused children ect.. foods now adays are fattening .. and good food is too expensive to buy alot of kids are home alone because the parens have to both work to survive and they play video games , alot of us didnt have that stuff in our childhood.. not only that if a kid wants to go outside and play and your in well populated area they arnt safe ..wtf do they expect from these parents your damned if you do and damned if you dont ..some ppl cant afford houses so how can they garden? heh and if you have one in your front yard you get fined for it or even jailed the city officials in some states need to set up better priorities and cut out the stupid ones .. this is becoming beyond ridiculous .. i think if a kid is pulled out the home for stupid stuff like that then the person who is behind it should foot the bill for the foster care parents shouldnt have to if its against thier will or the child isnt being abused

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zadari For This Useful Post:

Look at this from the standpoint of racism, and address it as such, and I bet the government would shut up.
    1. Obese children are often those that live in urban areas, born to poor parents without adequate transportation. These are the kids that eat from convenience stores, not because their parents want to feed them nothing but crap, but because when the nearest grocery store is still too far away, what choice do they have?
    2. Poor, living in an urban area, without adequate transportation usually means minority, although not so much since the economy has worsened. Overall, society still chooses to view these as minority problems. Therefore, threatening to take the children of those that cannot reach adequate nutrition, is the same as threatening to take children because their parents are poor minorities.
    3. If this were addressed that way, with all of the ensuing bedlam from minority action groups and outspoken African American leaders, the government "leaders" would shut up pretty fast. They always do when someone points out that their new policy is racist, which happens quite often.

BTW, obesity is not abuse in my eyes. It can be due to neglect, but it can also be due to a diagnosed or undiagnosed medical condition, lack of education, lack of resources, lack of access, in other words, mostly due to things that the government could handle for much cheaper by providing education, training, jobs, resources, transportation, and healthier choices in urban areas...do they? No.

Just remember, the most terrifying words in the English language: "We're from the government and we're here to help."
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    I can't believe this. It is what they eat or meds they are on, or even baby fat. I can not believe a state would take this in concentration... Maybe they should also look at underweight children. Kids metabolism are all different...

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keeponsearching For This Useful Post:

This is so sad. The idea of ripping a family apart over this, is heartbreaking. A chubby kid taken away from his or her parents and siblings. That has to be devastating for everyone involved.

Wow! There are some messed up folks in this world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuffy For This Useful Post:

Idiots.

Both of my kids are overweight according to "charts". I have a 10-year old who is 5'6"+ and weighs 150 lbs......he's adult-sized and nothing in the world is going to make him be the size of the average skinny little 10 year old boy.

Both my husband and I were given to the pudge when we were our sons age, and I still have to work very very hard to not be a little chubby. Hell, I actually like being a little chubby, a state I personally find more attractive than skinny.

I wish we lived in a world that was more accepting of different body types and shapes. All this hysteria about people's bodies couched in a "oh, we're just concerned about your health" attitude nauseates me.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

My child is considered overweight too by the charts.

But she's taller than me and is very athletic.

She is a big girl but in great shape and very healthy and very well cared for.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

As my previous post should make clear, I think this is fairly stupid. I also think that there is a problem in our country with childhood obesity (and with adult obesity, too--I live in Wisconsin, we're not exactly the most health-conscious state), but there are many better ways to address it. I think our society is far to obsessed with weight and body image, and I think fataphobia sucks.

However, I also like to play devil's advocate.

Here is a link to a news story that is a little more comprehensive.

Roughly 2 million U.S. children are extremely obese. Most are not in imminent danger, Ludwig said. But some have obesity-related conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, breathing difficulties and liver problems that could kill them by age 30. It is these kids for whom state intervention, including education, parent training, and temporary protective custody in the most extreme cases, should be considered, Ludwig said.
    also, BBM:

That piece discussed a 440-pound 16-year-old girl who developed breathing problems from excess weight and nearly died at a University of Wisconsin hospital. Doctors discussed whether to report her family for neglect. But they didn't need to, because her medical crisis "was a wake-up call" for her family, and the girl ended up losing about 100 pounds, said co-author Dr. Norman Fost, a medical ethicist at the university's Madison campus.
    It seems like the folks who are advancing this idea are not talking about kids who are chubby, or even obese, but those who have life-threatening (or potentially life-threatening) illnesses linked to weight. I get that this could be a slippery slope, and lead to some serious unintended consequences. But is there ever a case where a child being seriously overweight should lead to state intervention? What if the state intervention is court-ordered services or medical care, instead of foster care? Is there a corollary to parents who refuse to provide medical care to their children on religious grounds (an issue I have somewhat conflicted feelings about)? Some things I'm thinking about, and would love to have some discussion about.

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RLynne For This Useful Post:

RLynne,your idea of maybe some court ordered medical intervention might be more paletable than taking someone from their home.Its as you said,a slippery slope. And who's to say the Foster family would be any better? Would that mean there couldn't be fat Foster parents? What if one Dr. determines someone is obese by his/her standards? The whole idea is crazy. I still think educating people on good nutrition and encouraging exercise is the way to go.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockeymom For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast