Identified! TX - Smith Co, off I-20, WhtFem 20-32, 77UFTX, shirt w/ 'Top Rail Country Music, Dallas, TX', Oct'85 - Sindy Gina Crow

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am creating this thread at the request of WS member Kathee:

... In an unrelated case, would any of you be interested in helping the adminstrator of the following page to help her? Her Jane Doe doesn't have a WS page and I told her what great detectives you guys are.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002278889179#!/profile.php?id=100002380913079

The Doe Network:
Case File 77UFTX
77UFTX
NamUs UP Case 4491 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

77UFTX.jpg

Reconstructed Image of Victim

Unidentified White Female
Located on October 1, 1985 in Smith County, Texas
The victim may have been deceased for 12 - 18 months prior to discovery.
Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20 - 25 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3 - 5'5"; 125 - 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: She was wearing a yellow knit pullover shirt with a lace collar. The phrase Top Rail Country Music, Dallas, Texas was printed on the front of the shirt, along with an image of an armadillo. These shirts were made from 1984 - 1987. The victim was also wearing white Dickie shorts (size 27W x 36 Hips); a bra and panties; canvas sandals; gold butterfly earrings; and a gold Pulsar watch.
Dentals: Several amalgam restorations and a gold crown on tooth #30.

Case History
The victim was located in a brushy gully by the south side of IH 20 in Smith County, TX.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of December 14, 2023>

Last edited by a moderator:
I can find nobody from Texas who fits within the timeframe, age, and height parameters.

But just for starters, if you broaden the parameters, this Texas MP looks like she's worth a look:

Kathleen Laura Ranft
77UFTX.jpg
1702594813413.jpeg

I would suspect that they've probably looked pretty closely at Texas MP's, but Texas rarely publicizes their rule-out lists.

Hey Carl what do you think about Lisa Addington? I know height is a little off but with the condition of Her skeleton... Who knows.

337DFOK - Lisa Karen Addington

Here's the side-by-side and the Charley casefile:

Lisa Karen Addington
77UFTX.jpg
1702594862220.jpeg

The facial shape is right, the timeframe and age are right and there is a Dallas connection.

But 5'8" is quite a bit off from a 5'3" to 5'5" estimate. I wonder how they knew her eyes were brown if the remains were skeletal with a PM interval of 12-18 months.

I suppose it's possible that the height estimate was off. If so, she looks like a plausible possible.

Another possibility could be Terri Hefner.

I know this is a response to a 7 year old comment, but this thread has been dead for four years so I might as well liven it up. I searched on namus and Terri Hefner looked the closest to me out of MPs in Texas. She had brown hair and disappeared in April 1984 which is just a few months past the time of death range maximum of 18 months and I'd think shorts, sandals, and a pullover shirt would be fairly appropriate weather for Texas in April on a nice day. She went missing from Dallas County, and the t-shirt found with the UID mentions Dallas. Her weight fits with the UID, being between 120-130 lbs. Her height is 5'5"-5'7", but that is definitely close enough to the estimate of 5'3"-5'5" to be considered possible. She was also 19-20 when she went missing, so that fits as well. You'd have to think she was one of the first MPs law enforcement looked at, but you never know. Though they both have DNA, so this is likely an automatic rule-out.

I know this is a response to a 7 year old comment, but this thread has been dead for four years so I might as well liven it up. I searched on namus and Terri Hefner looked the closest to me out of MPs in Texas. She had brown hair and disappeared in April 1984 which is just a few months past the time of death range maximum of 18 months and I'd think shorts, sandals, and a pullover shirt would be fairly appropriate weather for Texas in April on a nice day. She went missing from Dallas County, and the t-shirt found with the UID mentions Dallas. Her weight fits with the UID, being between 120-130 lbs. Her height is 5'5"-5'7", but that is definitely close enough to the estimate of 5'3"-5'5" to be considered possible. She was also 19-20 when she went missing, so that fits as well. You'd have to think she was one of the first MPs law enforcement looked at, but you never know. Though they both have DNA, so this is likely an automatic rule-out.
Terri was suggested further up in the thread.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Amazing job Carl! This really imbues her with life, I hope this can further her identification. As taken in comparison to her (rather crudely made clay model) this image gives her face life and charcther. I hope this woman gets her name !

Kathy Marie Mosgrove?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181030-161846_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181030-161846_Chrome.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20181030-163041_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181030-163041_Chrome.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 16
Did anyone submit Lisa Karen Addington?

The timing is right, height is off but with partial skeletal remains that can be hard to get right.

Clothing is not right, and no mention of a gold tooth for Lisa, seems like that would be noted, but as far as I can see one NamUs, she has not been excluded yet.

This case needs refreshing! I wish that Carl’s recon could be added to places like NamUs when no better reconstruction is available other than a very generic bust. :( (JMO)
6B7EF3DC-8F1C-4B60-845F-965F1F893D6B.jpeg
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Current list of Missing Person exclusions for UP4491 per NamUs: MP5007 Kimberly Blackburn 05/29/1983 Marion IN
MP18235 TonI Esbenshade 03/26/1984 Caldwell TX
MP3127 Christine Huyer 07/03/1982 Orange FL
MP974 Patricia Schmidt 06/04/1985 Henrico VA

Additional links:
Smith County Jane Doe (1985)
Texas DPS

*Just looking at Doe Network and it seems a few rather important details have been updated/changed since the OP... and they’re a bit different than what NamUs lists, and vary from the DPS site :confused: I’ll bold and highlight the differences from the OP according to Doe Network and include the NamUs stats in parentheses...

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/77uftx.html
Date of Discovery: October 1, 1985

Location of Discovery: Smith County, Texas
Estimated Date of Death: 12-18 months prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 20-32 years old (20-22)
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'0" to 5'5" (5 feet 4 inches)
Weight: 125 to 130 lbs. (127 pounds)
Hair: Brown, red or dark blond. Braided into a ponytail and tied with a rubber band. (Brown)
Eye Color: Unknown (Brown)
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Several amalgam restorations and a gold crown on tooth #30.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Yellow knit pullover shirt with a lace collar. The phrase "Top Rail Country Music, Dallas, Texas" was printed on the front of the shirt, along with an image of an armadillo. These shirts were made from 1984 - 1987. She also wore white Dickie shorts (size 27W x 36 Hips); a bra and panties and canvas sandals.
Jewelry: Gold butterfly earrings; and a gold Pulsar watch.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was located in a brushy gully by the south side of IH 20 in Smith County, TX.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Smith County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: David Turner
Agency Phone Number: 903-566-6600
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 85-10104

Agency Name: Texas Department of Public Safety
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 512-424-5074
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: U9010001
NCIC Case Number: U170485643
NamUs Case Number: 4491

Information Source(s)
NamUs
TXDPS

Happened to come across a newspaper article about miss }!{Amarillo Jane}!{ (the Armadillo reminds me of Amarillo and in Spanish, Amarillo means yellow...it helps me to remember this particular case ... and now I bet you’ll remember too! ;))

Longview News” - October 3, 1985
Mowing Crew Find Body
<modsnip: copyright>

Last edited:
<modsnip: copyright>
I thought this was listed under lost/found but it’s listed under the “For Sale” section of the Austin American-Statesman classified section on August 16, 1984!
9E8394CC-C044-4975-8261-DF69EB06782D.jpeg

By all accounts there was only a single butterfly found that was thought to belong to an earring. However, for anyone not familiar with James Avery jewelry (it may be a Texas a thing, but I own many pieces and probably have this particular one) I’ll post a link to what the ring looks like...

It’s a dangle charm and if removed from the ring itself, would look like just a metal butterfly with a loop link attached... all James Avery jewelry is made in either sterling silver or 24K gold, and each piece is unique. They often “retire” a design (sometimes releasing a limited edition comeback version) and are constantly coming out with new designs.

James Avery Artisan Jewelry is a vertically integrated, family owned company still located in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. We are a multi-channel retailer with 83 James Avery stores in five states. Our jewelry is also available in more than 215 Dillard’s stores in Texas and in 28 additional states; and nationwide through JamesAvery.com. Our jewelry is crafted in four Texas workshops—one each in Comfort, Fredericksburg, Hondo and Kerrville.”

Ok, as it turns out, this design is a retired one... I’m not sure when, I’ll continue to search, but I found one that was sold online as an example. This would explain why there was only one butterfly found and I can see how someone would easily think it was part of an earring...

I don’t think it’s a coincidence. I know many gold Pulsar watches have been sold through classified ads and probably many JA rings... but together? And during the exact time frame out Jane Doe would have disappeared/died?

6E9975E7-58D7-46C4-AAD4-DC0C248CA7CE.jpeg 10F7770A-C969-4EDF-924C-4E4FF3F81D13.jpeg 354B3E2C-A890-40C2-A891-B77D976DFA57.jpeg
www.mercari.com

What do y’all think??

Last edited:
:eek:
Sharon Zelinski McCully – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Missing Person / NamUs #MP8651
Sharon Zelinski McCully, Female, White / Caucasian
1D876181-7E65-449E-9D7A-F97717300A6B.jpeg
Missing Since: December 11, 1984
Missing From: Austin, Travis County, Texas
Missing Age: 25 years
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 130 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Tattoo: Tattoo of a yellow and red rose on her abdomen.
Clothing and Accessories: Dark blue slacks with white pin stripes, an unknown color of blouse, white tennis shoes with red stripes. She wears contact lenses

Circumstances of Disappearance: McCully was last seen at Howard Lane and Interstate 35. She was on a Christmas shopping trip, and had just left her husband after a lunch date. Her Volkswagen was seen on Bee Cave Road that day, and in the area where Barton Creek Square is now located. It was found at an apartment complex on Research Boulevard. She was a nurse with hopes of going to medical school. A resident told police she saw a woman fitting McCully's description getting out of the car with a man, but the tip didn't develop. Fingerprints were found on her car but there hasn't been enough physical evidence to link anyone to the crime.

5E04C583-43E4-4BF4-9977-AE245462795B.jpeg
Carl’s recon on the left, Sharon on the right

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater