DE DE - Fenwick Island, UP8918, Human hair & personal items in water, Jul'11

cinders

Reaction score
FENWICK ISLAND, Del.- Authorities have released photos of a various personal items that a surf fisherman found in the area of the beach north of Fenwick Island.

Delaware State Police say that on Friday afternoon, July 13, a 67-year-old fisherman from Grasonville, Md., found a small quantity of hair on Friday afternoon after his hook was entangled in debris. Authorities do not yet know whether the hair is human or comes from an animal.

The fisherman also found a pair of sunglasses, a shark tooth necklace and hair bands. The items were turned over to police on Saturday morning.

Police investigators have turned the items over to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for additional analysis.

To offer information regarding the items, contact police at (302) 856-5850, ext 230. Citizens may also provide a tip by texting keyword "DSP" plus your message to 274637 (CRIMES). Tipsters may also call to provide information through lines maintained by Delaware Crime Stoppers at (800) TIP-3333. Callers can also submit information via the Internet at www.tipsubmit.com.

Attachments

• 15082270_BG2.jpg
    15082270_BG2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 15082270_BG1.jpg
    15082270_BG1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 79
Do you have a link for that article, Cinders?

I was about to post the same case, I saw the link in Namus.
https://identifyus.org/cases/8918

There are more detailed photos of the items.

Fisherman caught quantity of hair in ocean while surfcasting from beach north of Fenwick Island, DE. Hair presents as human and was comingled with prescription glasses which are Fossil brand model Mitchell ODR5 140, multicolor hair elastics and shark tooth necklace with word REP DOM on back(dot) hair currently undergoing DNA analysis.

On July 10, 2011 a person who was surf fishing off a beach north of Fenwick Island caught a clump of human hair with ocean foliage attached to it. He gave the hair to police the same day.

On July 11, 2011 a lifeguard located a small amount of human hair and other accessories while walking along the beach in front of Ocean Village, Bethany Beach. He turned over the hair and other accessories to the police.

Namus says hair color is green.

or Dominican Republic (in Spanish it is Republica Dominicana)

This one caught my attention because of the human hair and the shark tooth necklace.

UP#8198

DEMOGRAPHICS
N/A

CIRCUMSTANCES
Found: July 10, 2011
Location: Beach north of Fenwick Island, Sussex County, Delaware

Narrative: On July 10, 2011 a surf fisherman at a beach north of Fenwick Island caught a clump of human hair with ocean foliage attached. He gave the hair to police the same day. On July 11, 2011 a lifeguard located a small amount of human hair and other accessories while walking along the beach in front of Ocean Village, Bethany Beach. He turned over the hair and other accessories to the police. Another fisherman also caught quantity of hair in ocean while surf casting from beach north of Fenwick Island, DE.
The hair presented as human and DNA analysis subsequently determined the hair was human. The hair was co-mingled with prescription glasses, identifiable as "Fossil" brand, model Mitchell ODR5 140. Additional items included multicolor hair elastics and shark tooth necklace with word REP DOM on back.
DNA analysis yielded a full, single-source mitochondrial profile, which does not currently match any other known missing persons case.

PHYSICAL/MEDICAL
Brown hair

CLOTHING/ACCESSORIES
  1. A multi-colored (yellow, orange, brown, green) crocheted yarn bracelet with brown loops on either end.
  2. A light brown and dark brown twine macrame or knot-stitched necklace with an apparent shark tooth pendant w/ etched inscription of "REP.DOM". The shark tooth is approximately 3 cm wide and 5 cm high.
  3. A dirtied white shoelace with clumps of hair entangled within.
  4. A mottled brown-and orange piece of string or narrow bore twine with an approximate diameter of 1 mm.
  5. What appears to be a five strand strip of 3 neon red and 2 neon blue cording with an approximate diameter of 1.5 to 2 mm for each cord.
  6. A blue puka-type bracelet containing alternating tan to white seashells, white puka shells and light tan and dark tan brown beads. There is no obvious closure mechanism, therefore it is thought that the shells and beads are strung on elastic cording. The puka shells appear to be approximately 3 mm in diameter and the tan and white seashells appear to be approximately 6 mm wide by 8 mm high.
  7. A pair of Fossil Mitchell Black Semi Matte (0DR5) Eyeglasses which have a matte black frame with black and yellow divided colors on both distal ends of the temple. On the left temple is "Mitchell 0DR5 140" inscribed, and on the right temple "FOSSIL" is inscribed. On the distal ends of both left and right temples "FOSSIL" is inscribed. The nose pads and pad arms are bent in an anterior lateral direction pressing up against their respective lenses. Both wire rims (left and right) are 6 cm in length to 2.5 cm in height to approximately 3 mm in depth. The right lens has previous abuse, and the left lens is absent from the frame. The prescription of the lens is 0.25-1X117 and is distant vision only. The lens is also transitional (gets darker with light).
  8. A black cloth covered bracelet with what looks like a red stretch cord interior that has an approximate diameter of 4 mm.
  9. A mottled brown-and orange piece of string or narrow bore twine with an approximate diameter of 1 mm.

IDENTIFIERS
DNA: Sample Available - Tests Complete
Dentals: N/A
Fingerprints: N/A

Weird, I had searched using the NamUs number before posting and this thread didn't come up. Huh.

Thank you Migmuu for bumping this case.

Mitchel design of Fossil brand glasses were manufactured in 2010 and sold as 2011 collection for around $120 - $150 mainly online. Not sure if they started selling them already in 2010. These "remains" were found in summer of 2011. These glasses narrow down time frame of possible missing person considerably and actually rules out anyone missing prior to 2010.
http://www.go-optic.com/store/eyeglasses/details.asp?id=49092

One website listed Mitchell Fossil glasses as unisex, but all rest of them listed them as manufactured for male wearer. Shark tooth pendant reinforces my belief that "remains" could come from male, despite my first thought of female due to hairbands and hair found (by 3 different people).

It is really strange, I mean I would never notice a bit of hair in sand while walking on the beach. It must have been proper chunk of them for someone to notice. And also for the other 2 separate fisherman to find further hair and things in water, it must have been considerable amount for them to worry and raise the alarm.

There are nearly 10 million people in the Dominican Republic as opposed to just 73 000 in Dominica. There can be a little bit of confusion between the two places when it comes to things even like international mail, which has been known to make inadvertent stops in the republic first en route to Dominica. Both are also highly dependent upon foreign tourism.

The Dominican Republic is the second-largest economy in the Caribbean and a major luxury resort destination, while Dominica markets itself in a different direction, depending mostly upon eco-tourism and passing cruise ships as it has few natural beaches.
http://basementgeographer.com/two-sets-of-dominicans-dominica-vs-the-dominican-republic/
So quite a bit of difference between those two countries. For some reason I see this person being visitor of latter. JMO.
"Remains" were found around Fenwick Island coast, very close to Maryland border, but also very close to big Assawoman Wildlife Area.

Another thing what spooks me a bit, there was a missing person case few min away in the same area where person disappeared after canoe overturned. When I saw picture I almost fainted. Look at the glasses and that hair.

Search.jpg
428163_10150596953313786_1975109348_n.jpg

Nick Townsend however went missing in 2012, one year AFTER things were found and was later recovered (deceased). Still I can't get my head around it and overall around this strange case.

Links to Nick case just for your information
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...enwick-Island-2-March-2012-possible-foul-play
https://www.facebook.com/oceancityt...45012823785/10150596953313786/?type=1&theater
https://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/2012/03/15/search-continues-for-missing-oc-man/

By the way - A multi-colored (yellow, orange, brown, green) crocheted yarn bracelet with brown loops on either end - seems to me like Rastafarian colours or some Caribbean flag. If rastafarian, it could explain lots of hair.

Current missing person exclusions:
MP6945 MyungKi Kim 10/25/2009 Sussex DE
MP5622 Gregory Forte 02/09/2010 Sussex DE
MP7872 David Whitehair 04/23/2010 Kent DE

Close up photos:
B778DD8B-B3ED-41BD-BE37-89CC0C857F6E.jpeg 19AA8162-BB1C-4D66-98B9-884E45C85F97.jpeg
3B0DAB24-54DF-484F-90B0-73A0CB912A57.jpeg 04BFB53D-7EF2-4D7F-A6C9-B4083BEABF6F.jpeg
74F394CD-EE65-4C89-BD8B-3E40230169AD.jpeg 40919B94-9244-463A-BB68-4A56C17425FF.jpeg
101B6781-80CC-45F0-8F9F-42F20EE0A4DD.jpeg 722852F9-0C77-49EB-9A83-CECD312677E7.jpeg DC5F8CE4-9E85-425F-8E5F-0E1C3A30DF4C.jpeg

I'm confused...was the hair really green? He must have been alternative, new age hippie...seeing his jewelry. Stupid comment....we all guessed that.....

I'm confused...was the hair really green? He must have been alternative, new age hippie...seeing his jewelry. Stupid comment....we all guessed that.....
I was looking at the close ups and a couple had a few strands of the hair that you could see fairly well...I didn’t see green...lol. It did look light and probably chemically processed at some point, but definitely not a “St. Patrick’s Day” green. I pictured a ‘surfer type dude’. There’s certainly an aquatic them to the items and I see the DR aspects as well.

I was just commenting on another thread about where something could end up if thrown into the ocean. The bad storms that hit the DR not too long ago come to mind...

Could this represent the colors of the Haitian flag? 1653328799246.png

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288