992 users online (222 members and 770 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Casey Is NOT Safe From Double Jeopardy Laws?

Just ask

William Dunlop
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/press_releases/152_06/

Or

Mark Weston
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/de...ouble-jeopardy

Double jeopardy laws have been changed in England, Wales and some States of Australia. It can certainly happen in America and it can be retrospective. It only takes ONE person to take on the system and change it.

Please note the law changes were in England and other countries, not here in the US. But it may be something the US legislature would consider?

Salem

I would certainly vote for it to change.
    It's obscene to see someone get away with the murder of a little child.

I can't see that ever happening here in the U.S. It would be too difficult to use here and it would take forever for each case to work its way through the courts to resolve questions of whether the standard of 'new and compelling' has been met. And I don't think the Supreme Court would ever call it constitutional.

No way this will happen...and pretty sure it would be retroactive anyway...
    Just my opinion, of course.

Even if the double jeopardy laws did change, it most likely would only apply to people who committed their crimes after the law changed.

We don't even prosecute half the crimes that take place now...they only take on ones they feel sure they can win, they are not going to try people over and over...

yes she is safe from double jeopardy and yeah the laws would only apply to to crimes after the law changed .my cousin is a lawyer so i asked him LOL ..

I doubt that the double jeopardy laws would ever change in this country. If they did change, it wouldn't be as simple as every DA in the country could just re-charge every person who had been acquitted in their jurisdiction. The Supreme Court in every state would probably have to approve the request to go for a second trial, and the prosecution would have to show that they had discovered new damning evidence that hadn't been available at the time of the first trial, such as DNA.

It will never happen.

I am not getting my hopes up at all, but I do agree something needs to change. People keep saying it's sour system and we should just accept and respect it, but I simply cannot accept or respect a system that allows a child murderer to go free. Are reevaluation and reassessment not a good thing? Should we not frequently reflect on certain aspects of our system of justice and evaluate what things could be changed for the better?
    Vinnie Politan "HUG the KIDS ... give them the love Caylee deserved but did not get from her mother"

Kelsey's story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWow42TCwzg

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaM View Post
    I can't see that ever happening here in the U.S. It would be too difficult to use here and it would take forever for each case to work its way through the courts to resolve questions of whether the standard of 'new and compelling' has been met. And I don't think the Supreme Court would ever call it constitutional.
    Plenty of people said exactly the same thing in the UK and Australia, it can't be done, it won't happen, etc. but it did happen and the laws were changed and it could happen in the US as well.

The impetus for it occurring in England was the boasting of Billy Dunlop - it only takes one case and a hell of a lot of determination and lobbying by someone who believes in it enough.

I'd like to see it change here in the US as well but even if it does it would be too late to use against ICA. It wouldn't be retroactive.

Quote Originally Posted by darnudes View Post
    Plenty of people said exactly the same thing in the UK and Australia, it can't be done, it won't happen, etc. but it did happen and the laws were changed and it could happen in the US as well.

The impetus for it occurring in England was the boasting of Billy Dunlop - it only takes one case and a hell of a lot of determination and lobbying by someone who believes in it enough.
    It's galling to see a murderer go free and not be able to have another chance to bring justice. I hate the verdict! However, chipping away at the Fifth Amendment rights that we all share is, IMO, much more horrifying. Would we really want to give our local, state, and federal government the power to hound us, even if we are innocent of wrongdoing, with repeated trials, turning our lives to chaos and depleting all our resources? As taxpayers, would we want to foot the bill for multiple trials brought by prosecutors who might be hellbent on winning weak cases?

No way would I want this here in the US.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast