1117 users online (222 members and 895 guests)  

Websleuths News

OK - Two nurses charged with raping OK prison inmate

Nurses charged with raping Oklahoma prison inmate
    ---
    Nurses Kristina Marie Knutson, 30, of Pauls Valley, and Debra Joanne Harms, 48, of Noble, were charged Thursday [with second-degree rape] in Cleveland County District Court after a Corrections Department investigation turned up evidence they had been having sex with inmate Craig Kruger, 33, prison spokesman Jerry Massie said.

Kruger is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder, records show.
    ---
    more at Sunday Oklahoman link above

Under Oklahoma law, it is considered rape for anyone with authority over an inmate to have sex with the individual because an incarcerated person is not considered to have free will to give consent, Massie said.

Read more: http://newsok.com/nurses-charged-wit...#ixzz1SOToyoqV
    Hmmmm? That is a progressive way of looking at it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyGirl View Post
    That is startlingly progressive, for Oklahoma, especially.

Under that same precept exists the fact that when Thomas Jefferson had intercourse with Sally Hemmings,
    it was rape - as slaves had no recourse of refusal.

I've found Oklahoma to have some rather intriguing laws concerning this issue. I was also surprised to learn that a teacher of any school can be charged with rape when having sexual contact with a student....even if that student is over the age of consent. We have a thread about a coach who had sexual contact with a young woman who was 18:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131095"]OK~Coach, Ben Forsythe, charged with rape/"affair" with 18 yr. old player - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

The age of consent in Oklahoma is 16 but no student can give consent to a teacher or other employee of a school system where they attend until the age of 20.

http://********************************...of-sex-crimes/

"....Under Oklahoma law, the legal age of consent for sex is 16; however, Oklahoma statutory rape law stipulates other individuals besides minors under 16 who are unable to give legal consent. The Oklahoma statutes consider it to be rape if "the victim is at least sixteen (16) years of age and is less than twenty (20) years of age and is a student, or under the legal custody or supervision of any public or private elementary or secondary school, junior high or high school, or public vocational school, and engages ins sexual intercourse with a person who is eighteen (18) years of age or older and is an employee of the same school system."

This means that no student between 16 and 20 years of age is able to give legal consent to sex with an employee of the school system in which he or she is enrolled. Even if the student agrees to sex or initiates sex, Oklahoma law considers the action to be statutory rape. Statutory rape in Oklahoma is prosecuted as second degree rape...."

My guess is that a similar law exists concerning prisoners as there's the issue of power and authority. I have no doubt that these nurses knew the law when they signed on for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I've found Oklahoma to have some rather intriguing laws concerning this issue. I was also surprised to learn that a teacher of any school can be charged with rape when having sexual contact with a student....even if that student is over the age of consent. We have a thread about a coach who had sexual contact with a young woman who was 18:

OK~Coach, Ben Forsythe, charged with rape/"affair" with 18 yr. old player - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The age of consent in Oklahoma is 16 but no student can give consent to a teacher or other employee of a school system where they attend until the age of 20.

http://********************************...of-sex-crimes/

"....Under Oklahoma law, the legal age of consent for sex is 16; however, Oklahoma statutory rape law stipulates other individuals besides minors under 16 who are unable to give legal consent. The Oklahoma statutes consider it to be rape if "the victim is at least sixteen (16) years of age and is less than twenty (20) years of age and is a student, or under the legal custody or supervision of any public or private elementary or secondary school, junior high or high school, or public vocational school, and engages ins sexual intercourse with a person who is eighteen (18) years of age or older and is an employee of the same school system."

This means that no student between 16 and 20 years of age is able to give legal consent to sex with an employee of the school system in which he or she is enrolled. Even if the student agrees to sex or initiates sex, Oklahoma law considers the action to be statutory rape. Statutory rape in Oklahoma is prosecuted as second degree rape...."

My guess is that a similar law exists concerning prisoners as there's the issue of power and authority. I have no doubt that these nurses knew the law when they signed on for the job.
    It’s not only Oklahoma. The North Carolina Department of Correction has a zero tolerance for “undue familiarity” ... North Carolina General Statute 14-27.7 ( 1993 ):

Intercourse consent is no defense: if a person having custody of a victim of any age or a person, who is an agent or employee of any person, or institution, whether such institution is private, charitable or governmental, having custody of a victim of any age engages in vaginal intercourse or a sexual act with such victim, the defendant is guilty of a Class E felony. (The penalty for a class E felony shall be a fine at the discretion of the court and imprisonment for a term, between 20 and 59 months depending on the amount and kind of prior offenses).

Staff training related to "undue familiarity" is mandatory.

Russell
    Even chaos is well patterned.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    yeah, cause that's worth destroying your family, career & future over

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyGirl View Post
    Its the same here in Idaho,I worked as a correctional officer for seven years and in that time there were six different incidences of female staff having inapproriate relations with male inmates.
    Ussually it just led to dismissal for the staff member but the last one they prosecuted.
    I kind of found it hard to understand but it happened frequently enough.I guess if you really want a case of Hepititus C that bad....

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    yeah, cause that's worth destroying your family, career & future over
    That was my first thought too! They know full well that could ruin their lives - it's not THAT hard to control yourself, especially on the job! NO man's that devilishly handsome and/or charming!

OK, I saw his picture on another article. And...meh. Not close to I'd-gladly-lose-my-career-over-that.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-...,0,44711.story

One of them also brought in contraband for him...tobacco. Then after he transferred prisons, they both kept calling and writing him at the new prison talking about their little trysts. Helloooo, guards monitor these things! How dumb, dumb, dumb can you get??

Quote Originally Posted by reen View Post
    That was my first thought too! They know full well that could ruin their lives - it's not THAT hard to control yourself, especially on the job! NO man's that devilishly handsome and/or charming!

OK, I saw his picture on another article. And...meh. Not close to I'd-gladly-lose-my-career-over-that.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-...,0,44711.story

One of them also brought in contraband for him...tobacco. Then after he transferred prisons, they both kept calling and writing him at the new prison talking about their little trysts. Helloooo, guards monitor these things! How dumb, dumb, dumb can you get??
    Yeah thats what happened in one of the cases I mentioned,questions were raised and the female staff denied them vehemently so to error on the side of caution the inmate was transfered to a different institution....well she kept writing him then officers doing a routine search at his new home found her letters...
    imagine her chagrin....not to mention her husband who defended her against the alegations.

I think that guards are not immune from having self-confidence issues and therefore are fair game for grooming by inmates. After all, these guys have nothing to do other than plot and plan. What a game to get a guard or a nurse to do your bidding. But these women have had training and they've been warned. An adult woman should protect herself from grooming.

It can also work the other way, too. Women can be on a power trip and really get off on seducing a guy who has no other choices. We've had threads on guards, nurses, doctors and therapists who've fallen into this trap. They shouldn't be working with the incarcerated if they can't behave themselves. They bring shame to those who do their jobs with honor.

Instances like this are exactly the reason the laws were written the way they were. What a humiliating thing to do to your family and friends.