GUILTY UK - Nurse accused in insulin poisonings, deaths at Stepping Hill Hospital, 2011

badhorsie

Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...
Reaction score
Website
ruralidyll.blogspot.com
Last Tuesday a nurse at Stepping Hill Hospital noticed after a round that many patients on her ward had very low sugar levels.

She informed her superiors, checks were done and it was discovered that bags of IVI saline had pin pricks and had been injected with insulin

Three patients have died and another is seriously ill.
Have we got another Allitt at work here?

Good series of articles at this link

Daily Mail has a major go at it:

Nurse, 26, arrested on suspicion of murder of three patients who died after drips were tampered with
*Fourth 'victim' critically ill as damaged drip found on maternity ward is reported to police
*Staff at the hospital had been told to work in pairs
*60 detectives investigating medication sabotage after three deaths

etc. etc.

Long article, with pictures of a diabetic actor, the sadly deceased (who all look like people you'd be glad to
know), the investigative stalwarts, an agency-worker building, the front of the hospital, etc., at DM link above.

Courtesy of the BBC we now have a picture of the suspect
nurse.jpg

and some more detailed information on the BBC's news website
Rebecca Leighton, 27, of Heaviley, Stockport, was arrested at home and is being questioned after two men and a woman died at Stepping Hill Hospital.

Police believe insulin was deliberately injected into saline containers.

Ah, the Mail, they have her convicted already. 'Fun-loving,' they say - the kiss of death from them! And - "she often changes her hairstyle." GUILTY AS CHARGED, THEN. Can't get them for libel, though - they've put 'party girl' in quotes, the wily scamps.

I'm guessing she will be found not guilty. Police were up against it on this one, have to charge somebody.

Her Facebook, I wonder if the baby is hers?

I must say I am a bit surprised that she has been named, would think that the media would be a bit more cautious after the Chris Jefferies fiasco

Reading through her FB seems she does a lot of nights and complains of being tired a lot.
May have applied for a promotion in the spring but doesn't say whether she got it.

Two more dead, this takes the total to five and a 41 year old man remains critically ill.
No charges yet,
From above link;
"Detectives have been given extra time by a superintendent to question her. They now have until 1800 BST, or will have to apply to the magistrates' court for further time."

I suppose what's of particular concern - the real scare factor - in cases like this (well, besides being murdered in one's hospital bed, that is), is what Hannah Arendt, in her study of Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann, called "the banality of evil." A friend, on RL: "I found her just to be a normal person, like any mate" (Daily Mail).

W.H. Auden isn't talking about evil here - rather, in part, the results of evil - but does capture something of this when he writes, in '"Musée des Beaux Arts,"
About suffering they were never wrong,
The old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position: how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along

It's the complete commonality of evil which is the cause for concern - not the monster in the closet or the vengeful ghost in the shadows of the pantry. It's the person living next door, or down the block.

But RL hasn't even been charged yet. And if she is, that does not mean she is guilty. I would think scores of people had access to the saline drip. Good luck convicting her if they don't have fingerprints and an eye-witness.

..officers have now been granted a warrant of further detention to question Rebecca Leighton, they now have until 0905 BST on Friday.

It always upsets me when the papers do this. I wish they wouldn't rake people over the coals before they've even been charged with something.
I dread to think what they'd say about me if they saw some of my photos, in some I'm even holding two babies!

I agree with you Fluttershy. There should be legislation about it, Innocent until proven guilty is a phrase that seems to be totally forgotten now

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back