Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post
    I don't blame this one on the jury. Sorry.
    I don't blame the jury entirely, BH is a mess, but see below if you think they honestly applied reasonable doubt appropriately.

Definition of COMMON SENSE (Merriam Webster Dictionary)
    Sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.

“It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.”
    ~Robert Green Ingersoll

“One pound of learning requires ten pounds of common sense to apply it.”
    ~Persian Proverb quotes

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to No Coincidence For This Useful Post:

Just an update here in Brevard. There have been no sightings of JY since being bonded out. That's probably because he and his family know that people here believe he is guilty as he!!.

And I do blame the jury. There is no way to reasonably explain his leaving the hotel in clothing that was never recovered, security camera unplugged, security camera plugged back in by maintenance and then moved, and no keycard recording of his re-entering his hotel room. Really?? All of this happens on the one night in his life that his wife is murdered?? IMHO, I think there were 8 idiots on the jury.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tarheel8600 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel8600 View Post
    Just an update here in Brevard. There have been no sightings of JY since being bonded out. That's probably because he and his family know that people here believe he is guilty as he!!.

And I do blame the jury. There is no way to reasonably explain his leaving the hotel in clothing that was never recovered, security camera unplugged, security camera plugged back in by maintenance and then moved, and no keycard recording of his re-entering his hotel room. Really?? All of this happens on the one night in his life that his wife is murdered?? IMHO, I think there were 8 idiots on the jury.
    I have family (sis+) in Brevard and they don't agree with you that Jason is guilty. Jason is there according to them and has been seen all around town and many folks like him and his family. Plus, the testimony was that the hotel camera was plugged back in and there are no missing clothes and that fits with the majority of not guilty verdict.

Please don't trash the jury and call them idiots just because they don't see it the same way you do. These trials are complicated. All the jury bashing is getting carried away imo.

I have family (sis+) in Brevard and they don't agree with you that Jason is guilty. Jason is there according to them and has been seen all around town and many folks like him and his family. Plus, the testimony was that the hotel camera was plugged back in and there are no missing clothes and that fits with the majority of not guilty verdict.

Please don't trash the jury and call them idiots just because they don't see it the same way you do. These trials are complicated. All the jury bashing is getting carried away imo.
    I haven't caught up with the thread yet, but the jury is the selected peer group that makes a decision. I have some serious reservations about what happened recently in Florida, but the trial of Jason Young was nothing like that. There were some serious questions about the gas station witness, the mileage that he apparently had, gas purchases and who was seen at the house in the morning after the murder ... there was some arm waving by the prosecution during his trial and most importantly, when the prosecutor had a chance to cross examine the accused, the prosecutor said that she didn't want to ask him questions because she would only be giving him an opportunity to tell more lies. That was about the strangest remark to pop out of a prosecutor's mouth because revealing the lies is her job .. if they were lies, was she not able to reveal that, or what? Why was the prosecutor, in this case, basing the case on the fact that he wouldn't speak and when she had the opportunity to ask him anything she wanted under oath, she crumbled because she couldn't expose his lies? It's almost absurd.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel8600 View Post

If he stepped out to smoke a cigar and left his hotel door propped open, and the outsie door propped with a branch, then there would be no keycard recording. Also, the doors weren't functioning properly so no keycard was needed for the outside door. The cameras were tampered with, but it had happened before.

He went to his room, changed, went to the front desk, grabbed a newspaper and a water bottle, went out for a smoke, went back to his room, came down around 6:30 AM, got lost on the way to an appointment, phoned mom about 37 times and then fell to his knees when he was told about the murder. I think the mistake was that he said something about his son first ... not his wife. He can always have more children with his wife, so presumably that should be the more important person to him. Instead, during trial, we heard that he was in the recliner babbling about his unborn son ... that doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by No Coincidence View Post
    I don't blame the jury entirely, BH is a mess, but see below if you think they honestly applied reasonable doubt appropriately.

Definition of COMMON SENSE (Merriam Webster Dictionary)
    Sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.

“It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.”
    ~Robert Green Ingersoll

“One pound of learning requires ten pounds of common sense to apply it.”
    ~Persian Proverb quotes
    The Jury was Spot On! There were serious weaknesses in the prosecution's case which became painfully apparent when the prosecution had an opportunity to cross examine Jason Young under oath in the courtroom and they stepped down. It is an absolute gift to a confident prosecution to have a suspect under oath, but what we saw was a floundering prosecution that caved and backed down. What's a jury supposed to think? I would think that the case was built on toothpicks.

The more I look through the thread, the more I see that the jury is being attacked for their verdict. In the Brad Cooper case, the jury was Spot On and in this case, the jury pool was the same. How is it possible that the peer group could be Spot On one day, and be completely whacked the next? I don't believe it. The Cooper case was strong, this case was weak. It has nothing to do with the jury, and the case has nothing in common with the Anthony case - simply because the lawyers in NC observed the rules of law. It's hard to accept that the case was weak, but it was. There were holes all over the place and when the defense lawyers closed with the mileage calculations, they were right.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
    It starts from scratch but evidence is evidence whether used in the first trial or not IMO. I think he might testify again thinking it worked in the first trial... being he pulled No Coincidence's blanket over the jurors eyes .
    I doubt he'll testify at a second trial. The first trial was based on the claim that Jason wouldn't talk ... so he talked. In the next trial it would be wise not to mention the fact that he wouldn't talk as implicating guilt ... so talking wouldn't be to his benefit.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    The more I look through the thread, the more I see that the jury is being attacked for their verdict. In the Brad Cooper case, the jury was Spot On and in this case, the jury pool was the same. How is it possible that the peer group could be Spot On one day, and be completely whacked the next? I don't believe it. The Cooper case was strong, this case was weak. It has nothing to do with the jury, and the case has nothing in common with the Anthony case - simply because the lawyers in NC observed the rules of law. It's hard to accept that the case was weak, but it was. There were holes all over the place and when the defense lawyers closed with the mileage calculations, they were right.
    I agree with you about the jury-bashing on this case. It was a very weak case to begin with and the jury could not ignore those mileage calculations no matter how big a jerk he was to his wife. I think it would have been easy to convict him if he didn't have the out-of-town alibi.

I doubt he'll testify at a second trial. The first trial was based on the claim that Jason wouldn't talk ... so he talked. In the next trial it would be wise not to mention the fact that he wouldn't talk as implicating guilt ... so talking wouldn't be to his benefit.
    Well then, how will jury hear about going out to 'smoke a cigar' and read the USA Today?
    The explanation about the HP shoes going to goodwill?
    The reason he parked on the side of the building, instead of in front?
    Why the net searches for "head trauma knockout"?

Just like round 1, he has to testify, imo.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just the Fax For This Useful Post:

I agree with you about the jury-bashing on this case. It was a very weak case to begin with and the jury could not ignore those mileage calculations no matter how big a jerk he was to his wife. I think it would have been easy to convict him if he didn't have the out-of-town alibi.
    IMO, the case was very strong....problem is the state presented a very weak case. Hopefully, they learned from their many mistakes, received some good tips from other lawyers and will slam dunk trial 2.

BTW, those mileage calculations could be easily explained.
    The state just dropped the ball.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just the Fax For This Useful Post:

Are you the same otto from the Cooper case

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Just the Fax For This Useful Post:

LOL JTF.

The case is and can be a strong one, IMHO. But in the hands of stuttering, bumbling "ummm...umm...um" ADA, and her reticence for righteous confrontation, the <modsnip> gets the upper hand.

And don't even get me started on them leaving out so many items of evidence during their direct. There's more there than they presented!

(note to mods: 'slayer' is the legal term given to Jason Young after he lost the wrongful death suit in 2009)
    Last edited by Salem; 08-16-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: It was discussed and determined that the term "slayer" is not going to be used. Please stop.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madeleine74 For This Useful Post:

How does the testimony that the hotel camera was plugged back in fit with a not guilty verdict? I think it implies guilt because it was unplugged in the first place. The unplugging of a hotel security camera doesn't happen to be a common occurrence according to the hotel staff. Also, after it was plugged back in, it was then tilted up by someone who REALLY must not have wanted to be seen on a camera. Wonder who was staying at the HI that night who didn't want to be seen?? Did another guest's spouse get murdered that night??

As far as the clothes are concerned, the shirt he was seen wearing in the hotel video surveillance around midnight was NOT in his luggage or his vehicle when he returned to Raleigh. Where did it go??

Maybe I shouldn't have called the 8 jurors idiots. It wasn't nice, and the prosecution certainly did not put on a stellar performance during the trial. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I do believe that JY is guilty, and I haven't talked with anyone here who feels differently. If he's been seen all around town, he's done a really good job of keeping it quiet. But then again, he's really good at keeping quiet...........

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tarheel8600 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    LOL JTF.

The case is and can be a strong one, IMHO. But in the hands of stuttering, bumbling "ummm...umm...um" ADA, and her reticence for righteous confrontation, the <modsnip> gets the upper hand.

And don't even get me started on them leaving out so many items of evidence during their direct. There's more there than they presented!

(note to mods: 'slayer' is the legal term given to Jason Young after he lost the wrongful death suit in 2009)
    Yessirino, Mad74! Where were the "What about ....." 's in the Young x-exam? The missing clothes/shoes he wore, his bruised and blistered feet, her purse left on the floor in the kitchen, the dog vs. the two "robbers," his not returning the calls from MIL the day after with a precious child & a pregnant wife & her not answering his calls that am, no forced entry w/Michelle there by herself with a child at night not locking everything down, taking the time to overkill her but only taking a few items, and so on....................

Talk about ahh-er-umming... I'll wager that JLY would've outdone even BH in his er-umms. Could he be that glib-ad-lib? ........(Talk about he!! freezing over, but possible nevertheless, IMO).

...Fairyland scenario: Boz on the firing line with Mr. Young.
    Last edited by Salem; 08-16-2011 at 06:09 PM.

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

25. The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast