701 users online (102 members and 599 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by time View Post
    ... snipped ...

Right now, we don't even know she actually died from the hanging do we?
    That's right - we don't!

We need more info/facts.

Quote Originally Posted by pferrin View Post
    Anger and vengeance can be expressed by completing suicide while naked, especially when it is intended to traumatize a survivor. The shock of discovering a naked suicide inflicts an indelible, traumatic memory that can haunt a survivor for a lifetime.12 The person who completes suicide while naked may intend to add insult to a suicide survivor's already devastating injury.
    http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/content/full/36/2/240

Ocean ..to me this is why the anger on her part doesn't make any sense..she had told her sis that she was going to hospital next day..she didn't tell her sis she was angry..I will find link on how body was found by police..be back soon.
    Ahh but we can never trust what a suicidal person says they are going to do. My daughter's friend told my daughter they were going to have lunch together but imo she had no intentions of ever meeting her. She had already made plans to kill herself and did.

So what if Rebecca was really being told that it was best she didn't come to the hospital? She wouldn't want to tell her family that imo.

I am sure they were asking her had she seen him yet so she said she was going to 'tomorrow' because she knew 'tomorrow' was never going to happen.

IMO
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    Thank you. Do you have a MSM article saying the same thing as deathby1000papercuts?

imo
    Looking...found this article, doesn't say face down, but does say:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mysterious-...ry?id=14080327

Authorities discovered Zahau's body on Wednesday after a houseguest, Adam Shacknai, told police he found her completely naked with a rope around her neck hanging from a balcony off the main house.
    When police arrived at the historic Spreckels Mansion, owned by Shacknai's brother Jonah Shacknai, Zahau's multimillionaire boyfriend, they found the 32-year-old's body on the lawn in the backyard. Shacknai told them he had cut her down.
    Zahau's hands were bound behind her back and her feet were bound, but her hands and feet did not appear ever to have been bound together, police said. Though Adam Shacknai said she was hanging from a rope, investigators did not disclose what kind of material bound her hands and feet.

The home's balcony, which lies outside of a bedroom, is about 10 to 15 feet from the ground. Police were not immediately aware how Zahau's body would have been anchored if, indeed, it had been hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by pferrin View Post
    Anger and vengeance can be expressed by completing suicide while naked, especially when it is intended to traumatize a survivor. The shock of discovering a naked suicide inflicts an indelible, traumatic memory that can haunt a survivor for a lifetime.12 The person who completes suicide while naked may intend to add insult to a suicide survivor's already devastating injury.
    http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/content/full/36/2/240

Ocean ..to me this is why the anger on her part doesnt make any sense..she had told her sis that she was going to hospital next day..she didnt tell her sis she was angry..I will find link on how body was found by police..be back soon.

Also, I hope everyone will head the author in taking any conclusions from this research:
    Given the dearth of information available about naked suicide, this article is offered as an initial exploration of this topic. It is hoped that letters to the editor and case reports in response will stimulate discourse about this little understood phenomenon.
    This is exploratory research, not any unified theory or in depth research on the topic - that's typical when a topic hasn't been researched much and there is no rich body of work to reference on the actual topic. This is why the author says. "anecdotal evidence indicates that it occurs more frequently with hanging, overdose, or drowning, but to a lesser extent in jumping deaths. " Those are hedge words in research. There is no way to know how strong this anecdotal evidence is or if it would stand up in further research.

In sum, these are the only conclusions this author is making:

Conclusions

What is the significance of naked suicide? Can the individual's nakedness provide insight into his or her psyche at the time of death? Can such knowledge assist clinicians in the treatment of patients who have attempted suicide while naked? Naked suicide attempts and completions remain largely unexplored, both by clinicians and in the professional literature. The percentage of suicides that are completed while naked is unknown. Individuals who make naked suicide attempts should be considered at high risk for suicide. In the author's clinical experience, deliberate self-harm behaviors are usually not inflicted while naked. Naked suicide attempts are high-risk events, especially when the underlying fantasy is death and rebirth.

A psychological autopsy may uncover the meaning of a naked suicide. In the mosaic of factors associated with suicide attempts and completions, nakedness or the state of dishabille is a piece, sometimes a critical piece, of evidence. Forensic psychiatrists and treating clinicians who encounter naked suicide attempts or completed suicides are afforded a unique opportunity to further the understanding of this little understood phenomenon.

I think it's an interesting article, but there are no statistics in this article that are definitive. There is a small amount of discussion about committing naked suicide when the method is hanging. Maybe some on committing suicide in public naked and so on.... but what we have is

a woman
    hanging
    bound
    naked
    very public

Not to mention the other possible factors, e.g., like one poster mentioned that Rebecca would probably not want to put Jonah through further grief.

http://news.lalate.com/2011/07/18/re...urtyard-table/ another link that says she was found face down when police arrive

Quote Originally Posted by mrsu View Post
    ... snipped ...

Police were not immediately aware how Zahau's body would have been anchored if, indeed, it had been hanging.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mysterious-...ry?id=14080327
    Say what?????

ETA: So does this mean the "cut her down" statement was false? There was no remaining noose rope left attached to the balcony (or whatever) when police arrived?

Rut roh!

Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    That's right - we don't!

We need more info/facts.
    I think we are pretty safe to say the COD will be death by hanging. The ME wouldn't need weeks to determine that imo.

What they are waiting on is to see if she had alcohol or drugs in her system at the time and if they found them in the room she stayed in or scattered about on her dresser. Imo if found they will test the bottles for fingerprints.

Where they found her clothing will tell them whether they were ripped off or simply taken off and dropped in a neat pile or laid across her bed.

IMO
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    To untie the rope and lower her to the ground would have meant that he would have had to bend WAY OVER on that balcony to get her all the way to the ground. I don't think that rope was long enough for him to be physically able to do that - he would have bent way over the iron railing and still would have had to let her go at one point.

Plus, he did say he cut her down.

Wish we had more info. Where were all the major players when Adam found her? Was the ex-wife/mother at the hospital? Was the father at the hospital? Did any of the staff of the house stay at the house or did they all live elsewhere - sometimes with mansions this big there is a caretaker or maid that will live in one of the guest houses and be on call 24/7.

The report of a "party" or "loud music" is unsettling too. With a small child in the hospital on life support WHO in their right mind would be playing loud music or, heaven forbid, be hosting a party?

And the bit about the "Hot Diggity Dogs" guy and boarding the dog?

This is defnintely very strange all the way around.
    I want to hear all the alibis. The loud music could have been used to cover up any news made while RN was being attacked. Just sayin. I have heard over and over there was no party that night. Excellent point about the onsite maid but I'm sure we'd have heard of an interview with such a person. Who knows that Rebecca didn't send her on her way, she was boarding the dog.

Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Anyone have a clear picture of the crime scene? One that shows both where she is on the ground AND the balcony above? I just went back and looked through them all. The only one I found with both in it was blurry.

I want to blow up a pic of the balcony to see if there is any "bending" of the wrought iron work on the balcony. If she was hanging by that iron work - it is possible that it might have bent under the weight. But then again it might not have. I've grown up with wrought iron work all around me - on porches, blaconies, ornamental, etc. While it is very strong - it can (and usually does) weaken through the years. This mansion is over 100 years old and that iron work looks like it "came with the house".

I'm just curious as to the "condition" of that wrought iron on the balcony.

I go back and forth everyday on suicide vs murder. Today I am leaning towards murder. No sign of noose or anything hanging from the balcony. There is a long length of orange electrical cord on the ground attached to the body, but IIRC it does not trail from the neck area. Then you have the feet tied spaced apart as if she had been tied to a chair. Then add the rigor looks like she was in a sitting position for hours after she died. IIRC, rigor starts in the neck and moves down. And finally, I am just not seeing her balancing on a table binding her feet and hands (behind her back) while a noose is around her neck.

Hmmm....Something else just occurred to me. Where was the 13 y/o girl that was there when the boy went down the steps. Wasn't that an older daughter of JS and she would be staying at the house. I guess she could have left and gone back with her primary caretaker after the accident.

Wow, that's interesting about LE not being able to determine how she was hung.

Quote Originally Posted by sargenet View Post
    I apologize if this is wrong to think or post....

I was very curious as to why they took out a rolled up rug. I know a number of people have commented about the body and rigor motis etc and said she may have passed away some time before she was found...

I am also puzzled about the ties on her legs and also what was used to tie up her wrists. Electrical cord is hard to use and tie(I hate to roll ours up when doing yard work)...but I can see it being used as the long rope her body was hung with. But what about the other bindings? What were they??

I wonder if someone tied her up in the room before she was hung. Hence the straps tied to her leg. And I wonder if she was dead before she was hung.

Here is the part I am not sure I should post. I had thought I had read that people can lose control of their bodily functions upon death, especially a violent death. That if she hung herself, then there would be a chance that there would be signs there in the courtyard that she lost control of her bodily functions...

But if she was killed prior to hanging (especially if someone choked her) then those forensics would be in the room that this happened. Like maybe on a rug...

Sorry.. I do not mean to be gross. I am just as puzzled as everyone else. Just when I think "murder" I also hear about other things (like blue scarf) that are a sign of grief etc....
    BBM GREAT point! I was with many a family member in hospital, during their last hours, and I would watch the urine bag for the sign of letting go...then the smell would come of the bowels emptying. IF these signs are not outside, on her, or on the ground, imo, she was dead before hung.

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    I think we are pretty safe to say the COD will be death by hanging. The ME wouldn't need weeks to determine that imo.

What they are waiting on is to see if she had alcohol or drugs in her system at the time and if they found them in the room she stayed in or scattered about on her dresser. Imo if found they will test the bottles for fingerprints.

Where they found her clothing will tell them whether they were ripped off or simply taken off and dropped in a neat pile or laid across her bed.

IMO
    There seems to be so much more. If it was a simple death by hanging why seal the autopsy report? Why seal the 911 call?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Anyone have a clear picture of the crime scene? One that shows both where she is on the ground AND the balcony above? I just went back and looked through them all. The only one I found with both in it was blurry.

I want to blow up a pic of the balcony to see if there is any "bending" of the wrought iron work on the balcony. If she was hanging by that iron work - it is possible that it might have bent under the weight. But then again it might not have. I've grown up with wrought iron work all around me - on porches, blaconies, ornamental, etc. While it is very strong - it can (and usually does) weaken through the years. This mansion is over 100 years old and that iron work looks like it "came with the house".

I'm just curious as to the "condition" of that rout iron on the balcony.
    I think like everything else in this mansion the rout iron was strong and in good shape. I cant see a 12-13 million dollar home having shoddy weak iron work on the balcony.

She looked small to me so I think the balcony iron work would have no problem holding her weight up. It is probably riveted into a concrete foundation.

People commit suicide by tying the rope to a chandelier or even a shower head. All it takes is for the feet not to be able to touch the ground.

IMO

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast