909 users online (168 members and 741 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642

    Post 10 ways to keep cool at home without A/C

    Save energy this summer. Itís easy to keep your house cool without air conditioning. Employing a few basic environmentally friendly principals will help keep you cool and will help you save money.

    http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/1...t-a-c-2514394/


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Collingwood , Ontario
    Posts
    1,828
    Putting big fans in all your windows at night time is gonna cost twice as much as running one sweet air conditioner....turn the lights off put blinds on the Windows and one air conditioner cheaper and better...
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by CanManEh View Post
    Putting big fans in all your windows at night time is gonna cost twice as much as running one sweet air conditioner....turn the lights off put blinds on the Windows and one air conditioner cheaper and better...
    I don't know about "all" your windows, but we run two evaporative coolers (which are fans that blow over pans of water) on the roof for a fraction of what the a.c. costs. The only problem is that coolers don't work when it gets humid (about six weeks a year: it isn't always a "dry heat" here in the desert).

    The best investment we made was putting white shutters over every window in the house. They save us hundreds of dollars per month on electricity during the summer and serve as a unifying design element as you go from room to room inside (not that all your shutters have to match, but we found that worked for us).

    Another thing not mentioned in DK's article are thermal films (that's not the technical name) which go over the outside of your windows. They are thin sheets of stick-on plastic that block heat while letting in light (just like modern window glass does). They are easy to stick on the glass and practically invisible once in place. If you are like us and have antique windows you don't want to or can't afford to replace, the film is available at Home Depot.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,951
    A word of warning about those films--if you have double or triple-paned windows, don't use them. The heat builds up between the panes and causes the seals to break, then you get moisture between the panes of glass. I use the film in our attic windows and the transom over our front door because they are the original 1906 panes of glass. However, the rest of our windows are vinyl double-paned and it can ruin them.

    Our best investment was insulated drapes. We have them on most of our windows--they allowed us to turn up the thermostat to 72 degrees from 68 during the winter with no extra expenditure. During the summer, they do cooling duty.

    I am seriously missing my central air right now. It only got down to 82 muggy degrees last night. We have a 10,000BTU portable unit in the dining room which takes care of the entire downstairs, and two 5,000BTU window units upstairs which usually are enough to keep it comfortable, but they were really struggling last night.

    Thanks for the explanation about evaporative coolers, Nova. I've always wondered what they are.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,934
    When my back concrete patio finally gets in the shade, I hose it down really well. Concrete holds the heat and reflects it back toward the house. When the sun goes down, I hose off front concrete patio. We like a lot of the country have been in a horrible heat pattern and cannot do without ac but must do everything to conserve usage. Although I hate drapes closed, it is a must.

    Since I am an early riser, I am in the grocery very early - I can park closer to the door, and if I shop quickly enough, the car isn'[t sitting in the sun for too long.

    Sorry for this is OT - nothing to do with keeping cool without ac.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    A word of warning about those films--if you have double or triple-paned windows, don't use them. The heat builds up between the panes and causes the seals to break, then you get moisture between the panes of glass. I use the film in our attic windows and the transom over our front door because they are the original 1906 panes of glass. However, the rest of our windows are vinyl double-paned and it can ruin them.

    Our best investment was insulated drapes. We have them on most of our windows--they allowed us to turn up the thermostat to 72 degrees from 68 during the winter with no extra expenditure. During the summer, they do cooling duty.

    I am seriously missing my central air right now. It only got down to 82 muggy degrees last night. We have a 10,000BTU portable unit in the dining room which takes care of the entire downstairs, and two 5,000BTU window units upstairs which usually are enough to keep it comfortable, but they were really struggling last night.

    Thanks for the explanation about evaporative coolers, Nova. I've always wondered what they are.
    Thanks for the warning about the film on double-paned glass, Pandora. I didn't know that. It never occurred to me to put film on them because I assumed the film would merely duplicate the effect of double-paning.

    We installed double-paned glass windows in our circa 1975 addition, but couldn't bear to destroy the steel-framed, single-pane glass windows in the original part of the house. They are a noted characteristic of 1950-era Mid-century Modernism. So the film works on the windows that get direct sunlight.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by lorann View Post
    When my back concrete patio finally gets in the shade, I hose it down really well. Concrete holds the heat and reflects it back toward the house. When the sun goes down, I hose off front concrete patio. We like a lot of the country have been in a horrible heat pattern and cannot do without ac but must do everything to conserve usage. Although I hate drapes closed, it is a must.

    Since I am an early riser, I am in the grocery very early - I can park closer to the door, and if I shop quickly enough, the car isn'[t sitting in the sun for too long.

    Sorry for this is OT - nothing to do with keeping cool without ac.
    I don't think your post is any more OT than anybody else's. We're all sharing tips for keeping cool.

    There's a reason why Mediterranean cultures have a tradition of starting work early, taking a 3-hour siesta during the hottest part of the day, and then working again into the evening. It isn't laziness.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    Can't believe I grew up without a/c in the home. I think the number one way to stay cool is, "be young."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Coast, NC
    Posts
    367
    It is Hot, Hot, Hot where I am. I run my central a/c 24/7, not on 80 degrees either. I just swallow hard when I pay the electric bill each month. If nothing else is paid the electric bill is paid.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Can't believe I grew up without a/c in the home. I think the number one way to stay cool is, "be young."
    I grew up in South Florida and we lived in houses without a/c. I didn't like the heat even then, but I don't remember it being a big deal.

    Nowadays, I dread July and August.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    At the moment, it is 104 in Central Park and 108 in Newark, NJ.

    It is 101 here in the Southern California desert. (Our norm for this time of year would be 110 or higher.)

    This is one crazy summer!

    Stay safe, everybody, and remember that hydration is your friend.

  12. #12
    keeponsearching's Avatar
    keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    3,332
    I did not have an ac growing up either. Not sure why my parents never bought one, oh wait... I am in Maine, we might have one week of extreme heat, boo. But good news it this week, and I am loving the 90 degree weather! I have an ac on in the living room, but just fans at night.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybug View Post
    It is Hot, Hot, Hot where I am. I run my central a/c 24/7, not on 80 degrees either. I just swallow hard when I pay the electric bill each month. If nothing else is paid the electric bill is paid.
    I have mine on 80 I want it colder but my husband said 80 was good. But when when the temp outside is 115, 80 feels great.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    where no man has boldy gone
    Posts
    3,642
    It is impossible for me to stop using the air our attic is about 1100 sq.ft. even with insulation and attic fans it gets around 90 degrees in the day. You can feel the heat coming down from the attic by 8 a.m. by noon it's just to hot for the animals. I personally wouldn't mind sweating but I feel it's just to uncomfortable for the animals. I have ceiling fans in every room plus fans on the floor, and a couple of window units to go along with the central. Yes my carbon footprint is bad in the summer but from Sept- May I use very little heat.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

    Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    It is impossible for me to stop using the air our attic is about 1100 sq.ft. even with insulation and attic fans it gets around 90 degrees in the day. You can feel the heat coming down from the attic by 8 a.m. by noon it's just to hot for the animals. I personally wouldn't mind sweating but I feel it's just to uncomfortable for the animals. I have ceiling fans in every room plus fans on the floor, and a couple of window units to go along with the central. Yes my carbon footprint is bad in the summer but from Sept- May I use very little heat.
    We have feral dogs and cats as well as coyotes who live outside here where temps above 115 are not uncommon.

    Unless you are keeping penguins for pets, your animals should be fine as long as they have shade and (most importantly) plenty of water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. 5 Ways to Make Your Home Safer
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM
  2. Former conjoined tortoises go separate ways at home
    By alpharee in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 06:37 PM