Gould, Arkansas - Taking Away Freedoms

less0305

The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember m
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.citizens4freedom.com/Art...e-Speech-in-Private-Homes-Group-Meetings.aspx

If you are interested in reading about a Town Council taking away citizens basic rights, you have got to read this - But watch the news story video (it's better).l And then tell me this doesn't just make you sick to your stomach to think a public body can actually think they can do this. I hope they get sued and I hope they get sued BIG!!!

Oh, my my. That would be funny if they weren't so serious! Gotta love the mayor!

What? :waitasec:

Somebody is either really paranoid or really ego centered and controlling on that city council. Possibly.

Either there is some reason they thought they needed to try to do this (which it's wrong, it is a violation of constitional rights IMHO) or someone body on city counsil needs some meds or therapy.

This is almost hard to believe isn't it? Dang.

Here's the New York Times story on the matter:

Arkansas Town Draws a Line on Clubs
---
The City Council adopted an ordinance last week making it illegal to form any kind of group without its permission.

That is a clear violation of the Constitution, legal scholars agree. But it is also a sign of just how nasty politics has gotten in Gould, a farming town of 1,100 some 70 miles southeast of Little Rock, where members of the Council have struggled with a local political group that seeks to influence how the town is governed. The mayor, Earnest Nash Jr., also happens to be a member of the political group, the Gould Citizens Advisory Council.
---
much more at Times link above

how many groups do they have to worry about in a town of 1100?

it'd be funny if it weren't such a scary thought

A small Arkansas town of 850 is attempting to ban groups from meeting to talk about the city without first getting permission from the city itself.

Well it seems counterproductive. I bet none of us in this group would now be talking about the city if not for this ban.

Wow! Is this City Council trying to ensure life-time positions? Or do they have something to hide?

Hang in there, citizens of Gould. They are trying to take your rights away.

Dayum. Nash is great. And if it comes to that, I suspect he would go to jail...

Go, Nash!

Best-
Herding Cats

That makes zero sense. So if you put birthday balloons on your mailbox and call it a birthday party...can you talk about the city? Do the groups have to gather outside city limits? Geez Louise.

Sitting in his blood-soaked Razorbacks shirt, with stitches in his right temple, Nash described the attack in a live interview on FOX16. Despite the attack, the mayor does not plan to do anything different.

Holy Moly. I hope he heals quickly.

On Tuesday, the Advisory Council filed a lawsuit against council members Harry Hall and Rosieanna Smith, challenging their eligibility to serve on the city council--Hall for his criminal record in Jefferson County, and Smith because she allegedly does not live in the Ward she represents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back