GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changes at Lauren Giddings Crime Scene

Michelle Quesada

Story Created: Jul 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM EDT

Story Updated: Jul 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM EDT
It's been three weeks after the dismembered body of Lauren Giddings was found outside of her apartment at Barristers Hall on Georgia Avenue. Today the complex is quiet, keys for the apartments involved in the investigation have been returned, and there is no longer a marked police car out on the scene.

Read more here:

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/Changes-at-Lauren-Giddings-Crime-Scene-126038238.html

SmoothOperator, did I catch what you said in the previous thread correctly? The dismembered female body found in Chicago on June 22, 2011 has not been solved? So, 3 days before LG disappeared, another young woman's dismembered body was found in Chicago. It probably isn't connected, but these are not the only 2 I have ran across. I know another young woman was found in Atlanta in 2010. These cases have not been solved. And there are a few more I found.

The dates between the one in Chicago and LG do make me take notice. Strange connection there. Might explain the intense FBI interest so early on.

Like I noted, most of the dismemberments involving females that I ran across which had been solved were committed by someone extremely close to the victim. Mainly a boyfriend, husband, or lover. Not by acquaintances or people on the outskirts of their relationship circle. The unsolved ones seem to lean towards random crime or some total stranger choosing the victim. Reading all of that made me really have to think about this.

Don't get me wrong. We had a creepy neighbor kid who was obsessed with my daughter. We noticed it in middle school when he made strange comments and built a fort in the backyard to watch her (and it wasn't in HIS backyard, but a neighbor of his). It moved into high school where he told her about her being in his dreams. Then his $2000 dog showed up on our back porch. We don't live in a subdivision, but near one. No connection from his yard to ours. Moving on to contacting all of her friends and becoming obsessed with their whereabouts. These are just a few of the things he did. This kid was creepy from the beginning. And he was HIGHLY intelligent. Full academic scholarship to a different school than my daughter (thank goodness!). He still knows when she is home from school and makes contact from time to time. Him, I could see doing this type of thing. But, his loose screw was noticeable for years. We aren't hearing these kind of stories from SM's past. No one from his middle school or high school years is coming forward talking about how strange he was then, or how he did creepy things. So, why would it suddenly appear on this one night?

Yes, that's correct.. I had to quickly edit to add that I was wrong.. The dismemberment of another young woman was same date in Chigago and it was her who was found to have been stabbed and dismembered by her bf, Ward.. I just assumed it to be the case you'd posted as who would think there'd be two different young women dismembered in Chicago at the same time?.. But further digging led me to find that was indeed the case.. Trisha Sandler was murdered and dismembered by her boyfriend and at/around the same time so was this UNidentified young woman that was found dismembered in the garage of a vacant house.. That case I cannot find anything else about.. Cannot even find that the victim was identified.. Young 17-25yoa and a tattoo on her hand.. Sounds as tho that would definitely narrow the possibilities down quite a bit.. But yet I've still yet to find any more about it..

Whats the distance between Chicago and Macon?? 8-10hrs that's just a guess.. I'd like to be able to find more about it..

Couldn't see how to "quote" from the previous thread (#2),

but in reply to Knox earlier; I didn't intend to "post and run". I was at work.

I had commented earlier in thread #2 that SM did not appear to be drugged or "out of it" as had been stated by "Harry Potter" and I really am still curious what makes Harry think that SM was "drugged out of his head" ???

Has anyone figured out why the chief was out in front of the appts about an hour ago? looked like an interview maybe? Anyone know?

~Snipped~

Has anyone figured out why the chief was out in front of the appts about an hour ago? looked like an interview maybe? Anyone know?

Could it have been the Nancy Grace thing?

Couldn't see how to "quote" from the previous thread (#2),

but in reply to Knox earlier; I didn't intend to "post and run". I was at work.

I had commented earlier in thread #2 that SM did not appear to be drugged or "out of it" as had been stated by "Harry Potter" and I really am still curious what makes Harry think that SM was "drugged out of his head" ???

I can't speak for Harry Potter, but in my opinion, SM's pupils eyes appeared highly dilated- unnaturally so. From what I've seen, this can sometimes be a side effect of some mental health drugs.

Yes, that's correct.. I had to quickly edit to add that I was wrong.. The dismemberment of another young woman was same date in Chigago and it was her who was found to have been stabbed and dismembered by her bf, Ward.. I just assumed it to be the case you'd posted as who would think there'd be two different young women dismembered in Chicago at the same time?.. But further digging led me to find that was indeed the case.. Trisha Sandler was murdered and dismembered by her boyfriend and at/around the same time so was this UNidentified young woman that was found dismembered in the garage of a vacant house.. That case I cannot find anything else about.. Cannot even find that the victim was identified.. Young 17-25yoa and a tattoo on her hand.. Sounds as tho that would definitely narrow the possibilities down quite a bit.. But yet I've still yet to find any more about it..

Whats the distance between Chicago and Macon?? 8-10hrs that's just a guess.. I'd like to be able to find more about it..

I think it would be closer to 12 hours myself, but it would depend on the route. The Zaxby's where LG was last seen purchasing food is very near I-75 and I-16 both, with I-75 being the most likely route coming into Macon from the Chicago area. That entire downtown area is full of vagrants and homeless these days.

Not saying it isn't possible, just don't think its very plausable.

I can't speak for Harry Potter, but in my opinion, SM's pupils eyes appeared highly dilated- unnaturally so. From what I've seen, this can sometimes be a side effect of some mental health drugs.

I'll have to go back and watch again, I did not notice his pupils appearing dilated.

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-news/6198-stephen-mcdaniel-makes-court-appearance
Judge Tilman Self is expected to make a decision early next week. McDaniel faces up to 40 years in prison for these felony charges.

Wow. Forty years in prison is a long time to serve for entering unlocked, unoccupied apartments and taking something of very little value. But, the article below explains how the laws defining felony burglary in many states have broadened in recent years. Still, the article below mentions a maximum sentence of ten years, and that is for aggravated burglary, which shows intent to cause harm. I wonder if the severity of punishment SM is facing for burglary is what Mrs. McD wanted to address in court today. It seems odd that the mother of a law school graduate wouldn't know proper courtroom conduct, but I think she is overwhelmed by what her son faces. Her dreams for him of becoming a lawyer ... and possibly one day a supreme court judge ... was so near fruition and now, suddenly, he's on the wrong side of the law, with the possibility of spending more than half his life in prison.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-felony-burglary.htm
Felony burglary is generally defined as breaking into a building with the intention to commit some kind of crime. In contrast, misdemeanor burglary is breaking into a building without the intent to commit a crime, and it is generally applied to homeless people who break into unoccupied buildings so that they can sleep in them. There was a time when felony burglary required a specific intent to commit a felony, but newer laws have broadened the definition so that any crime can qualify. In some US states, felony burglary can also be charged for breaking into a structure that is likely to be occupied at the time, partly because that is seen as a threatening act. The specific laws and penalties regarding felony burglary vary significantly in different places.

In general, the penalties for all the different types of felony burglary are separated by degrees. Aggravated burglary is commonly a first-degree felony, and it is usually defined by either an intent to cause harm or the act of carrying deadly weapons during the burglary. Second-degree felony burglary is generally defined as breaking into a structure with the intent to commit a crime while someone is inside or likely to be there. Third-degree felony burglary is breaking into a structure when it’s unoccupied and likely to be unoccupied. Fourth-degree felony burglary is breaking into a structure that’s occupied without the intention to commit a crime.

There have been some major changes over the years regarding burglary laws in the US that greatly broaden definitions. One example would be the State v. Moore ruling in the state of Ohio, which made it so that even pushing open an unlocked door could be considered forceful enough to be burglary. There have also been adjustments to the definition of an “occupied structure” which have broadened it to the point where an actual occupant is not necessarily required in every locality. Since the variation in laws is so great in different areas, a person seeking legal advice about a burglary charge would be advised to carefully examine his local laws.

Felony burglary is generally regarded as a serious crime. Even fourth-degree burglary can result in prison sentences of up to 18 months in many locations, while aggravated burglary often brings prison sentences of up to 10 years, along with relatively large fines. Prison sentences can sometimes be significantly longer because of other crimes committed during the burglary, especially in aggravated burglary cases.

More from BB, the apartment complex owner.

She has some interesting things to say this time.

More concerns surfaced after the public learned that Stephen McDaniel had a master key. He is currently jailed for two counts of burglary from allegedly entering two unlocked apartments. Boni Bush, the owner of the complex says all current door locks are being replaced.

"I have requested information from Stephen's attorney about how he got the key. Stephen has stated that he did not have a master key all I know is that we'd ever given a master key to a student," says Bush.

The e-mail also addresses some issues about the murder, saying that Lauren's apartment was never broken into and it was widely known where she kept a spare key outside the apartment.

"I spoke to Lauren's dad yesterday and we discussed the frustration, not frustration toward the police or anything, we just all want this to be over," Bush.

Stephen McDaniel was scheduled to move out July 15th. His parents arrived at the complex Friday for the first time and will be packing up this weekend.

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/Changes-at-Lauren-Giddings-Crime-Scene-126038238.html

Dilated pupils can be for an entire multitude of different reasons.. Can be due to medications and I wouldn't doubt in the least that this individual who is housed in the infirmary ward of the jail would be prescribed meds.. Meds that make you out of it or drugged up? No..More likely meds like paxil zoloft, effexor which are very commonly used anti depressants/anti anxiety meds which are known to cause dilated pupils.. I could easily see this, but drugged up and out of it? Nope..

There are also a multitude of reasons outside of his being prescribed meds in jail.. Including some peoples are dilated larger than others on a regular basis for many health reasons, brain related and mental issues as well.. Along with also withdrawal from many different drugs and meds cause the dilation.. So, it could even be from some type of regularly used med or drug for an extended period of time prior to his being incarcerated and his now having withdrawal from that substance would cause dilated pupils as well..

Tons of causes and tons of reasons non of which IMO indicate in any way this individual is "drugged up" or "totally out of it"..

Regarding an email BB sent out to incoming tenants of Barristers Hall:

The e-mail also addresses some issues about the murder, saying that Lauren's apartment was never broken into and it was widely known where she kept a spare key outside the apartment.

"That says something about how safe my kids feel that they leave their apartments unlocked for their friends," says Bush.

Interesting comment by BB. Hiding a key outside an apartment for emergency use is not the same as leaving the door unlocked. I wonder if this rationale will be used in McD's defense during his burglary trial - the idea that Barristers Hall has an "open door" policy? He denies that he had a master key:

"I have requested information from Stephen's attorney about how he got the key. Stephen has stated that he did not have a master key all I know is that we'd ever given a master key to a student," says Bush.

Stop and Read

This rule applies to online photo albums.

Do not link to Facebook, Myspace and other social networking sites associated with individuals, such as relatives and friends of victims and suspects. Generally, it is okay to link to a victim's page or a suspect's page.

Do not copy-and-paste posts or comments from these pages, or post screen shots of them.

If you have not reviewed the information at this link, do it now.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Rules Etiquette & Information

Dilated pupils can be for an entire multitude of different reasons.. Can be due to medications and I wouldn't doubt in the least that this individual who is housed in the infirmary ward of the jail would be prescribed meds.. Meds that make you out of it or drugged up? No..More likely meds like paxil zoloft, effexor which are very commonly used anti depressants/anti anxiety meds which are known to cause dilated pupils.. I could easily see this, but drugged up and out of it? Nope..

There are also a multitude of reasons outside of his being prescribed meds in jail.. Including some peoples are dilated larger than others on a regular basis for many health reasons, brain related and mental issues as well.. Along with also withdrawal from many different drugs and meds cause the dilation.. So, it could even be from some type of regularly used med or drug for an extended period of time prior to his being incarcerated and his now having withdrawal from that substance would cause dilated pupils as well..

Tons of causes and tons of reasons non of which IMO indicate in any way this individual is "drugged up" or "totally out of it"..

I definitely don't think it's out of the question to appear "out of it" if you're on antidepressants, especially if you've recently been placed on them and your dosage isn't quite right yet.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/side-effects-of-antidepressant-medications/

"SSRIs—paroxetine (Paxil); fluoxetine (Prozac); sertraline (Zoloft); fluvoxamine (Luvox); citalopram (Celexa)—are among the most widely prescribed medications in the world. It is useful to divide side effects into acute versus chronic.

The acute side effects occur early in treatment and for the most part tend to disappear over time. Acute side effects of SSRIs include stomach upset, nausea, fatigue, headache, fatigue, tremor, nervousness and dry mouth. Some of the more persistent, or chronic, side effects are daytime fatigue, insomnia, sexual problems (especially problems experiencing an orgasm) and weight gain"

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-news/6198-stephen-mcdaniel-makes-court-appearance

Wow. Forty years in prison is a long time to serve for entering unlocked, unoccupied apartments and taking something of very little value. But, the article below explains how the laws defining felony burglary in many states have broadened in recent years. Still, the article below mentions a maximum sentence of ten years, and that is for aggravated burglary, which shows intent to cause harm. I wonder if the severity of punishment SM is facing for burglary is what Mrs. McD wanted to address in court today. It seems odd that the mother of a law school graduate wouldn't know proper courtroom conduct, but I think she is overwhelmed by what her son faces. Her dreams for him of becoming a lawyer ... and possibly one day a supreme court judge ... was so near fruition and now, suddenly, he's on the wrong side of the law, with the possibility of spending more than half his life in prison.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-felony-burglary.htm

The law in Georgia.

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 7 - DAMAGE TO AND INTRUSION UPON PROPERTY
ARTICLE 1 - BURGLARY§ 16-7-1 - BurglaryO.C.G.A. 16-7-1 (2010)
16-7-1. Burglary

(a) A person commits the offense of burglary when, without authority and with the intent to commit a felony or theft therein, he enters or remains within the dwelling house of another or any building, vehicle, railroad car, watercraft, or other such structure designed for use as the dwelling of another or enters or remains within any other building, railroad car, aircraft, or any room or any part thereof. A person convicted of the offense of burglary, for the first such offense, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years...

(b) Upon a second conviction for a crime of burglary occurring after the first conviction, a person shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two nor more than 20 years. Upon a third conviction for the crime of burglary occurring after the first conviction, a person shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years. Adjudication of guilt or imposition of sentence shall not be suspended, probated, deferred, or withheld for any offense punishable under this subsection.
http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-7/article-1/16-7-1/

Hello all. It has been a few years since I read or posted on this site, but I have been "catching up" with this thread for several days, going back to read all the way through. Please be patient with me as I relearn how to work all the tools, etc., here, as I'm sure I will make some goofs.

I am riveted by this case, for several reasons, but largely I'm sure because of its location here in the central Georgia area where I live. I grew up and have lived most of my life in a mostly-rural county neighboring Bibb County, where Macon is located. Going to Macon has been and still is for me "going to town" to do shopping or whatever. I have worked there and my daughter is a college (not Mercer) student there now.

I've been having insights and thoughts to share as I read through, but wanted to read all the way through before I jumped in. So no time like the present...

I have to say I don't know what to think about SM. It isn't looking good for him, IMO, though I can truthfully say I would like for things to turn out that he did not do this and be totally exonerated. Like some others indicated a few pages upstream, I feel a real sympathy and empathy toward him and his family. But I also have to admit that I had a weird reaction to him from the very first, when the interview with him first aired on local TV -- sort of an undercurrent thing, but definitely there. Seems a lot of folks did, though that in itself need not mean anything.

I also agree with what a few others have said (paraphrasing), that, unlike with some other POIs sometimes, I have a gut reaction that if he did this, he is very disturbed, probably in a way beyond his control. I don't see sociopath here (though of course I could be wrong) and that makes me feel this could be one of those "if only someone had intervened in this guy's life earlier" situations that are so incredibly sad to me, for everyone, from the victim and her family and friends to the perp and his.

Now to jump right into some thoughts...
(But ---OK, folks, can someone give me a dummies tutorial on how to quote a post...? I've tried everything I can find on the site, but can't seem to do it!! Sure I'm just missing something perfectly clear... The post I'm wanting to quote is back in thread #2, #603, where angelaanalyzes said -- and obviously this is not the correct way to do this, just need to get this post on out there so someone can help me --)

Regarding the condoms issue:
I was told by a source via email whose other tips have later been verified by the media that McDaniel at some point said he was a virgin which prompted the discussion about the condoms in his apartment, at which point he said he stole them and went into great detail about where his neighbors kept their condoms.
I see a scenario that could explain some of this very confusing (with only what we know now) stolen condoms issue.

Suppose (and again, I really don't WANT to) that SM is the perp. We know, from much discussion on here, that as sad and horrible as it is to think, LG may have been sexually attacked either before or after death or both. Suppose SM left used condoms or, even more likely, opened condom packages, in his apartment (a major slip-up, maybe, but so, one would think, if not done for display, is running out of time and trying to dispose of the torso in the trash by the apt.-- not thinking clearly, disorganized).

In LE questioning along whatever lines, perhaps SM volunteers that he is a virgin (and maybe that's true, in the normal sense). Then LE finds either used condoms or open packages and wants to know, "Well, what's with this, then?" SM maybe pleads masturbation of some sort. Maybe LE wants to know where and when he purchased the condoms...maybe letting on that condoms and/or packaging are traceable in some way, by lot number or whatever (and maybe they are?)

A run out to buy condoms at a critical point in the crime timeline may have occurred ... and wouldn't look good, and SM knows it, so he invents the story of taking them at some time in the past from neighboring apartments. To make it all sound real, he embroiders a lot of detail about where the neighbors kept the items, etc. -- as we have seen him go into detail about some other matters. That could be why LE apparently was trying to trace those now-moved-away neighbors, to see if the embroidery was true! I'm not saying that SM, with a master key, didn't browse around some apts. over time -- in fact, if he is the perp, that activity might have been much to the forefront of his thoughts, and just weaved itself right on into the story he was presenting.

Any of this sound plausible to y'all?

BB is really close to overstepping a boundary line IMO.. While I understand her frustration with having this ongoing heinous murder investigation take place on her property.. Which of course is going to bring unwanted negative views about her complex simply because it is the scene of the crime for this brutal murder as was it one of her tenants as well that is the victim.. While I understand her frustration she does need to get over her own selfish motives here and understand this is not gonna just go away over night.. My biggest complaint is what I feel she's done with Lauren's fathers words and conversation to her.. IMO I believe she has most likely twisted his words to make them appear to be in the same frustrated and fed up attitude and mode that she is in.. I believe most likely that is not in any way what Mr. Giddings said nor did he even imply what she's attempting to make it sound as tho the two of them are on the exact same page.. I think this kind and grieving father probably has lent his ear several times to this frustrated woman's rantings of impatience and probably has been kind to her saying he can sympathize with the angle that she is coming from this at.. She then twisted that into he too is fed up and frustrated and then adding at the end of the statement but not frustrated with LE.. When IMO that's EXACTLy who she's frustrated with for having taken over 3 full apts and had police surveillance 24/7 on that complex.. To her all she could see were dollar signs flying out the window that she was losing for every day longer that LE kept dragging this out and not letting her get things back into money making order..

I don't like it at all that she most likely is manipulating this broken Father's kindness and words into something for her benefit by her hoping by adding his frustration that could possibly spark some quicker and faster results to her benefit..*

Her statements I find to be filled with money as the motive.. Not safety or peoples welfare but rather just of getting more money thru the door of Bannisters Halls.. Her stating that she's requested to McD's atty to find out how that McD was able to acquire the skeleton key.. To which he stated that McD never has had a master key in his possession.. She ends by stating, "All I know is that we'd ever given a master key to a student," says Bush.

^above^ BBM.. Which I assume the bolded word e-v-e-r was supposed to have been n-e-v-e-r..

Shocking that over 3 weeks has passed and they still have yet to have all of the locks of all of the apts in the complex changed!!!!

And lastly BB goes as far as to go on record as stating that Lauren's apt was never at anytime in any way broken into following that up with stating that it was a very well known fact that Lauren kept a key to enter her apt outside there.. And I must admit it is the one thing I without a doubt agree with BB on.. That if at anytime whatsoever Lauren was even so much as under the impression of it being a possibility that someone/anyone were in any way attempting to break in or enter her home without her knowledge or consent.. That if that were to ever have even crossed her mind that she wouldve immediately taken the well known hidden extra key to her apt and kept it from being outside.. This IMO she would have done without a doubt the very first thought that someone was attempting or going to attempt to break in her apt.. She wouldve retrieved the key from outside and no longer had it available for friends and/or emergency uses as way into her apt.. Even if she didn't take it seriously enough to involve police she at the very very very least wouldve retrieved the hidden key..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74