Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    I have a feeling the news show they are doing indicates the police really are stumped. If they had a path they were on, they wouldn't wait for tonight's show. They would have made a major announcement immediately. This story has not been running crazy with national news since it began. It hasn't even raised a blip in the national radar until 3 weeks later. Chief Burns mentioned Dateline had contacted him once, but they didn't even follow up. Nancy Grace is brushing it away, but that is probably because of the Mercer connection. No one seems to really care.

What would Chief Burns be trying to do by going national? He isn't calming the storm of national reporters banging down his door. I think he is seeking help from the only national news show that is willing to talk to him. He is hoping that small coverage will garner more interest. The only reason I can see to do that is because you really need help. Not just for body parts, because that can hopefully be gleaned from interviewing the perp. And national help isn't going to find them, only local help will find body parts in the area. I think they are trying to find out who did this. They are hoping by going national, someone, somewhere will come out with something that can help pin down who. All of which leans away from SM being the perp.

I prefer SM be the perp. It closes this all up in a neat little box. Sadly, if they haven't come out with the great press conference saying they have the man in custody, it is sounding like they do not have the evidence to support him being the one. By going to the national news shows, it indicates they need help and they need it bad. It is not going to calm the locals by going national. And it could do some real damage to the colleges in the area, not just Mercer, but also Macon State and Wesleyan. Because who would want to ship their child off to a school where a vicious killer is running loose? If the kids aren't coming to college here because of this crime, then the businesses lose a lot of money. I can see a lot of reasons to NOT go public. The only one I can come up with for going public is because they are stumped.
    It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. ~ Arthur Conan Doyle

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PsychoMom For This Useful Post:

SM is a decoy for the real killer. Police are playing this whole thing out. Watch what I tell ya! JMO though

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OLDMACONBOY For This Useful Post:

From a Macon Telegraph article:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OLDMACONBOY For This Useful Post:

From Ttt

Sorry something is wrong with y iPad. Will finish post later

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLDMACONBOY For This Useful Post:

Macon paper

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OLDMACONBOY For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OLDMACONBOY View Post
    SM is a decoy for the real killer. Police are playing this whole thing out. Watch what I tell ya! JMO though
    This has been brewing in my head all day long, too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMom View Post
    I can see a lot of reasons to NOT go public. The only one I can come up with for going public is because they are stumped.
    (snipped for space)

That, or because they know they're about to nail their guy and want the "happy" ending to be national news... although I think you might be more on point with the former :/

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lawette32 For This Useful Post:

Backwoods...I can't get around it either...scenario: this thing is so heinous, so bad, and SM did commit burglary....they cut a deal with him to stay in jail so the real killer thinks he is off the hook and then they slip up on the real killer....or flush him out with SM being the decoy....why else would an attorney as good as Buford go along with all this and not be raising hell about it all.......why else would his hearing for bond be moved to superior court and judge Self delay it again......just doesnt add up......I'm not in LE, but I have served ten years in public safety on the fire/ems side in a small rural county....I know from experience what public sees and hears is never really the way it is or the real way it went down....especially in bad or graphic or heinous situations.....LE can, and needs to be able to do stuff like that to protect the public....it may not be "by the book".....but they do it all the time.....I'm glad they do....it helps protect us and we don't even know or appreciate it....

This is all JMO

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OLDMACONBOY For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lawette32 View Post
    (snipped for space)

That, or because they know they're about to nail their guy and want the "happy" ending to be national news... although I think you might be more on point with the former :/
    I thought about that. But since this story has not really exploded nationally, I don't think that fits. If it is SM, and they know it, by going national like this for no other reason than glory, they are showing all these parents out there that Mercer lets murderers in to kill their children. The harm outweighs the benefit. I don't see them going national if they are about to nail SM. It is pointless and damaging. Only if he isn't the one does it make sense to me.

JMO though. That and 3 bucks will almost buy you a cup of coffee.
    It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. ~ Arthur Conan Doyle

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsychoMom For This Useful Post:

Sorry something is wrong with y iPad. Will finish post later
    Hurry back, 'cause I want to see that link and hear those thoughts!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Backwoods...I can't get around it either...scenario: this thing is so heinous, so bad, and SM did commit burglary....they cut a deal with him to stay in jail so the real killer thinks he is off the hook and then they slip up on the real killer....or flush him out with SM being the decoy....why else would an attorney as good as Buford go along with all this and not be raising hell about it all.......why else would his hearing for bond be moved to superior court and judge Self delay it again......just doesnt add up...
    Also, SM talking so much might have been putting some other kind of evidence (other than against him, I mean) in jeopardy...that email, for possible example.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I've not really understood that either...I mean, the guy is going on 50? Seems like a strange relationship. And his ex-girlfriend supposedly committed suicide 10 years ago...I don't know.
    Nothing strange about it - really. They aren't the first and won't be the last couple with a big age difference. As for the police investigation of him, of course they investigated him right away as soon as her body was found. They found him to be a non-issue and any further investigation of him was absolutely a dead end - just like further speculation by the public - an absolute dead end. The police then turned their efforts and attention elsewhere. Her death has absolutely nothing to do with him, his firm or the kind of work that he does.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colonel Mustard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mustard View Post
    Her death has absolutely nothing to do with him, his firm or the kind of work that he does.
    With all respect, how can we know that they might not even now be following a lead about something like I mentioned earlier, some crazy, heartless, retaliatory strike against a powerful man?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMom View Post
    I thought about that. But since this story has not really exploded nationally, I don't think that fits. If it is SM, and they know it, by going national like this for no other reason than glory, they are showing all these parents out there that Mercer lets murderers in to kill their children. The harm outweighs the benefit. I don't see them going national if they are about to nail SM. It is pointless and damaging. Only if he isn't the one does it make sense to me.

JMO though. That and 3 bucks will almost buy you a cup of coffee.

This isn't Mercer's fault either. There's nothing they could have done to anticipate or prevent this. It took everyone by surprise. If it does turn out to be McD, I can assure you he went through a vigorous screening before he was admitted into the law school. Haven't Yale, University of Virginia, and many many other schools had similar incidents in the news? You simply can't predict or protect against every danger, known and unknown.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colonel Mustard For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast