817 users online (92 members and 725 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Araceli Marie Trevino, 7, Alvin, Oct 2004

7-year-old missing from home in Alvin
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    Oct. 22, 2004

Police and volunteer search teams late Thursday were looking for a young girl who wandered away from her home in Alvin.
    Arecely Marie Trevino 7, was last seen about 9 p.m. at a Walgreens drug store at South Gordon and West South Street in Alvin, police said.

She is about 4 feet tall and weighs 48 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes. She was wearing a white shirt and blue shorts or blue pants.

Police were first called about 6 p.m. after family members searched for the girl at a local restaurant. Officials said the girl had gone there by herself in the past.

She has a mental disability and a speech impediment, police said. They do not suspect foul play.
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/3841915/detail.html

more volunteers needed

Alvin girl missing; more volunteers needed to search

October 22, 2004
    From 11 News Staff Reports

A frantic search is under way for a mentally disabled 7-year-old girl who vanished Thursday evening in Alvin.

Crews were out all night and they are now calling for more volunteers to continue the search. The Laura Recovery Center is asking for people to report to the Alvin Fire Department at 301 W. House Street to assist in the search.

The Hispanic girl, Araceli Marie Trevino, has been missing since about 6 p.m. Thursday. She is 4 feet tall, 47 pounds with long brown hair, brown eyes. She's wearing a white t-shirt, blue shorts and no shoes. She was last seen in the 400 block of Adoue Street in front of a church, close to her home.

Searchers are hoping she laid down to sleep somewhere Thursday night and will appear sometime Friday. She is mentally disabled therefore she is unlikely to ask for help.
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/brazo....133310aa.html

Prayers for this little girl!!!!!!

Poor little girl... I hope she is found SAFE - soon..

Hundreds search for missing Alvin girl

07:43 PM CDT on Friday, October 22, 2004
    KHOU-TV Staff Reports

A frantic search was underway Friday evening for a mentally disabled 7-year-old girl who vanished Thursday evening in Alvin.

Relatives say Araceli Marie Trevino has the mental capacity of a 3-year-old and is unable to ask for help.

She disappeared around 6 p.m. Thursday from the 400 block of Adoue Street where she had been playing with her cousin.

Her grandmother is sick with worry.

"I don't know, I don't know what happened to her," said a crying Caroline Garcia. "I'm pretty sure somebody take her..."

Crews were out all night and hundreeds of volunteers later joined in the search as word spread and the Laura Recovery Center became involved.

"We need to look everywhere...," one search organizer told a team of volunteers.

Helicopters, teams on horseback, four-wheelers, even a school bus driver driving through neighborhoods were looking for the girl.

They expanded the search to rural farm land Friday afternoon.

"Is she scared?... Is she hot? Is she hungry? Is she thirsty," wondered one of the searchers as she combed a wooded area.

The only confirmed sighting was at a Walgreens not far from the child's home. A clerk there said she saw a girl fitting Araceli's description playing in the toy aisle around 7 p.m. Thursday night. The Walgreens is located at South Gordon and West South Street in Alvin.

Canine units confirmed the sighting Friday by tracker Araceli's scent there. But since then - nothing.

"It's frustrating because what we wanted is we wanted to find the scent after she left Walgreens," said Alvin Police Chief Mike Merkel.

The FBI and Brazoria County Sheriff's Deptarment have joined the investigation.

Araceli is 4 feet tall, 47 pounds with long brown hair and brown eyes. She's wearing a white t-shirt, blue shorts and no shoes.

Searchers are hoping she laid down to sleep somewhere Thursday night and will appear sometime Friday.

Relatives say Araceli disappeared for about an hour last year but turned up at a local restaurant.

Anyone who has any information about the case is asked to call the Laura Recovery Center at 281-482-5723 or Alvin Police at 281-388-4370.
    http://www.kvue.com/news/state/stori....157de79a.html

Araceli has been recovered.

thoughts and prayers to the family.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/...te/9999561.htm

Reality check: why would a 7 yr. old girl with the mental capacity of a 3 yr. old go to a store alone?

I do have sympathy for the parents, and I pray the young girl was not molested, but there is no substitute for parental supervision.

OMG.........I don't get it. Who was she with? How did this happen? This little was so cute and so helpless.

xxxxxxxxxoooooooo
    mama

EDITED to ADD. Here's the latest story......

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...pstory/2863602

Tragedy ends search for Alvin girl
    Special-needs 7-year-old drowns in swimming pool
    By RICHARD STEWART and ROBERT CROWE
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

ALVIN - Neighbors of Araceli Treviño found the 7-year-old's body floating in their murky swimming pool Saturday, three days after the girl was reported missing...........more on the link.

Oh, how sad!!!! How did they not see her there for 3 days?? Or maybe she was trying to find her way back home in the last day or so and fell in. How terrible. Prayers for her family.

Oh this is so sad. Poor little girl...................It said in an article that I found that the pool was unused and dirty, which is why they couldnt see her.

I KNOW this was a tragic accident, but YOU HAVE TO WATCH YOUR KIDS- especially around pools and stuff. I am so paranoid about my little brother near water...................

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh
    Oh, how sad!!!! How did they not see her there for 3 days?? Or maybe she was trying to find her way back home in the last day or so and fell in. How terrible. Prayers for her family.
    I believe that it is very likely that she fell into the pool while trying to get home in the dark. That was my first thought.
    I recall one time, several years ago when one of my dogs got into the next door neighbor's back yard, and could not find his way back under our fence. I went around to the other side of the neighbor's yard (he was not home at the time) and opening the gate, called the dog. That dog KNEW that there was a pool there, but in his haste, he made a beeline for me and fell right in the middle of it.