6-year-old found dead in backyard microwave

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Missing girl found dead in backyard microwave (San Antonio Express-News)
A 6-year-old girl who went missing for several hours Saturday evening was found dead later that night inside a large, old-fashioned microwave in the backyard of a home on the East Side.

San Antonio police believe she climbed inside the microwave and somehow became trapped. They said they are investigating the case as an accidental sudden death.
---
“The whole neighborhood was helping search,” Lt. Randy Smith said. “It’s a tight community.”
---
“I heard somebody yell, ‘I found her,’ and then I heard crying,” [Stephanie Almendarez] said. “I am shocked. I thought she was OK. I’ve never seen anything like this.”
(more at link above)

It boggles the mind! Poor child, man... :cry:

Mind-boggling is right. I had to blink twice (maybe three times) when I saw that headline, while perusing the Express-News online. Poor parents, poor siblings, and poor neighborhood too. And I can't imagine that large of microwave oven, though I did find this pic of an ancient one. (It's from 1947.) A microwave oven in the backyard - was it operable, or just junk setting around? Mind-boggling.

Terribly tragic. :( I hope this story will cause people to double-check to make sure they don't have something large enough to trap a child just laying around.

I did a Google aerial view of that street & neighborhood and nobody's back yard looked like a scrap pile. The ones I could see looked very clean; trees blocked the view on some though.

Oh dear. Just a reminder to everyone, take any doors off things you are not taking to the dump right away, and any feet of furniture, btw.

There are microwaves large enough out there for a child to think it is a cool cubby hole for hide and seek or a fort/club.

Shivers, reminds me of the drug films they showed us in the late '70's early '80's. Shiver. Horrible, horrible things. Those films should be shown to all preteens and teens. I will not tell you what we were shown, but most of you will know.

FAMILY%20REACTION-PIC_RfVhD.jpg

Rest in peace, Becky Herrera :blowkiss:

tragic. When looking around our neighborhoods, it is important to remember to look at it from child's perspective and viewpoint. get down on your knees to get to their eye level. Think like a child. What to an adult may look like an obvious hazard or a dark dirty smelly place, to a child would look like a perfect hiding spot, a secret hideout, etc.

Rest in peace child. My Prayers for her loved ones. What an awful awful thing to have to accept.

Some new info added to the Express-News story:
---
Around 10 p.m., Rebecca's brother and a police officer found her, officials said. The brother, whose age was not immediately released, had no cause to check the microwave, which was sitting on top of some heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment along the side of the house, police said, but opened it randomly, police said.

“All of a sudden, we heard people screaming that the baby was in the microwave,” said a next-door neighbor who wished only to give her last name, Garcia. “We just couldn't imagine — how does the baby get into a microwave?”

Police said the girl was small and liked to hide. She might have crawled in and closed the door accidentally, police said, or closed it not knowing it may not reopen from inside. An autopsy report is pending.
---
much more at link below:

Missing girl found dead in backyard microwave

Poor baby!!! :(
I can not imagine what all she went through and what all went through her head.

The thought of it makes me shiver.

Poor baby.

Poor baby!!! :(
I can not imagine what all she went through and what all went through her head.

The thought of it makes me shiver.

Poor baby.

It's possible she simply went to sleep while waiting for someone to find her and let her out. She may not have realized the danger she was in. I hope she didn't.

It's possible she simply went to sleep while waiting for someone to find her and let her out. She may not have realized the danger she was in. I hope she didn't.

I really hope you are right.

I'm having a bit of trouble buying this story. Neither one of my kids could have fit into a microwave oven at the age of 6.

Am I the only one???

I'm having a bit of trouble buying this story. Neither one of my kids could have fit into a microwave oven at the age of 6.

Am I the only one???

The really big huge ones from the 80's - I think my 7 year old could fit. He's very small. He was the shortest in his class last year, and is not even 4 feet tall yet (and he's been in a growth spurt recently! A couple of months ago he was even smaller!). There's preschoolers taller than he is...

I think he could fit, no problem. Might be an uncomfortable position with head at an angle... but he could fit. And apparently, others can too, as this has happened before... What a terrible way to go.

What I wonder more about is how they close the door from the inside... There's not really a latch to grab onto. All the microwaves I've ever seen require pressure to close the door that last inch.

Usually a microwave is about 1 - 1.2 cubic feet, this was 4 cubic feet. Combine that with the fact that this girl was very small for her age due to health issues.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back