UNSOLVED CA - Bakersfield, Human Remains in doctor's home, Jul'11

Ms Suzanne

Reaction score

Monday, Jul 25 2011 11:05 AM

Has any one heard more on this?

Human remains found in east Bakersfield home

At 5:45 p.m. Sunday, deputies responded to the 4200 block of Country Club Drive for a report of human remains in a trash dumpster.
When deputies arrived, they spoke to the daughters of the homeowners. The daughters said that both of their parents were in medical facilities in the Los Angeles area and they were there to clean up their parents' residence.
While cleaning out the residence, they came across human remains

More at link

http://www.bakersfield.com/blogs/br.../Human-remains-found-in-east-Bakersfield-home

From the article

"There was still some hair, still flesh on it, bone sticking out, hair around the ears and nasal area," said Joseph.

Joseph says the head looked partially mummified and had the skeletonized spine attached.

Please remind me to NEVER marry a Ophthalmologist(What ever that is).Because if he ever brings back something like this.Him and the head would not be staying.This would literally scare the crap out of me.

From the article

"There was still some hair, still flesh on it, bone sticking out, hair around the ears and nasal area," said Joseph.

Joseph says the head looked partially mummified and had the skeletonized spine attached.

Please remind me to NEVER marry a Ophthalmologist(What ever that is).Because if he ever brings back something like this.Him and the head would not be staying.This would literally scare the crap out of me.

eye doc

weird

The newspaper has the neighbor quoted as saying they are not thinking foul play, not LE.

One of the above MSM links states the remains are dated or old.
I'm thinking murder, squatters the elderly home owners were not aware of or some medical use - which is very odd.

I suppose this is a good time to bring this up.... (I didn't post before because I didn't know where to post it). A week or so ago I was watching "Storage Wars" and one of the finds in the storage unit was human skeletal remains. The guy who won the auction actually took the skeletal remains to an 'expert' who laid them out on table and started telling the guy how much this bone was worth, that bone was worth and that if it was a complete skeleton it would be worth more. She was actually putting a dollar value on each bone. (No mention at all about the age, just the dollar value).

It kind of blew my mind, because I'd think most people who would find skeletal remains in an abandoned storage unit would call the police. Instead, here on TV the entire skeleton was laid out on at table for it's monetary value and no mention of calling the authorities at all, it was like they didn't even blink an eye. It gave me reason to even wonder (for the first time) about a market for actual human skeletal remains outside of being displayed in a museum and for a 'private' collection.

Maybe this doctor was one of those private collectors?

Creepy.

The newspaper has the neighbor quoted as saying they are not thinking foul play, not LE.

I'm thinking murder, squatters the elderly home owners were not aware of or some medical use - which is very odd.

I suppose this is a good time to bring this up.... (I didn't post before because I didn't know where to post it). A week or so ago I was watching "Storage Wars" and one of the finds in the storage unit was human skeletal remains. The guy who won the auction actually took the skeletal remains to an 'expert' who laid them out on table and started telling the guy how much this bone was worth, that bone was worth and that if it was a complete skeleton it would be worth more. She was actually putting a dollar value on each bone. (No mention at all about the age, just the dollar value).

It kind of blew my mind, because I'd think most people who would find skeletal remains in an abandoned storage unit would call the police. Instead, here on TV the entire skeleton was laid out on at table for it's monetary value and no mention of calling the authorities at all, it was like they didn't even blink an eye. It gave me reason to even wonder (for the first time) about a market for actual human skeletal remains outside of being displayed in a museum and for a 'private' collection.

Creepy.

My dad used to go to auctions of storage units (more than 30 years ago) I am so glad it never entered any of our minds there could be bones in there!!!

My dad used to go to auctions of storage units (more than 30 years ago) I am so glad it never entered any of our minds there could be bones in there!!!

It really left me stunned. I couldn't believe what I was watching. For a moment I wondered if the bones were plastic and thought, nah - the expert would have said if they were plastic.

It really left me wondering about the legality of private collectors having human skeletal remains and if perhaps the auction winner had already determined somehow these remains were not part of a crime or foul play and it wasn't included in the show.

I really could not believe what I was watching.

Hopefully there will be some answers regarding these remains found in this garage. Maybe some records exist showing the doctor had access to these remains based on his schooling/studies.

Creepy.

I remember that episode.... And if I recall correctly there were indications that the bones were part of a skeleton set that a doctor would have had on display in his office or a university would have used in classes.... It just so happened that this particular set was real bones, which is not common now. It was odd that the individual bones could be sold though... WTH you gonna do with a random ulna, you know?

I remember that episode.... And if I recall correctly there were indications that the bones were part of a skeleton set that a doctor would have had on display in his office or a university would have used in classes.... It just so happened that this particular set was real bones, which is not common now. It was odd that the individual bones could be sold though... WTH you gonna do with a random ulna, you know?

Thank you!! I usually have the TV on in the background with bits and pieces catching my attention without watching the full episode. Which happened with this particular episode. I missed the bones being part of a set a doctor would have displayed in a university setting.

I wonder if this resident in East Bakersfield had at one time taught classes and the remains found in the garage were once used for teaching purposes. ETA: If he is old enough to be in a nursing home he is probably old enough to have taught or attended classes when real bones were still used in a University setting.

Other than a haunted house I have no idea what one might do with a random ulna.
ETA: and I would have never known real bones were once used in a university setting.

From the article

JMO but I don't think that universities would use partially mummified remains with bits of flesh and hair sticking on it for teaching purposes unless it's for a forensic pathology course, and even then they wouldn't store it in a pensioner's garage. Clean bones, to give the students a good view of bone structure, or soft tissue preserved in formaline maybe to give them an idea what the soft bits should look like in a cross section, but partially decomposed mummified flesh is not going to look like any useful parts of their living patients.

If it used to be preserved in a jar and the jar broke or something they should be able to tell fairly easily based on the chemical analysis I think.

Mind you, that would be a great way of getting rid of a murder victim. Just preserve them in a jar and say they're an old medical teaching specimen and people will say aha, we completely understand, and go on searching.

I wonder who the head in the garage belonged to?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back