Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #4

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    If McD was excluded from many of his fellow law students' social activities and then Lauren was thoughtful enough of his feelings to invite him to the pre-graduation celebration, I can see where he might have misinterpreted Lauren's friendliness. I wonder if even McD realized she was in a serious relationship, considering her BF lives in Atlanta? McD probably didn't see the BF around very often and LG wouldn't have appeared to be in a relationship with anyone at Mercer (she wasn't) so, heartened by LG's cordiality toward him and feeling pressured by the knowledge they would soon be parting ways, maybe he began to pursue her aggressively. Too aggressively. Anyway, I can see a possible motive IF the killer is McD, whether or not her death was accidental or intentional -- even premeditated.

If the killer did have a romantic obsession with LG, I wonder if he kept her torso because he was abusing it (sexually)? I'm not sure that would constitute necrophilia, as Angelanalyzes speculated as a possible motive, since it wasn't death or corpses he was obsessed with (IMO), but with LG herself. If he had made his romantic intentions known to her and she resisted, he may have seen her death as his only hope of having a relationship with her.
    Not all people who engage in necrophilia are the types to be obsessed with corpses or break into funeral homes for access. It is more an extension of the initial crime that they keep the body and abuse it afterwards, either due to the sense of ultimate power it gives them and/or the sense that they are still "with" the object of their fixation. Ted Bundy would often return to the dumping sites to have sex with the corpses of his victims, but he was also a sexual sadist who very much enjoyed the suffering of live victims.
    I agree that if McDaniel is the perp, it's very possible he saw her death [accidental or intentional] as the only way he could "have her" and that would explain his need to keep the body. He had little to no assurance that people wouldn't start poking around even sooner than they did, and it would be much safer for him to have dumped the body elsewhere, right away, yet he held onto it, not to mention he dismembered the remains, which I feel could only be explained as a means of avoiding detection if he had dumped the remains in a clandestine grave. Dismembering the remains and keeping them negates the whole purpose of avoiding detection, so he either had a different, more disturbing reason for treating the body that way or had an overly complex plan that was interrupted before he could fully execute it. JMO.
    Last edited by angelanalyzes; 07-30-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    "Deep in each man is the knowledge that something knows of his existence. Something knows, and cannot be fled or hid from." - Cormac McCarthy

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angelanalyzes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
    (Bold sections by Sandstorm)

Thinman, you did a really good job describing how Lauren's friends would react to this tragedy. My family member was a good friend of Lauren; in fact, they were hanging out together at a downtown club on Friday night, June 24. They were running buddies as well. <snipped>

Let me tell you, my FM was in complete shock, disbelief, shaken, deeply hurt, and distressed. My FM could hardly make it through work. Actually, no work was done, rather those at work who also knew Lauren all met and talked among themselves. Then, as the details unfolded and the dismemberment was disclosed, my FM went into complete shutdown and did not want to discuss it with me at all.

My FM who had planned to go out of town to a concert for the July 4th weekend, canceled. FM informed me "I can't go out to a concert, partying and celebrating." FM informed me that staying home and staying busy with hobbies was a better choice at this time. <snipped>

And when I asked how are you doing, the reply was "I am trying to stay busy and not focus on it." There is no way my FM would have talked to a reporter. Absolutely no way. [/U]
    Thanks for that personal example of your FM, Sandstorm.

And, don't forget, all LG's law school classmates had the bar exam looming in a couple of weeks. "Staying busy" was easy for them (although I'll bet keeping their concentration was not).

Some are comparing the video interview with JK with SMD's extended video soliloquy. I see them as different as night and day:

JK looked away, true, but he was thinking in response to questions that were not factual in nature. When he had thought, he then turned his eyes toward the reporter (not the camera). My own experience is that it is very unnatural to look into the camera unless the person asking the question is right behind the lens.

IMO, JK's demeanor is very normal for a friend of LG's, given that the video is sometime Friday or Saturday and he's had time to absorb the shock of the news.

I'm wondering whether JK was ambushed by the reporter as he came (perhaps) to lay flowers at the iron fence or otherwise leave a momento~?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThinMan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McMunn View Post
    Something that I have been thinking about, and this may have already been discussed in a previous thread, but whatever happened to her Mercer ID? <snipped> After reading the following article, it made me wonder if the killer kept it as a memento.

http://www.johndouglasmindhunter.com...les/030213.php
    Very interesting article, McMunn. I have been discounting the importance of the missing Mercer ID, largely because a law student posted that it is very expensive and inconvenient for a student to replace a lost ID and because the ID's usefulness is only to access the law building after hours, which graduates did not need to do in studying for the bar exam (also previously posted).

The odds of the perpetrator (SMD?) keeping the ID as a momento were significantly upped in my estimation because it fits with one other very strange fact that we know -- SMD kept 2 condoms for over two years (perhaps as a momento of his having snuck into his fellow students' apartments)? That motive would fit with the condoms being displayed in such as way as to result in the detective's interest and inquiry into why he had them.

If it's just condoms in a drawer, the reason why the owner has them is obvious. But if they form some sort of trophy display, then the investigator would ask and SMD (apparently) replied with, again, too much information.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThinMan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
    Re: the new found video in which it shoes McD goes and sits on a curb while seemingly upset.. McMunn's statement about it seems to be a different angle or even cameraman and how strange/odd it would be for McD to have more than one similar reactions to being told of the body being found.. This really had me thinking and I went back to the Michelle Quesada Interview that we have the full audio and transcript of(thanks again to Destini).. And in going back and listening and reading I am now wondering if infact this may be completely different cameraman and be indeed just as McMunn mentioned a separate and different reaction to his being told by the media about the body..

I'll explain why I think this is "POSSIBLE" that it's a different/separate interview than what we saw with Michelle Quesada.. First reason being is because IIRC *when McD learns about the body being found on cam with Michelle interviewing I don't recall seeing him sit on the curb upset but rather there is some discussion between he and the reporter her asking if he's ok and Michelle says that he then enters into the AT&T building for what she assumed was to cool Down in the A/C, possibly get a drink of water, and to calm down or gather his thoughts from learning of the body discovered.. Then as we know as he exits the AT&T building Michelle approaches him OFF CAM just to check if he's ok and that he again is very chatty about his neighbor so she once again starts rolling ON CAM.. to which as we know continues on for several more minutes of McD's chatty conversing about Lauren.. The interview then ends with Michelle saying they moved on and went to speak with apt mgr BB.. So to my knowledge there wasn't this curb scene in that fullout interview.. Secondly it's what Michelle then tells Kenny(on the live audio we have linked along with Destini's having transcribed these words as well so anyone can go back and hear or read these things that I am stating was said by Michelle).. Kenny asked Michelle what was McD doing after she finished interviewing him and moved on to the apt mgr.. She states that when they left the scene(Barristers Halls apts) that McD was still on the scene giving interview with who she believed was "The Telegraph" news media.. Her making that statement made me think that it is possible that the footage was possibly McD speaking with these other news media that Michelle Quesada said she witnessed as she was leaving that McD was doing interviews with..

I am not claiming that for absolute certain they are two separate reactions of McD being told of the body being discovered, but rather only saying that given all the info stated ^above^ leads me to believe it could be possible... just an opinion and a possibility nothing more..

+++++++ NOW ONTO SOMETHING COMPLETELY SEPARATE ++++++

Another thing that I have been thinking about regarding the reaction that occurred while on cam with Michelle Quesada when he first learns there has been a body discovered on the property.. I know back when we didn't know where the torso was found or whether it was in a trash bin or just laid out and easily seen possibly even as Many of us thought that it could have been even displayed intentionally to be seen and found.. So now in retrospect my knowing that the torso was actually in a trash bin.. IMO not intending AT ALL TO HAVE BEEN FOUND BUT RATHER THE INTENTION WAS FOR IT TO HAVE BEEN HAULED OFF WITH THE TRASH PICK UP THAT WAS KNOWN TO BE SCHEDULED FOR THAT DAY.. so, as I said in retrospect with that knowledge and now looking back at McD's reaction to the news that the torso had been found I can definitely see that if indeed he turns out to be the perpetrator of this heinous murder.. WELL.. THAT REACTION YOU BETTER BELIEVE WAS A PUNCH TO THE GUT!! LEFT FOR A WHILE SPEECHLESS HAVING TO GO SIT DOWN AND GATHER HIS THOUGHTS IN THE AT&T BUILDING!!!

That visceral reaction that is seen and heard would make sense given the intention was that the torso would have been long gone and hauled away with the apt complex trash that was to be picked up!!! No torso, no body, No Lauren, No murder!!!! And Lauren just is another name on another Missing Persons flyer for God knows how Many years!!!
    That discovery of that torso was at minimum at 2 punch to the gut that left him breathless and rendered him speechless for moments to come.. It was the realization of this happy go lucky plan that thus far was playing out smoothly just got yanked out from under his feet before he even knew what hit him..

IMO looking back on this reaction with what most of us believe to be that the absolute intention was for that torso to have been hauled off to the dump and not discovered right there 50 feet from his and Laurens front doors.. It makes the reaction just that much more understandable IMO..

Jmo, tho in now looking back in retrospect with a different view from knowledge that has been Learned since that time..
    Exactly. If he had hoped the garbage would be taking her body that day in time, which is the only reasonable explanation for putting it in the trash next to his house since he knew the schedule, finding out that the police managed to intercept the trash pick up and find the body would certainly be cause to "need a moment" and seem taken aback. He didn't ask many questions when he was informed, either, which I found odd.
    "Deep in each man is the knowledge that something knows of his existence. Something knows, and cannot be fled or hid from." - Cormac McCarthy

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to angelanalyzes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    Having never laid eyes on McD before the first time I watched the interview earlier this month, I have no frame of reference to gauge whether his reactions are normal for him. Seeing it again, however, my initial reaction holds. His speech and mannerisms appear affected and disingenuous.

The other point I find troubling, as I've mentioned before, is the fact that a law school graduate -- one who worked in the district attorney's office no less -- upon learning that LG's body had been discovered would know that as a potential witness, it was highly inappropriate to continue talking with the reporters. Yet, even after a twenty minute break which allowed him time to collect his thoughts and compose himself, he returned to offer details of the friends' search, including their names, the condition of the apartment, and the contents of the e-mail. Not to mention, for an individual jolted by a shocking revelation, his recall is pretty amazing.
    EXTREMELY good point. I would bet that police were even frustrated at the amount of info he revealed in the interview, and as a law grad he of course would know the impact those revelations could have on a homicide investigation. Seriously. It seemed motivated by self-interest of some sort.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angelanalyzes For This Useful Post:

Was SMcD known to wear knives on his person while at school?

Is wearing big knives in GA something that is "normal"? Like, a hunting thing?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernKate View Post
    Yes, he was in for questioning when the discovery of the body was made. I guess the media got him before he could realize/determine what was then going on and that Lauren's body had been found.

The trash is taken out every Thursday. I think they were going through trash in the cans later due to a report of a foul order. A poster here who visited the scene actually reported something (discussed early on...maybe the second thread) and it may have been her report that prompted that.
    I would hate to think my report is what caused that, because I still think it was nothing but a dead animal it's just I could not get to the source under the rest of the garbage. They came back in force the day after my report IIRC, but I'd assume they'd have sent at least 1 officer to check out a report of the smell of decomp in the trash bins right next to LG's apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post

I know that we cannot post any family pics of McD on here, but in one picture that I have seen of him, he was wearing a holster and was sliding about an 8-12" knife into it that looked like this: http://www.shopmania.com/hunting/p-m...mx282-18365681

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McMunn For This Useful Post:

I don't ever see anyone wearing a knife out in public. Most people conceal them, if they're carrying. I'm not aware if he did carry one at school. I don't know if they have metal detectors at Mercer, but I would think that carrying a weapon at school would be a big no-no.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McMunn For This Useful Post:

No. It's not "normal."

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThinMan For This Useful Post:

I know that we cannot post any family pics of McD on here, but in one picture that I have seen of him, he was wearing a holster and was sliding about an 8-12" knife into it that looked like this: http://www.shopmania.com/hunting/p-m...mx282-18365681
    Thanks, McMunn.

The picture that I have seen was more like a filet or sword style of knife, that was embellished, or whatever, something like the one below, but hard to distinguish, because it is in the holder, on his hip.

Was SM a hunter or fisherman?

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=fillet...w=1366&bih=622

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

Not only is it NOT normal, but it's also probably illegal to carry a big knife onto school property, including Universities. Check out this website for a layman's translation of Georgia's weapons law: http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php:

"Weapon - Are defined as a handgun or a knife (except 16-11-127.1 which has its own definition for weapon). (16-11-125.1)

Knife - A cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle.

Weapons on school property and functions: It is unlawful for a person to carry ANY type of weapon onto any real property (real estate... land or buildings) owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education, any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of post secondary education.

This code section does not apply to persons who have a valid Weapons Carry license . . . .

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThinMan For This Useful Post:

It has been mentioned here before that SM had a knife collection. Where did the info come from? Did he have his knife collection with him at school?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

Alright. I think we should not be discussing pictures we can't post, because I think I know which picture you mean and: (a) He's not sliding it into a holster and (b) it doesn't look like the picture you linked at all. You can only see the hilt and it looks like some sort of decorative sword hilt. The guy is a gamer. He has and wears chain mail. He probably has swords too.

The histrionics and linking to a menacing-looking weapon that likely bears no resemblance to whatever he was wearing on his belt in that picture is unfair and unsupportable.
    If I can stop one heart from breaking,
    I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin
    Unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    ~Emily Dickinson~

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to southern_comfort For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by southern_comfort View Post
    Alright. I think we should not be discussing pictures we can't post, because I think I know which picture you mean and: (a) He's not sliding it into a holster and (b) it doesn't look like the picture you linked at all. You can only see the hilt and it looks like some sort of decorative sword hilt. The guy is a gamer. He has and wears chain mail. He probably has swords too.

The histrionics and linking to a menacing-looking weapon that likely bears no resemblance to whatever he was wearing on his belt in that picture is unfair and unsupportable.
    I have seen a photo in which he wears a knife which looks almost exactly like that photo the OP McMunn linked, and you can see the entire blade in the photo of McD the OP is talking about as he is holding it and about to slide it into his holster. The OP had it right, you must have seen a different photo. But you're right that talking about photos we can't link will cause this kind of confusion ^

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angelanalyzes For This Useful Post:

McDaniel Interview Audio/Video

== Audio ==

AM940/WMAC (29m 54s)
    http://www.wmac-am.com/includes/news...oclockhour.mp3
    * Relevant portion: 11:07 to 29:06 (~18min)
    * This was an audio broadcast w/commentary of the Long Video from 24-WGXA

== Long Video ==

WGXA/24 (11m 39s)
    http://www.newscentralga.com/news/lo...126361528.html (Article w/Video)
    http://cdn.bimfs.com/WGXA/5692f15a08...1d9cd497b3.mp4 (Direct Link)

== Short Video ==

WMAZ/13 (3m 05s)
    http://www.13wmaz.com/video/default....=1034114633001
    * Footage from 2:07 to 3:05 is not included in Long Video (or Audio)
    * Better picture quality than Long Video

== Audio/Video Overlap ==
    Code:
              == Audio ==                       == Video ==
    Commentary        Interview         Long (WGXA)       Short (WMAZ)
    11:07 to 13:35
                      13:35 to 13:49
                      13:49 to 15:30    00:00 to 01:52
    15:30 to 16:41
                      16:41 to 22:04    02:02 to 07:23
                      22:04 to 24:07    07:23 to 09:26    00:00 to 02:07
                                                          02:07 to 03:05
    24:07 to 24:52
    24:52 to 25:09    (Audio Muted)     09:40 to 09:58
                      25:09 to 26:47    09:58 to 11:39
    26:47 to 29:06
    It's times like this when I think "Hmm... Is there not something better I could be doing with my time???"

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~SuperSleuth~ For This Useful Post:

Arrow Other poss. reasons, LE not issuing Dangerous-Killer-in-Community

“…To even consider that LE would not warn or inform the public that there was a dangerous killer in the community would be the height of irresponsibility on their part. I cannot imagine that scenario in my wildest dreams that they are putting Macon citizens at risk of being murdered just because they don't want to create panic….” (from post 228, by Idreamofgenie)

To above post suggesting/concluding avoiding-public-panic is the reason LE is failing to issue a warning, I imagine another reason could be potential repercussions at trial.

If LE issues Dangerous-Killer-in-the-Community warning and if SMcD, who is now in custody, is ultimately prosecuted for the death, does this allow his defense attorney ---

to put LE witness on the stand to ask about the warning, the timing & circumstances, etc. and
    in closing argument, argue (among other things) if LE issued a D-K-C warning while SMcD was in jail, then ---

---the evidence LE gathered early-on showed the D-K-C was “real killer” and

---LE planted or created evidence against SMcD to cover-up LE incompetence, etc. {BTW, I’ve read nothing to make me think there’s bn. any of this.} and

---The “real killer” is still out there, so the jury s/find the defendant not guilty {as we hear in so many closing arguments by defense counsel}.

The above is only speculation on my part about possible reason for no D-K-C warning and does not reflect my opinion re SMcD’s guilt or innocence.

Possible repercussions at trial may be a reason for LE not to issue a D-K-C warning any time someone is in jail on another charge and in a circumstance where LE can continue investigating the homicide.

My thoughts and prayers for victim and family in this awful crime, and to those investigating and prosecuting.

To Idreamofgenie and others, I stress my thoughts above offer an additional or alternative reason, not the only reason for LE’s no-warning.
    Last edited by al66pine; 07-30-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: to correct sp.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to al66pine For This Useful Post:

SmoothOperator is online now Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    Speaking In terms of tunnel vision versus keeping one's mind open to all possibilities(about who, how, why, when, where regarding a murder).. I just want to say that I can only speak for myself, tho I do feel that in the length of time being a member here and being familiar with several others I think it's quite possible that they could also feel quite similar.. But am not going to speak on behalf of anyone but myself..

I understand tunnel vision and I understand just how much true tunnel vision can work against an investigation(speaking of LE having tunnel vision).. Tho I see that with the vast majority LE is capable of handling it professionally without personal feelings or motives directing their judgement but there is always an exception to that and sadly we see that from time to time(perfect example Riley Fox case IMO).. I want to reiterate that I do NOT see this at all in this case and IMO this agency is doing the absolute best they can and with their not having a great deal of experience in such high profile cases I think they're doing a great job working hand in hand with the GBI and FBI..

Here on a board like WS tunnel vision unfortunately is an individual's right to have as their personal view.. It will not harm or misdirect the outcome of an investigation(thankfully).. And tho I feel the majority of people do not tend to get tunnel vision.. Some however do.. And that's ok, too.. It's not our job as members here to try to change other members view of how they see things.. It's one of the many things that sets apart WS and makes them miles apart from the rest of crime boards.. Everyone Is not only able to have their own view and opinion but they are even encouraged to voice that opinion and even detail the reasons they feel as strongly as they do about certain aspects of a case.. Tho, Of course at times, usually when tensions are high as well as frustrations every once in a while some us may get snippy or overly protective of our view or opinion.. That's when the great mods like bessie step in and remind us that we all are equal here and no one's opinion or view is better than or worse than anyone elses, nor is one's right and one's wrong... They are opinions and we all here are encouraged to voice ours.. Fact on the other hand is right or wrong and again this where mods like bessie will watch us like hawks to ensure that we stay miles apart from the other boards that are known to be nothing more than rumor mongers.. It's why it's so important to state it's jmo, moo, IMO.. And not an official fact..

So in going back to the tunnel vision versus keeping an open mind to all possibilities.. Personally I have found that I am 100% able to ALWAYS keep in my mind that throughout the entire investigation(and my God how many of us know investigations and cases can carry on for many years-Haleigh Cummings) and I find that even there tho, I greatly feel strongly about certain individuals and feel strongly about some of the who, the why, and the where.. But no matter how strongly I may feel I am always capable of receiving new information, additional and new details and perfectly capable of looking at them with a complete open mind.. Not allowing what I felt before this new info to influence what I feel or make of this new information that has come to light.. And if that new info is pointing away from someone that I was leaning toward as the perp then that is dually noted and a new important piece of the puzzle
    Which is the entire grand scheme of the whole entire case and investigation.. It is NEVER discarded or ignored just because it's not damning information against the person whom I believe is the perp.. It is infact a new piece to the grand scheme of the puzzle and every bit just as important as every other piece that we have thus far.. I am perfectly capable of this and wondered years ago would I be when first beginning to watch as a case unfolded.. I am, as I believe many others here, too are able and capable to do just the exact same..

What I do find important tho is when looking at each piece of the puzzle, and incorporating each new detail or bit of info that is learned thus being another piece to the puzzle.. I think it is very important to not tear apart, nit pick to death each new found piece to the puzzle.. And this also is done many times as we see here in different cases.. Just because that new info, that newest piece may not jive with something one feels is a certain way and therefor it is challenged over and over and nit picked at, with each new piece similarly done the same.. So too will this destroy the puzzle that is piece by piece building itself to be.. If we are INCAPABLE of not being able to look back at the grand scheme of the puzzle as a whole AND NOT AS EACH INDIVIDUAL PIECE NIT PICKING AND CHALLENGING EACH PIECE RATHER THAN FINDING IT'S SPOT AND FITTING THE NEW PIECE INTO THE PUZZLE AS A WHOLE.. then so too is this negatively going to impact seeing a case for what it is as a whole.. Built piece by piece til the faces and the names form and become clearer..*

Both are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY in order to complete the grand scheme of the puzzle/the investigation.. One
    Must not only be capable of always keeping in their mind that each new piece of information must be received with an unbiased view.. But just as important is they must always be able to look at the total big picture of all of the pieces having been found to fit in their correct positions and what all of those pieces TOGETHER FORM AS A TOTAL PICTURE/THE GRAND SCHEME OF THE INVESTIGATION..
    Both of these capabilities are a must in truly unfolding an investigation, even from the sidelines where we stand..

And I know that I personally may strongly voice my opinions about cases and about with what is known thus far that I strongly feel about the who, the why, the how, when, and where.. And just as strongly as I feel about those things I so too know that I am capable of receiving new information unbiased and that may indeed change or direct those strong feelings or opinions in another direction.. And I have found that when that happens I am capable of moving in that other direction and not being lost to it due to tunnel vision..

So while I understand that true "tunnel vision" will get us nowhere so too will not being able to look at what all the pieces together as a whole form and seeing the big picture, not nit picking each piece of it to death..that too will get us nowhere..

Just some thoughts and opinions on what I personally am capable of doing and feel that many others are as well and that just because we may voice our opinions strongly about what those opinions are is in no way indicative that we are not able to receive new info and details from a completely unbiased view..

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SmoothOperator For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ~SuperSleuth~ View Post
    == Audio ==

AM940/WMAC (29m 54s)
    http://www.wmac-am.com/includes/news...oclockhour.mp3
    * Relevant portion: 11:07 to 29:06 (~18min)
    * This was an audio broadcast w/commentary of the Long Video from 24-WGXA

== Long Video ==

WGXA/24 (11m 39s)
    http://www.newscentralga.com/news/lo...126361528.html (Article w/Video)
    http://cdn.bimfs.com/WGXA/5692f15a08...1d9cd497b3.mp4 (Direct Link)

== Short Video ==

WMAZ/13 (3m 05s)
    http://www.13wmaz.com/video/default....=1034114633001
    * Footage from 2:07 to 3:05 is not included in Long Video (or Audio)
    * Better picture quality than Long Video

== Audio/Video Overlap ==
    Code:
              == Audio ==                       == Video ==
    Commentary        Interview         Long (WGXA)       Short (WMAZ)
    11:07 to 13:35
                      13:35 to 13:49
                      13:49 to 15:30    00:00 to 01:52
    15:30 to 16:41
                      16:41 to 22:04    02:02 to 07:23
                      22:04 to 24:07    07:23 to 09:26    00:00 to 02:07
                                                          02:07 to 03:05
    24:07 to 24:52
    24:52 to 25:09    (Audio Muted)     09:40 to 09:58
                      25:09 to 26:47    09:58 to 11:39
    26:47 to 29:06
    It's times like this when I think "Hmm... Is there not something better I could be doing with my time???"
    Wow. I finally got to see the video of McDaniel hearing about the body.
    Before I had said that he seemed taken aback, I said it could be because he didn't think the cops would intercept the trash. I believe I was wrong.
    He wasn't taken aback at all, he was acting. Even if he's innocent, he was definitely trying to dramatize and come off "sincerely upset" for a number of reasons. If he's guilty the reason he'd fake it is obvious, too. Either way he did not look sincere to me, especially as he said "BODY?" and then everything after that, it was all contrived!
    He seems genuine and so sweet when discussing their search efforts, aside from moments where it seems he's trying to emphasize something like she was "snatched" while running and that her apartment showed no signs of any break in...but when he was told of the body, he was putting on a show. I can't believe it, it's not so obvious on audio but in the video it hit me like a ton of bricks.
    I also find it weird that at a time where he is supposedly thinking Lauren, his neighbor who he described as "nice as she could be" and was concerned enough about apparently to join search efforts with people much closer to her than he, is MISSING, he can say something like "someone might have snatched her while running" without seeming disturbed by the idea, even though the "snatched while running" theory essentially would mean she had been killed.
    Just me?

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to angelanalyzes For This Useful Post:

I think LE has their guy in custody. JMO.
    Just my opinion, of course.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
    IMO that interview does seem to be rolling from a different angle than what we originally said.. But that could easily be why this video wasn't posted til last night because it was shot on another news medias cam.. And then when they went public with it on their site Michelle news site could then post it to their news site since it was now public.. Just some thoughts definitely not stating any of that as fact..

His reaction when the words are spoken about body being found IMO says it all.. When he said he thought he needed to sit down I absolutely 100% believe that he did need to sit down.. Due to his life, his future, all of his hard work.. Just like that was jerked out from under him with Lauren's body being discovered..

When sitting on the curb he's head bowed and shaking his head.. I think in that instance he knew it was all downhill in spiraling downward to this life that he had known just moments ago before the discovery.. It was all over but the crying and IMO Stephen McDaniel knew in that very instant without a doubt that it was all over..

Jmo, opinions but I must say that at this point I feel very strongly that McD is the perp.. For many of the same reasons a couple of members posted earlier upthread including the gut instinct..
    <emphasis is mine>
    Here, I think you are right, Smooth. I didn't see the entire video until this recent posting -- the fragments I had seen were on another TV news site, I believe, and I agree that it was from a different camera angle. However, the words are the same -- not just similar, but the same -- and the recently posted full version is also the same as Destini's transcript of Fox24's entire interview in audio as played on the radio program.

I think what may have happened is that as SM was giving the interview, two or three media outlets got in on the action. Think what was recently posted was Fox24's full version of their own video shoot of the full interview.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

I've been loosely keeping track of this case and really was hoping SM had nothing to do with it, however, hearing the audio and seeing the video when he found out about the body gave me two distinctly different feelings about him He seems like he might have some type of social disorder and possibly emotional immaturity (Asperger's?) and maybe he was upset that Lauren was moving, or this was his last chance to "be with" her. Uhhggg, who knows; or maybe, he did nothing at all but try to search! He seems so mild mannered it's hard to envision him cutting a body up. Ok, I've talked myself back to where I started.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alsmom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post

Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post

He was definitely shocked to hear that a BODY had been found.
    All that McD replied was "body?"
    and then, "I think I need to sit down."
    My thoughts are:
    If he were innocent wouldn't he have asked questions based along this line:
    Where did they find a body?
    Who found it?
    Are they sure it is Lauren?
    What happened to her?
    Are they sure she is dead?
    Who could have done this?
    Do they know who killed her?
    Those are the thoughts that come to my mind if I were told that my neighbor's body was found in the parking lot.
    In the video McD makes no inquiry.
    Maybe he did off camera and it was not recorded. (??)
    I think he was in complete shock at the repercussions of the body being found.
    Now, everything had changed.
    Another thing that catches my attention is when the reporter asks
    "Did she have any enemies, do you know of anyone who would want to hurt her?"
    McD avoids that question and redirects the conversation: "We don't know where she is..." then he proceeds to comment with reference to her running and that maybe someone snatched her.
    Another point from the video:
    In part 1 and part 2 of the video McD explicitly states that
    "No one has seen her since Saturday".
    This interview was 5 days later. He was studying for the bar. How did he know that NO ONE had seen Lauren since Saturday?
    He also makes a comment about her car that is odd to me:
    When asked by the reporter Michelle Quesada if that was Lauren's car. He states that "No that car was Detective Patterson's... Lauren's car had been there for days."
    Why would he think that her car had been there for days? How would he know that she had not driven her car when he was not aware?
    ***************************These are very tell tale signs for me.
    What do you think about these points?
    Your ideas are appreciated.

Backwoods, you just qualified for the JURY!
    I appreciate your thoughts, but as Bessie said previously, we will have to agree to disagree.
    (respectfully snipped for focus, and emphasis above mine)

I guess I would be pretty fair jury material at this point! ... except, of course, that I do not support capital punishment and so would be unlikely to make it to the box in a Georgia murder trial, and also that I have been pretty well enmeshed in media reports, forum discussions, rampant rumor and other influences that I am not sure I could truthfully say I could totally sort out in my mind

In a way, I think this forum makes an interesting place to study possible jury behavior, for sure. To a point, we could be seen as a mock jury. Sometimes I just get the uncomfortable feeling that some of us are in a real big hurry to make it home in time for supper, or to milk the cow, or not miss the big golf game!

I can't see it as a bad thing to have that "toggle switch" in my mind at this point, when so much of the important evidence is yet to be available. Like others, I think we may get at least a better inkling of the evidence very soon in the days ahead.

I posted the other day to tell another poster that I would "stand with" her when she said something to the effect that she was not yet totally convinced of SM's guilt but would stand red-faced and ashamed before everyone who is if further evidence proves he is indeed the perp. What I really should have posted was that I do not see any reason for her, or me, to anticipate needing to stand ashamed for not having "reached a verdict" at this point, whatever the outcome eventually.

I said to someone the other day that it is not a particularly comfortable position, being "on the fence", at this point. Nor do I feel it should be, for me or especially for a real-life juror. Right now it is emotionally draining to me, actually. If anyone is interested, I'm having a "he probably did it" day today; I still do go back and forth at this point, with, as I said, the most telling evidence yet to be available. I have about three really strong reasons when I am "leaning" toward SM as being the perp. All of them depend somewhat on that as-yet-not-known evidence, but I'll reveal one of them: the (apparent) timing of the placement of the torso in the trash bin.

I do know that I couldn't be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt on the evidence available to me now --realizing that some of you may know things I do not -- and certainly not on the SM interview video alone.
    Last edited by Backwoods; 07-30-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: to add info

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

I am not convinced of anything...I just feel that LE has some evidence back that points to their theory and are waiting for more. But if it is not there, then I certainly could not convict him.
    Just my opinion, of course.

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMom View Post
    Definitely agree that he should have walked away. I got the feeling he was just waiting to go home, and they found him. When he began talking, I saw someone just trying to give some information. I think he did want to talk it out with someone. This was someone that lived in the same place he did, so there is some concern no matter who you are. Someone living right next to you disappears, you are going to be concerned about safety issues. You know someone is missing and hear a body is found. You are going to be a little freaked out. I can see all of that as being normal reactions of someone innocent. Even the babbling afterward. Some people shut down when upset or shocked. Others start running off about every single moment they had contact with the person. The whos and whats start playing out in your head, and sometimes fall out of your mouth. Could be completely innocent. Or it could be back peddling.

I can't blame SM for murder based on the info we have been provided so far. I am holding out for more info. I can tell a lot of you think I am saying he is innocent of everything. I'm not. I am saying it isn't clearly him at this point, and because of it isn't clear, I want to work through other theories, too.

Back to the other video. I had no idea who this person was. No name was posted on it. I posted it because it was another 'friend' of LG, and he was discussing a lot about her and this incident. Many people on here focused on how SM reacted on his video when the body was found. They picked every little movement and word apart. Freezing single things into proof of his criminal mind. One recurring theme is looking down and to the left. That seems to scream lying murderer to a lot of people. I noticed this other person did that constantly. So, would that make him just as guilty?

To justiceforlauren, thank you for the link you provided. I think we can all take a lesson from LG's sister's comments:
    (regarding the part I bolded in your post above)
    Looks like you just made the first round of jury cuts, along with me, PsychoMom!

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast