Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMom View Post
    What stuck with me was they were not discussing arrests with the DA. Only discussing the info they have received. If they do not have an arrest in mind at this point, are they going to discuss removing people as POI with the DA? I would think if they had enough to make an arrest, they would have that done ASAP. They can always keep gathering more evidence to support the arrest before a trial. But, if they can't justify an arrest, what does that say?
    I'm not as puzzled by today's press conference as most seem to be. Chief Burns' purpose was to reassure the community that we don't have a serial killer on the prowl. The text messages were just too much for him and I think the rumor-mill is the source of his frustration. I know Coroner Leon Jones tried to squelch the rumors on last night's news, but the Chief is probably right that some folks would believe Burns when they would not believe Jones.

The only new info I could glean was that Burns & investigators are meeting with Winters "first of next week." That will be when they collectively make a decision about whether to charge SMD with the homicide, in advance of the Aug. 4 bond hearing. No doubt, without new charges, SMD will be bonded out on the burglary charges (not a flight risk and no danger to the public on those charges), so Winters will have to make his decision whether to allow the bond hearing to go forward. We should know, sometime between Monday and Thursday, whether SMD will be charged with the homicide.

My guess is that the case against SMD is not (yet) air-tight. Because of that, Winters and Burns prefer to delay any official charge so long as SMD remains in custody.

If there is a charge by the MPD or an indictment (the Grand Jury IS in session), I expect Floyd Buford to renew his conflict of interest motion. But we don't know whether there are any additional factual grounds for the motion when applied to the homicide that occurred after SMD's internship. It's a different question than Judge Self decided earlier.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThinMan For This Useful Post:

I guess I'm disappointed. I keep looking at SM and not being convinced he is the one. On the other hand, I was hoping today he would announce SM was being charged because all the evidence pointed to him. I want it to be him. If the evidence isn't there now, is it because it isn't leading in his direction? THAT possibility scares me. It opens up all the other possibilities running through my head.
    I know how you feel. I am not convinced it's him/SMcD but after hearing how he gets into those video games, I didnt' expect that from his calm demeanor that we've all seen. I'm he was in a state of shock when arrested if not guilty as we saw in teh lineup or whatever. But there is nothing on him. He's one smart cookie and quiet when he kills and dismembers............Weird, there'd have to be something wouldnt there???? On the other hand, the body being in her trash bin seems to point to someone in the complex committing the crime.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomkat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
    Hi MOM, can you explain what you mean by that? Just didnt' understand.

He will be bonded becuase there is no obvious reason to hold him, do you think? His parents moved his stuff out of apt, he was scheduled to leave the 15th anyway. SO home to Stone Mountain? But he's not a suspect until the forensics come back and point to him. He's only charged with burglary and laurens apt wasnt burglarized. I dont' knwo what else they think they have on him
    Sorry for the confusion. Someone above stated SM wasn't going anywhere soon. I was pointing out that he could be going somewhere soon. With a bond hearing, he could be out of jail by next week.

And Chief Burns said he was not discussing arresting anyone in his meeting with the DA. It is isn't planning on discussing arrests then, I would expect SM's bond hearing will be able to go on as scheduled.
    It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. ~ Arthur Conan Doyle

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsychoMom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    I'm not as puzzled by today's press conference as most seem to be. Chief Burns' purpose was to reassure the community that we don't have a serial killer on the prowl. The text messages were just too much for him and I think the rumor-mill is the source of his frustration. I know Coroner Leon Jones tried to squelch the rumors on last night's news, but the Chief is probably right that some folks would believe Burns when they would not believe Jones.

I totally agree. I can think of 4 major colleges within 60 miles of Macon that will be starting back in the next few weeks. Until something solid comes out of the forensics, Chief Burns does not want to create panic or further speculation.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.Peacock For This Useful Post:

. <snipped> And Chief Burns said he was not discussing arresting anyone in his meeting with the DA. It is isn't planning on discussing arrests then, I would expect SM's bond hearing will be able to go on as scheduled.
    Think about this -- suppose Burns IS planning on wrapping up the investigation by first of next week (charging SMD). He needs the concurrence of Winters to present that charge to the Grand Jury.

So, he's not going to tip his hand now by saying the meeting with Winters is to discuss charging SMD with the homicide. His evident frustration is that the rumors flying about make it difficult for him to complete this investigation to his entire satisfaction (or at least as well as the FBI results allow), and he's not going to be forced into tipping his hand by some reporter at a press conference he called to say "The investigation is going smoothly; quit worrying; trust me."

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThinMan For This Useful Post:

Think about this -- suppose Burns IS planning on wrapping up the investigation by first of next week (charging SMD). He needs the concurrence of Winters to present that charge to the Grand Jury.

So, he's not going to tip his hand now by saying the meeting with Winters is to discuss charging SMD with the homicide. His evident frustration is that the rumors flying about make it difficult for him to complete this investigation to his entire satisfaction (or at least as well as the FBI results allow), and he's not going to be forced into tipping his hand by some reporter at a press conference he called to say "The investigation is going smoothly; quit worrying; trust me."
    I think he would say something like, "We are getting closer to closing this case. I expect we will be making an arrest soon. I promise this community will be safe from this killer." That would be reassuring the community. Saying you have nothing yet and not sure if and when you will is not very good.
    It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. ~ Arthur Conan Doyle

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsychoMom For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your words of wisdom!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McMunn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by angelanalyzes View Post
    I think the drains were searched because they felt it was likely the killer would have drained the blood [really don't like writing this] in the tub before or during the dismemberment.
    The question of cannibalism or not may never be answered [many won't admit to it] but can be ruled out logically if we get a firm theory of motive and method.
    So yesterday I learned that sewers are not necessarily where the poo goes in the case of the running. Are they in the case of the searching?
    now an official Penn State alum!

Kindness is magic. (Derek)

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter) <~~~ videos & pics of Harry right here

I am way behind on this case but saw Hash Harriers mentioned. Just wanted to mention a coinky dink with murderer John Gardner. His Mom was a member of this group and brought him with her to the groups nude runs and after party activities that got quite randy. Weird activity to bring your convicted sex offender son to IMO. Every chapter behaves differently though.

FWIW

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

The thing is, that LE is under an immense amount of pressure to press charges.

IMO, they needed to come out today, and confidentally reassure the public that they are safe, that an arrest is coming, and if that there is not a serial killer on the loose and here are the reasons why (facts).

If I were a resident of the Macon area, I would not be reassured by what was stated today. JMO

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
    I knew it, they have nothing...............only more of the same, waiting on forensics

Wouldnt' offer one bit of info. I'm guessing they dont' have anything else to do on this case especially until forensics are back. One article said they expected it back that week and that was posted on teh 14th July...........so is this an excessively long time to wait for forensics? Of course they sent truck loads (so2speak) to the VA lab.......

SO..........ONE POI I'm assuming. So if it's not him we're all up shoot creek and then there will be a serial killer on the loose.
    He said discussing with DA first of next week on cases, not arrest.
    Dead black female found in river was not a murder but there was dead body in river last week.......
    He needs lessons on live tv, too much rattling that darn paper and mumbling...........
    You're right Wondergirl, he's stressed or sick of the whole thing,seemed frustrated
    This is exactly how the rampant rumors the chief addressed get started. Read here:

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/26/1643...trying-to.html

The body found in the Ocmulgee was a man. They've addressed that they don't feel it's related.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SouthernKate For This Useful Post:

Here is the Raw Video for the Press Conference today:

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/10825708...-Giddings-Case

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PlainJaneDoe View Post
    So yesterday I learned that sewers are not necessarily where the poo goes in the case of the running. Are they in the case of the searching?
    How many times have the sewers been searched?

I seen this article (quoted and linked below) dated July 6th stating that the "storm drainage system" were going to be searched. Were the sewers again searched more recently? Possibly the sanitary sewer system. And yes Jane these would be the sewers where the poo goes.

The police news release quotes police Maj. Charles Stone as saying, "the Engineering Department will assist us in the search of the storm drainage system near the apartment complex. Bill and his staff are very familiar with the downtown area and can provide valuable information and assistance as we search for evidence. The complex continues to be a focus of the investigation."

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/15...-Laurel-Native

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Friday For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday View Post
    How many times have the sewers been searched?

I seen this article (quoted and linked below) dated July 6th stating that the "storm drainage system" were going to be searched. Were the sewers again searched more recently? Possibly the sanitary sewer system. And yes Jane these would be the sewers where the poo goes.
    I am not sure about more recent searches. I just remembered the search early this month, the one you referred to, and wondered - in light of what I learned yesterday and the pictures that people had posted of the "sewers" where there's plenty of room to run - if we were talking about the same kind of place being searched.
    now an official Penn State alum!

Kindness is magic. (Derek)

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter) <~~~ videos & pics of Harry right here

I am still at a loss as to why anyone would find it odd that the FBI lab is taking it's time on these tests and advising the MPD to zip it and be patient in light of the Casey Anthony verdict.
    Do not underestimate the impact that acquittal had on the forensic science community, good Lord, it was a game changer.
    The way this case is being handled is a perfect example.
    "Deep in each man is the knowledge that something knows of his existence. Something knows, and cannot be fled or hid from." - Cormac McCarthy

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to angelanalyzes For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast