1160 users online (204 members and 956 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Another comment....

Love how so many of these families "home school" their kids. Seriously, can we even assume 1 book was ever opened? If any school authority EVER met with this family (or made a home visit), they would see there was no home schooling going on. I know many people (good people) who home school their kids and it works great for them and their families and their beliefs. However, I seem to read more and more about abused kids being home schooled and it seems like there is a large, gaping loophole that needs to be closed. For these abused kids, it's just a way for the families to have the kids go unnoticed to society.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoGirl View Post
    With some diseases/conditions, the person has an absolutely insatiable appetite and padlocks are necessary on refrigerators and freezers. This is not one of those cases. That poor little girl.
    As I was typing my post above, I was thinking that too, that there are a very SMALL group of diseases where one might need to padlock their fridge. I agree with you, this doesn't sound like one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownRice View Post
    Another comment....

Love how so many of these families "home school" their kids. Seriously, can we even assume 1 book was ever opened? If any school authority EVER met with this family (or made a home visit), they would see there was no home schooling going on. I know many people (good people) who home school their kids and it works great for them and their families and their beliefs. However, I seem to read more and more about abused kids being home schooled and it seems like there is a large, gaping loophole that needs to be closed. For these abused kids, it's just a way for the families to have the kids go unnoticed to society.
    Some people, if they are of a particular mental "bent", would consider homeschooling just another way to control their kids. I homeschooled my daughter, not for any religious reasons, but because she had already gone through preschool successfully, but our school district changed the cut off date for Kindergarten age (changed from must be 5 by Sept. 30 to must be 5 by Aug. 1). My daughter's birthday is August 3. So my choices were: give her another year of preschool that she doesn't need; keep her out of school for a year; or homeschool her for this year.

My neighbor still cannot accept the fact that even though the school I worked with is accredited by the state, that my daughter was "really" in Kindergarten. She can't believe that our local school district will allow her to enter first grade in a few weeks. She keeps asking me, "Are you sure??"

Sometimes, homeschoolers get an unfair rap. We're not all religious zealots who abuse our kids. I know that's not what was being inferred here, but still felt the need to tell "my" homeschooling story.

And all because she took a damn popsicle from the freezer, like any kid would do. It was 103 degrees that day. A popsicle on a hot day.
    Last edited by BeanE; 07-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Documents: Girl who died in box suffered abuse for months
    Posted: 9:11 PM
    Last Updated: 33 minutes ago

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...rl's-death

Neighbors suspected abuse at home where girl was put in box
    Posted on July 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    Updated yesterday at 10:27 PM

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/N...126374553.html

Authorities arrested the Ame's elder cousin Samantha and her husband John Allen, both 23, on Wednesday night on suspicion of first-degree murder after they confessed to locking the child in the storage container, police said.

Cynthia Stoltzmann, 44, the girl's aunt and legal guardian and Samantha's mother, along with Judith Deal, 62, Stoltzmann's mother was nailed on Wednesday on suspicion of child abuse and kidnapping.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/1889...her-and-tw.htm

At their initial court appearances Thursday, the Allens were ordered held on $1 million cash bond each, while both Deal's and Stoltzmann's cash bail was set at $500,000.

A judge set all their preliminary hearings for Aug. 8.

http://www.standard.net/stories/2011...er-charge-ariz

"When they'd put her in the footlocker, they would pick it up and spin it around and then roll it across the floor," Crump said.

According to court documents, one backyard resident, Travis Naylor, said that about six months ago, he had returned home and heard screaming from inside the footlocker.

"He said Cynthia Stoltzmann was sitting on the box and playing on a laptop computer," court records say.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...#ixzz1TUngljeM

One witness told police that Ame was "the only child punished in the home," court records say.

The reason Ame was often in trouble: She so often was hungry. Ame, who was 4 feet 2 inches tall and weighed 59 pounds, was most often in trouble for taking food from the refrigerator, court records say.

Evil monsters...

rest in sweet peace lil one..
    my other car is a broomstick

Q: What's the best advice you can give to a witch on a broomstick?

A: Don't fly off the handle!

I wish she had been my neighbor.
    I would have fed her.
    "Life's splendor forever lies in wait about each one of us in all its fullness, but veiled from view, deep down, invisible, far off. It is there, though, not hostile, not reluctant, not deaf. If you summon it by the right word, by its right name, it will come."
    - Kafka
    "Know the right moment."

What I type here is mostly my opinion.
    I really don't care if my opinions offend.

I just heard about this a few minutes ago. It is mind boggling.
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect." Steven Wright

We really need to keep a close out for kids who may be enduring this kind of abuse, and call it in to social services when we have suspicions, so it can be checked out, and the child rescued if something is going on.

I know I said after Caylee's case that I wouldn't get emotionally involved again, but sweet little Ame is tugging at my heartstrings....

Poor, sweet girl....

Quote Originally Posted by BeanE View Post
    We really need to keep a close out for kids who may be enduring this kind of abuse, and call it in to social services when we have suspicions, so it can be checked out, and the child rescued if something is going on.
    Yes, and report it every time you hear or see anything, as the caretakers/family will deny abuse and the child will deny b/c they have been threatened with even worse abuse if they tell.

Call the police, call social services, call anyone you can. Call a child abuse hotline and find out what they may suggest, there may be even more steps that can be taken.

O/T My mother locked the fridge too, have no idea why. Yes, she was abusive. I just can't say anymore about it right now.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

AZ: Child Dies in Box: 4 Family Members Arrested

Absolutely sickened by this... So terribly sad and cruel. Oh how I wish that little girl could have been saved - and comforted and loved.

Child Dies in Box: 4 Family Members Arrested

(snip)

Detectives say they determined the child had been placed in the box as a form of punishment for stealing a popsicle from the freezer. Other children lived in the home and allegedly were told to go along with the lie that Ame died while playing hide and seek.

(snip)

Detectives say they forced Ame to eat hot sauce and dog feces as punishment and sleep on the shower floor every night with no pillow or blanket.

Police say when Ame was in the box, family members would kick the box and sit on it.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news...death-07282011
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast