MS MS - Janie Sanders, 16, Pascagoula, 26 Sept 1975

Himmie14

Reaction score
A cold case in my town of Pascagoula have been reopened. Janie Sanders was 16 when she was raped and killed on September 26, 1975. Her killer has never been caught. The detective looking into the case is asking for help locating people: witness, friends, other victims. I know this may be a bit of a long shot, but this murder has haunted this town. Maybe someone can help.

Detective Versiga is looking for any information regarding information on anyone who had reason to travel I-43 in the '70's, El Caminos that are dark blue or station wagons that could be mistaken as an El Camino, and anyone that was acting strange before or after her death.

He is also looking for a William Jaun, possible Jaun William, or his family. They either lived in Pascagoula or visited before 1973. He had a daughter that was between 10 and 17 years old in 1973.

Any information would help.

Janie Sanders was walking home from school near the corner of Louise and Lanier Streets.

She was abducted by a man. The vehicle used in the crime is now believed to be a blue El Camino with a camper shell and a CB whip antenna.

Sanders' body was dumped in a wooded area near the intersection of Grand Bay-Wilmer Road and Airport Boulevard in Mobile County. The teenager was abducted at 3:30 in the afternoon, and was dead by 4:10.

Detective Versiga said of all the suspects that have come and gone over the years, one stands out. His name is Larry Mann, who is on death row in Florida for killing a 10-year-old girl under similar circumstances. Versiga has proof that Mann was living in Pascagoula near Lanier Street in the early
1970s.

READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE:

http://www.wlox.com/story/13384024/who-killed-janie-sanders

Information from the Facebook Page.

A witness who saw the story on Facebook Contacted me and advised that she saw Janie get into the Blue El Camino. She advised that she lived in Pascagoula in 1975 and was walking home with Janie Sanders the day she was kidnapped and murdered and saw her get into the Blue El Camino with a camper shell and that it had a CB antenna.

This story corroborates the story given to Mobile, AL law enforcement in 1975. This Blue El Camino appears to be the suspect vehicle in the homicide of Janie Sanders. The year of this vehicle is believed to be manufactured before 1975.

The witness stated it appeared that Janie knew the suspect because she did not hesitate to get in the car when the door opened. She further stated the suspect had dark hair and was in his mid-twenties and was not a student. According to the witness Janie was about 100 feet south of Lanier when the El Camino pulled up next to her. She also stated that the El Camino came off Orchard Ave from the direction of Industrial Road. She states that after Janie got into the vehicle it continued further south on Louise St as if heading to Janie's house on Comanche.

TIMELINE:

Date: 09/24/1975
Janie Sanders gets out of school at about 3:05
Takes 20 minute to make the walk from school to Louise St
Janie Arrives at the intersection of Lanier and Louise at 3:25 and turns south on Louise St.
Janie is seen getting into the Blue El Camino at approximately 3:26
Janie is found at 4:15 in Grand Bay Alabama off of Grand Bay/Wilmer Road also known as McGowan Rd in 1975 stabbed to death.
Estimated time of death is 4:05
The drive takes 25 to 28 minutes to drive the distance from where she got into the vehicle to where she was found.
3:26 from 4:05 is 39 minutes(time till death occurred)
3:26 from 4:15 is 49 minutes(time till found)
39 minutes(death time) minus 28 minutes(drive) is 11 minutes
49 minutes(Total Time) minus 28 minutes(drive) is 21 minus (Rape/Murder)

IMPORTANT FACTS

She was killed in a different location then where she was found.
This basically means that Janie was either killed in Pascagoula right after she was picked up or she was killed along the path from where she was picked up and the place she was dumped.

With only 11 minutes to complete the crime, the suspect could not have deviated from the path of travel by to much or he could not have made the timeline that we now know.

The area was comfortable enough for the rape and murder to take place but not comfortable enough to leave her body. This would suggest someone local.

**Janie Sanders Homicide...Need Information**
by Darren Versiga on Saturday, February 5, 2011 at 11:21pm

I need anyone to come forward who may have had someone pull up to them in a vehicle and exspose themself. Do not get transfixed on the Blue El Camino...Bad Guy may have had another vehicle. This would have been in the 70's and 80's. He would pull really close to the female and drive by slow so someone could see what he was doing. Real Prevert. I'm sure that someone else is out there who may have been a victim of this guy and someone knows who this guy is. Someone knows of someones brother, father, or friend ...etc that was weird like this. Please call me with information. I have two victims so far and I know there are more. Both say he drove an El Camino.

I've read and listened to the stories. I'm trying to help him look for the proof to convict the killer. In a statement, a friend who was walking home with Janie claims that at 3:26 she saw Janie get into the El Camino without hesitation. That implies that she knew the suspect. We know that Larry Mann lived on Ladnier, but did he know Janie?

FACEBOOK INFORMATION FROM LE

During this new investigation, a similar case in St. Martin, MS where 13 year old Rose Marie Levandoski was kidnapped from her school in February of 1973 was discovered. In this case, Rose went to the bathroom during classes and was never seen alive again. She was found nude 21 days later floating in the Tchouticabauffa River in Biloxi, MS. She too had been stabbed. This case is also unsolved.

Further investigation uncovered another case that occurred in December of 1978 in Gautier, MS. In this case, 20 year old Debra Gunter was kidnapped from the Little General Convenient Store on Ladnier Rd. She was found partially nude 5 days later in McIntosh Alabama stabbed to death.

The city of Gautier(Debra Gunter) is between Pascagoula (Janie Sanders) and St. Martin (Rose Marie Levandoski). All of these cities are in Jackson County, MS. All three were within a 20 mile radius and although these cases are similar in nature, there is no creditable evidence to say the same killer committed all three crimes.

After several months of investigation we asked the media for help. This time we ran the El Camino information as well as mentioning the other two cases. This produced two leads. One lead was on the Rose Marie Levandoski case and is being investigate. The second lead was on Janie Sanders.

I've read and listened to the stories. I'm trying to help him look for the proof to convict the killer. In a statement, a friend who was walking home with Janie claims that at 3:26 she saw Janie get into the El Camino without hesitation. That implies that she knew the suspect. We know that Larry Mann lived on Ladnier, but did he know Janie?

How big is the town? Do you know what kind of work Mann did or where he lived? He might not have known her but might have been personable and she being young might have been too trusting.

Mann was a pedophile. He probably told her something to get her. How big is the town? I wonder what Mann did for a living.

Here's a article about Mann regarding the murder of 10-year-old, Elisa Nelson. He was convicted of her murder and and received the death sentence in Fl.

http://crime.about.com/od/deathrow/ig/Florida-Death-Row-Inmates/Larry-Mann.htm

I noticed several appeals but haven't located the outcome on any of them.

Just found the results of the appeals

Resentenced to Death for 3rd time 3/2/90

I don't see the connection between Mann and these murders. The girl he murdered wasn't stabbed. He used a pipe and hit her over the head. He slit his wrist afterward and tried to commit suicide. Maybe I'm wrong but this doesn't seem like his MO. He drove a pickup truck at that time.

JMO I think LE is putting everything out there trying to get people to come forward on all three cases hoping to find the perp. Of course I could be wrong.

Pascagoula back then was a small town, maybe 10,000-15000. More people passed through town on the way to the shipyard, who employed about 25000+ people. Mann lived on Ladnier St. which is how Janie walked home from school. I don't know what he did for living right now; I'll call Darren up in the morning to ask him.

The St. Martin case with Rose Marie has similarities to Janie's case, but the police aren't saying that they are connected. The Levandoski case is been reopened as well. I haven't talked to the police over there yet.

The deeper you die in the Sanders' case, the more lines blur. One woman has come forward about an attempted kidnapping in front of Jackson Elementary, also on Ladnier St. The car in question there is Orange Panel Van with black Stripes (Tape) pre '75 model. That van was used in an attempted kidnapping of a 12 year old St. Martin girl, as well as the car reported in 1973.

That's the problem people in town are having. Janie's case doesn't fit Mann's MO. I know that they're throwing everything out there, but most of the police in town went to school with Janie or her family. Cold cases in 'Goula haunt us.

Pascagoula back then was a small town, maybe 10,000-15000. More people passed through town on the way to the shipyard, who employed about 25000+ people. Mann lived on Ladnier St. which is how Janie walked home from school. I don't know what he did for living right now; I'll call Darren up in the morning to ask him.

The St. Martin case with Rose Marie has similarities to Janie's case, but the police aren't saying that they are connected. The Levandoski case is been reopened as well. I haven't talked to the police over there yet.

The deeper you die in the Sanders' case, the more lines blur. One woman has come forward about an attempted kidnapping in front of Jackson Elementary, also on Ladnier St. The car in question there is Orange Panel Van with black Stripes (Tape) pre '75 model. That van was used in an attempted kidnapping of a 12 year old St. Martin girl, as well as the car reported in 1973.

That's the problem people in town are having. Janie's case doesn't fit Mann's MO. I know that they're throwing everything out there, but most of the police in town went to school with Janie or her family. Cold cases in 'Goula haunt us.

I think its good that LE is putting it out there. I'm sure they are holding back on some things and that is understandable. Let's hope the right people will come forward.

Maybe the other girls need their own threads on WS since they don't think there is a connection. Just a thought.

I know they're holding back information. There are over 3000 pages of reports to read through, and not much has been released.

I've been thinking about making threads for them. It's easier to find information on Rose Levandoski, so I think I can give some information out on her case. Debra Gunter, however, is a different story. Other than the mention of her in the one article, I haven't found much on her case. My calls to the Gautier PD are going unanswered. Hopefully, I can find some more info at the libraries today.

An update on this case. Police have identified the tire trends and tracked them to a store in Redding, CA. Darren is looking for anyone who may have lived in the following areas, but been in Pascagoula in 1975. They may have been military, or just a shipyard worker here for a year.

Marysville, CA
Burney, CA
Yuba City, CA
Fall River Mills, CA
Chico, CA
Bieber, CA
Red Bluff, CA
Adin, CA
Anderson, CA
Canby, CA
Redding, CA
Alturas, CA
Palo Cedro, CA
Susanville, CA
Central Valley, CA (Now called Shasta Lake City)
Quincy, CA
Dunsmuir, CA
Chester, CA
Mt. Shasta, CA
McCloud, CA
Weed, CA
Weaverville, CA
Montague, CA
McArthur, CA
Yreka, CA
Klamath FAlls, OR

Please don't let this case go cold again. It's been too long, and Janie deserves justice like all victims.

Can somebody educate me please, Is this the type of car, a Chev El Camino ?

http://cars.oodle.com/chevrolet-el_camino/for-sale/station-wagons/

Open back ? I guess I was thinking more of something closed in, what we called an estate car.

That's it.

This is the 1969 model from your link.
19046542t.jpg

And this is a 1975 model
33066580002_medium.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3306658/1975-chevrolet-el-camino/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics