NV NV - Monica DaSilva, 7, Reno, 23 Sept 1990

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
Cold case investigators looking at possible link between Reno, Vegas child murders

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110728...urders?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Local News|s

2:08 PM, Jul. 28, 2011

Nearly 21 years ago, 7-year-old Monica DaSilva was snatched from her Reno bedroom by an intruder while her younger brother slept.

2 page article.

It gives the outlines of how the girls went missing and where they were located deceased. Monica was taken from her bedroom on Sept. 23, 1990 her bones were later found by a family hunting for rocks in Oct. of 1990.

On Nov. 23, 1986, April Rhodes went to sleep in her ground-level North Las Vegas bedroom on North Statz Street where she shared a bunk bed with her brother. She was found to be missing the next morning and later discovered in a nearby vacant apartment storage room.

The article doesn't state what evidence is leading them in the direction that these two might be connected in someway.

Both girls were abducted from their bedrooms, while their brothers slept. It seems so risky, from the perspective of the killer, to abduct children in this way. Monica's brother was too young to pretend to be asleep or to be threatened into silence (I'm thinking of Elizabeth Smart's sister and Polly Klaas's friend, here). I guess what I'm saying is, how would you know a toddler wouldn't wake up and cry? Maybe it was just a crazy risk the killer took anyway? I'm wondering if there have been any other similar cases in the meantime.

Either way, it's so disturbing. I hope they're close to finding this guy.

Both girls were abducted from their bedrooms, while their brothers slept. It seems so risky, from the perspective of the killer, to abduct children in this way. Monica's brother was too young to pretend to be asleep or to be threatened into silence (I'm thinking of Elizabeth Smart's sister and Polly Klaas's friend, here). I guess what I'm saying is, how would you know a toddler wouldn't wake up and cry? Maybe it was just a crazy risk the killer took anyway? I'm wondering if there have been any other similar cases in the meantime.

Either way, it's so disturbing. I hope they're close to finding this guy.

Monica's brother was five years old at the time; April's brother was 10. I wonder if the murder used something like chloroform or something of that nature to make sure that the brother stays asleep?

I would like to know why the screen was off of the window (who's idea it was)? Somehow, after reading the article, I have the belief that the killer was associated with April Rhodes building (either in maintenance or another resident) because how else would he know that particular apartment where he killed her was vacant at the time.

Monica's brother was five years old at the time; April's brother was 10. I wonder if the murder used something like chloroform or something of that nature to make sure that the brother stays asleep?

I would like to know why the screen was off of the window (who's idea it was)? Somehow, after reading the article, I have the belief that the killer was associated with April Rhodes building (either in maintenance or another resident) because how else would he know that particular apartment where he killed her was vacant at the time.

Huh, you're right about Monica's brother being five. For some reason, I glossed over that, because of where it said one of her favorite things to do was taking care of him. Seemed like something you'd say about a much younger child.

I agree, it does seem like he would have had a lot of familiarity and comfort regarding the apartment, to be so brazen.

About the screen, I went back and forth trying to interpret what "left open and its screen removed" meant. I thought it meant that's what the killer did, but it definitely could be by the residents. Unclear writing.

Jasper Everett Goddard was arrested on July 3 during a traffic stop in Missouri for the April Rhodes case. An arrest warrant had been issued due to a DNA match.

I just ran across this article in the Springfield News and Leader from Springfield, MO.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/...nder-links-him-rape-killing-Nevada-child-1986

I am replying to myself to add a couple of quote's from the article:

Ozark Police Officer Scott Forrester stopped a Chevrolet van on June 26 near the U.S. 65 interchange and Route CC after police received a complaint of road rage from another driver.

Forrester discovered that Goddard was wanted in North Las Vegas on a felony warrant in the November 1986 death of April Marie Rhodes.

The police report says in 1986, Goddard lived in a Statz Street apartment two doors away from where the Rhodes girl lived, not far from a storage room where the girl’s bloody body was found.

April Rhodes went to a drive-in movie with her mother, Katherine, and 11-year-old brother, Thomas, on Nov. 23, 1986. The family came home from the movie and the children went to bed. It would be the last night Katherine saw her daughter alive.

Newest article:

Reno police are investigating whether a Missouri man arrested on a murder charge last month is connected to the 1990 slaying of a 7-year-old Reno girl.

When authorities arrested Jasper Everett Goddard, 62, for a routine traffic stop in Ozark, Mo., on June 27, it was discovered he was a registered sex offender wanted by police in North Las Vegas on a felony warrant in the 1986 death of April Marie Rhodes.

Authorities sought Goddard after he was linked to Rhodes’ slaying through DNA evidence collected last October by a sex offender registry official in Missouri, according to a North Las Vegas police affidavit.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130712...stigate-Mo-arrestee-1990-DaSilva-child-murder

Hello All. Wondering if anyone has heard of any updates from this sicko's trial?

Sorry if info here somewhere, can't find anything past 2013

Thanks

Disappearance and death of Monica DaSilva still haunts detectives

http://mynews4.com/news/local/disappearance-and-death-of-monica-dasilva-still-haunts-detectives

A cold case detective recalls, "This is very shocking. This was a little girl. She was 7 years old."

What happened to Monica personally touched the detective, who also works undercover, so we are protecting her identity. She said, "As a mom, I can't imagine anything happening to my children, let alone somebody taking my children out of their bedroom while they slept at night."

But that is exactly what happened nearly 26 years ago at an Idlewild Drive apartment complex. Monica was taken from a back window of an apartment. The detective said, "She was with her mother and younger brother. They watched a movie together and it was then Monica went to her room to go to sleep. That would be the last time Monica's mother saw her beloved daughter and her younger brother saw his sister."

monica-dasilva.jpg

can we please pick up Monica's case again? Most of this chat isnt even about her): she deserves justice ):

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back