Page 6 of 80 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    I thought so too at the beginning but reading about the truck stops has me worried. Early on, I dismissed the fact that she may have been taken across the border but...........it seems smuggling kids across the border is a sad reality.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/on/news-no...ngston-eng.htm

ETA: I don't know the area but it being a small town, I wonder if there are country roads (remote) that can be taken without having to go across the border.
    Local folks and hunters know these areas well. There are miles of snowmobile trails and ATV trails that cross the border. They do not call this area "The Great North Woods" for nothing. It certainly is not Alaska or Montana but wild and remote just the same. One could disappear and never be seen again if they have survival skills. (skier)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skier For This Useful Post:

Hubby was just on the phone with me (he's in N. Stratford, NH, and I'm in CT now). There are posters everywhere he's been, from Groveton through Colebrook, and likely everywhere else North, East and West. Down by the river (which is low, but not as low as it can be), there were people fishing and searching. Two men from Maine came by, and they, too, were aware of the search, so everybody's eyes are truly looking. This is a huge ATV area, where people come from all over to ride the trails. I have no doubt that there is an immense search, both formally and informally, going on.

Stewartstown has a few stores, but fewer than most towns. It's small. I just wanted to add that since I saw mention of a store, in a post above. It wouldn't be too hard to track that down.

Many homes are just old trailers or shacks, where you wouldn't think people could live, but they do. They are, I have always assumed, camps. I don't want to give anyone the idea that I'm saying the area is a dump, but we have a lot of old farm houses, cabins, trailers, etc. down dirt roads. My thought when I heard about garbage searches was that people were going through yard junk (you know, looking under, etc.). The hubby says no. This would be garbage that was being collected individually for the dump. I didn't know Stewartstown had a dump. Just a thought, because I'm still not sure what is meant by garbage searches.

Yes, there are ways through the woods to get to Canada, but believe me, especially with ATVs being so big up here, it's not as easy to cross that border as it used to be (through the woods, or any other way). My belief is that whatever happened, if it was not of Celina's own volition, came about through someone close. I don't know if that means family, or friend, or what. I would almost hazard a guess and see if someone moved there, recently. It's hard to believe someone who would take a child (if that's what happened) could have been there all along.

I heard that Celina liked to fish. There's a spot on Route 3 (I think it's in Pittsburgh at that point), where the kids fish for competitions. It's small, though. My favorite places in the area are Christine Lake, Little Dummer Pond, Big Dummer Pond, the CT lakes, Fish Pond, off the top of my head. Across the river, in Canaan, there are a couple of ponds, too. The river likely runs either through her backyard, or close by, but I don't know if people fish there, when there are more serene places to do that. Pittsburgh, too, is a huge town, with few people, and most of it is protected land (Moose Alley runs through there to Canada). We have a lot of space!

I saw that names of sheriffs were being questioned (because they are/were the same: Cass, Noyes). Up here, many names are repeated. People have been here a long time. Just looking at street signs and thinking of some of my neighbors, I can think of many. It may be coincidence, or they may be related, either closely or distantly. Brighton (or Island Pond) is a cute town where we looked at buying an ice cream parlor. It would be more of a tourist place. I'm not sure that they would share a sheriff, especially considering the distance from Canaan (I think that was the town mentioned in the post).

Another thought is that perhaps she met someone online from a closer city, like Berlin (to the east). It's not a huge city, but I guess you could "hide" there. You'd think that with access to her computer, LE would have an idea about that.

Ok, this is my final thought. ) There is so much land up in the Great North Woods (from VT, to NH, to ME). My husband and I have differing viewpoints as to how easy it would be to find someone. He thinks it would be difficult, but my belief is that with the ATV season, and so many people aware of what's going on, (and these are wonderful people...the best in the world) it won't be as hard as it might, otherwise.

Prayes for Celina and her family and friends.

Way of life in N.H. town upended
    Girl’s disappearance alarms neighbors, puts spotlight on community

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...ded/?page=full

Strange that the community is hiding the parents. I've never seen anything like it.

They covered the parents with sheets when they left the home and they surrounded them in the crowd to avoid news cameras. Why?
    I'm learning more and more about how families need to be counseled when it comes to dealing with the media in crime cases. If you watch the Klaas Kids video on my link below, you'll see that a part of what KK does is help parents learn how to deal with the media.

Because I'm familiar with this site and have watched many a family in the news, I feel that I have a handle on what needs to be done. But I would be out there like Desiree Young or Diena Thompson and even the two of them have had speculation about their behavior even though it seems totally normal under the circumstances to me.

That being said, perhaps the family is so beside themselves that they don't want to be seen and their friends are trying to accommodate them in this way? It does seem odd and it looks like they could use some counseling in dealing with the media, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mck16 View Post
    It may be all very innocent. Small towns like this covet their privacy and we know that in other cases the parents have been derided and atmosphere becomes almost circus like. They may be so shy they are scared of the media etc. I know that I would be talking and pleading, but maybe these people are different. jmo
    At a vigil for their missing daughter? Sorry. It makes no sense to me.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    I'm learning more and more about how families need to be counseled when it comes to dealing with the media in crime cases. If you watch the Klaas Kids video on my link below, you'll see that a part of what KK does is help parents learn how to deal with the media.

Because I'm familiar with this site and have watched many a family in the news, I feel that I have a handle on what needs to be done. But I would be out there like Desiree Young or Diena Thompson and even the two of them have had speculation about their behavior even though it seems totally normal under the circumstances to me.

That being said, perhaps the family is so beside themselves that they don't want to be seen and their friends are trying to accommodate them in this way? It does seem odd and it looks like they could use some counseling in dealing with the media, IMO.
    I agree. I understand if it was having to speak out in public but at a prayer vigil? I know the media is all about ratings but I think if they are told ahead of time to respect the privacy, they would. Perhaps snap a couple of photos of the event and not of the parents, etc.

Anyway, my opinion based on other vigils I've seen for missing children.

I thought so too at the beginning but reading about the truck stops has me worried. Early on, I dismissed the fact that she may have been taken across the border but...........it seems smuggling kids across the border is a sad reality.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/on/news-no...ngston-eng.htm

ETA: I don't know the area but it being a small town, I wonder if there are country roads (remote) that can be taken without having to go across the border.
    ---------------------

On the west coast, near the Canadian border, there is the case of missing Lindsey Baum, IMO, from a very similar type of small-town atmosphere.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/125188309.html

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:

I think we can draw more than a few similarities and parallels from the Lindsey Baum case, albeit, opposite coast, we're talking about proximity to the Canadian border, she was 11 yrs. old, she was out walking (a maybe in the CC case), small town, lots of forested areas, some remoteness, etc.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post

I watched the link and it gave me some new appreciation for how much thought a parent has to put into what they say publicly - and for what KK does! <3

I think that the reaction to the SF's initial comments probably didn't encourage Celina's parents to make any more forays into public speaking. Maybe they are just afraid that no matter what they say, it will garner more criticism, especially if (as has been suggested by various comments on FB) they are being asked to keep a lid on it by the FBI or other LE? I don't know. I don't have children, and I don't plan to, so maybe I'm not the best to speculate.
    now an official Penn State alum!

Kindness is magic. (Derek)

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter) <~~~ videos & pics of Harry right here

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PlainJaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Celina's parents have consistently tried to keep their faces hidden when they are in public. It seems very unusual MOO Why would they do this ?

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to liz b. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    We all thought the same thing about Holly Bobo's disappearance as well. She was last seen outside of her home in a small town. But as the days, weeks, and months have passed since she vanished in April, she remains missing. And when Kyron disappeared from his school in June 2010, even LE said that they would have the case wrapped up within a week. Unfortunately that was not to be and Kyron still has not been found.

Even though I know it is unrealistic to expect this, I kinda wish LE could go against the protocol just once in one of these cases. I wish they could disclose everything they know and learn in the investigation as it transpires just to see if that produces a quicker resolution to the case. Again I realize that is never going to happen, but I like to imagine that transparency would be a beneficial thing in some situations. Just wondering....
    imo in a perfect world, transparency would be the best thing, always. it reminds me of when i first became a detention officer at a juvenile facility. the supervisor handed me some of the kids files and told me to read them. it felt invasive to me and i asked "why". he said "the more you know, the better off you are." i think its true in most situations and it proved very true in that one. in Celina's case i believe much could be gained from having more information available. unfortunately, there are those who would take any information they learned and use it to destroy innocent lives as we have seen happen again and again. on the flip side, i believe that the sleuths here would have solved many cases by now if they had all the information available to them. i think most LE officers are dedicated and caring but to be honest i have not met many who could hold a candle to some of the sleuths when it comes to finding things out.
    "Love one another. As I have loved you, love one another." Jesus

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nanny2five For This Useful Post:

I believe parents of missing children deserve a better media avenue than what is garnered by shows like NG, JVM & DD. With so many missing children/adults in our country you'd think by now we'd have a 24/7 tv station putting out facts and not the drama we currently are fed. That's just me though. Why stop at forums, message boards & radio? Maybe it's time to take that extra step?

Police deny they have given up hope that missing 11-year-old New Hampshire girl Celina Cass will be found alive, and the state has asked for manpower and equipment from neighboring states to aide in the search.

"It also could well be true that they just don't have any really viable leads on what happened or where Celina may be and they're hoping that the reward money will bring someone forward," said ABC News consultant and former FBI agent Brad Garrett.

"If someone has lured her away from her house, the odds of something bad happening are reasonably high," Garrett added.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/celina-cass...ry?id=14199134

****there are very good differing views of the house in the video***
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Know? View Post
    I believe parents of missing children deserve a better media avenue than what is garnered by shows like NG, JVM & DD. With so many missing children/adults in our country you'd think by now we'd have a 24/7 tv station putting out facts and not the drama we currently are fed. That's just me though. Why stop at forums, message boards & radio? Maybe it's time to take that extra step?
    Who knows? Maybe Tricia is heading in this direction.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Know? View Post
    if only, right Dr. Know? who really controls the media? and fwiw, i don't believe for a second that NG or JVM are nearly as stupid as they are paid A LOT of money to act. jmo, imo, mho and all that jazz.
    "Love one another. As I have loved you, love one another." Jesus

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nanny2five For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nanny2five View Post
    imo in a perfect world, transparency would be the best thing, always. it reminds me of when i first became a detention officer at a juvenile facility. the supervisor handed me some of the kids files and told me to read them. it felt invasive to me and i asked "why". he said "the more you know, the better off you are." i think its true in most situations and it proved very true in that one. in Celina's case i believe much could be gained from having more information available. unfortunately, there are those who would take any information they learned and use it to destroy innocent lives as we have seen happen again and again. on the flip side, i believe that the sleuths here would have solved many cases by now if they had all the information available to them. i think most LE officers are dedicated and caring but to be honest i have not met many who could hold a candle to some of the sleuths when it comes to finding things out.
    ---------------
    I know that there can be tunnel vision and/or linkage blindness in many cases.

Starting close, then moving outwards sometimes doesn't yield results, but sometimes does.

I think there should be two approaches operational concurrently: that is, going from the inner circle expanding outwards, and at the same time, taking a broadened view and moving inwards.

Could be similar to deductive and inductive reasoning.

JMO

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 80 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast