Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PDUBBY View Post
    What you are suggesting would get Buford disbarred if it were true. I see no reason to suggest that Buford is in cahoots with law enforcement. He was hired to defend McD. He filed a motion for bond and set it for the first available date at the time. He then realized his strategy was going to be to try to get the DA's office disqualified so he put off his bond request because the DA's conflict issue would have to be dealt with first or it would be waived. He then set his motion on the conflict issue for the first available date. When the judge denied the motion, it appears Buford refiled for the first available date to have the bond hearing heard.

It does sound like a lot of time to be in jail without bond for entering two homes and stealing two condoms but there doesn't appear to be anything nefarious going on here.
    I understand and agree with what you're saying here, but it seems to me that everyone pretty much
    knew that the conflict motion would be denied. Surely he knew this, so why file it when it would just
    put the bond hearing further out? Just going through the motions? Did he feel he needed a record
    of the attempt, regardless of how he knew it would turn out?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~SuperSleuth~ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pig View Post
    Generally, grand juries meet at scheduled intervals, usually monthly; but, they can meet more often depending on the nature of their work. I haven't a clue as to how the Bibb County grand jury conducts its affairs; however, McD need not be indicted to be held.

To my knowledge, he hasn't been indicted on the burglary charge, and it appears that Georgia follows the 90-day rule (states can adopt their own rules on how long someone can be held without being indicted). Thus, it seems that McD could be held for 90 days pre-indictment, without a bond hearing, for another crime. A grand jury meeting this week is certainly not imperative to keep McD in jail.

The waiting game seems very unfair sometimes; it really shows the importance of having a good lawyer.
    THAT Is what I was looking for, Thanks for that helpful info, Pdubby can undertand this.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SuperSleuth~ View Post
    I understand and agree with what you're saying here, but it seems to me that everyone pretty much
    knew that the conflict motion would be denied. Surely he knew this, so why file it when it would just
    put the bond hearing further out? Just going through the motions? Did he feel he needed a record
    Perfecting the record is important- and any good lawyer will keep that in mind. Any objections/motions you believe you need to make should be made to protect any possible appeals process in the future.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lawette32 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
    It's ok, LOL, you can calm down. I never said anyone was in cahoots now did I? I don't doubt he he isn't NOT guilty of stealing anything, I"m not sure he isn't guilty of murder, I"m not suggesting anything illegal, re read the post please. As stated, we can voice our opinions so dont put words in my post. Thank you.
    I think you've misinterpreted my post. The bad part of the internet is you can't hear my tone which certainly wasn't yelling or upset.

On the issue of stalling the paperwork; that would in fact be enough to get Buford in trouble with the bar or even disbarred (i.e. if he intentionally delayed filing paperwork to keep his client in jail longer). It is also illegal as every criminal defendant has a right to assistance of counsel.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PDUBBY For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
    Why? That size is small, much shorter than the man carrying it and virtually the same price (new) as a 2-3 ft tall fridge. Very inexpensive when purchased used.
    Are you looking at this picture? It's at least as tall as the guy who looks like a tall guy to me.

http://media.macon.com/smedia/2011/0...Ni.SlMa.71.jpg

A proud decedent of The Declaration of Independence signer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3doglady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3doglady View Post
    Are you looking at this picture? It's at least as tall as the guy who looks like a tall guy to me.

http://media.macon.com/smedia/2011/0...Ni.SlMa.71.jpg
    OHHH ME, IT LOOKS LIKE THE SAME KIND I BUY FOR MY 60 APARTMENTS, for those who have lived in 1 apartment or 1 dorm

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    And all I have to say is just wait until everything comes to light.. In the end tho what I stated was a theory and nothing more I don't have to have any of his background for a theory.. I think when certain elements of this crime are brought to light ppl will be shaken to the very core.. I have wrangled back and forth with was it premeditated or was it sudden act of rage.. I still am not positive.. But when many of the details and circumstance come to light I know things will become clearer..
    As for Lauren having said something prior to her death about McD I agree with supersleuth and feel that the family is doing there best to protect the investigation until the charges are filed.. The details, circumstances, and the evidence will tell exactly what occurred.. And IMO it is straight up evil..

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SmoothOperator For This Useful Post:

The fact he filed the conflict motion was pretty solid evidence that McD's attorney was laying the groundwork for a defense on the murder charge. If this was really just a case about two stolen condoms, the goal would have been to get McD out in time to take the bar, if at all feasible.

But everyone knows it is not. The DA has every reason to stall on bringing an indictment down, particularly as this might very well be a capital case. There are different rules that apply, and things have to move faster. The longer they can stretch it before the indictment, the longer they will have overall.

And McD's attorney doesn't have much reason to try and get him out faster, really. He probably knows if he did try to bond out McD, it would just force the DA's hand -- he wouldn't actually be going anywhere, they'd just fast forward the schedule and bring charges sooner.

The conflict motion might not have been likely to succeed, but it was at least a shot at getting McD a trial somewhere with a less media saturated jury. And hey, all else fails, it'll now be preserved for an eventual appeal. It also effectively gives McD two bites at the apple, because if/when the murder charge is brought, McD can bring the conflict claim again, as it represents a different factual scenario (i.e., the new charge is for a crime that occurred after internship, rather than prior).

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Hyrax For This Useful Post:

Keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on W.S.

From my reading earlier, it seems if they charge McD, then he has the right to a Grand Jury indictment and a right to a Trial by Jury. So, he could waive both.
    Personally, I'm hoping that if the forensics come back with solid DNA evidence,
    McD will do the right thing - confess and let this family know exactly what happened
    and where the rest of Lauren is.

I am a little concerned about that article today though... sounds like they've gotten back
    some results, and they may not be enough. And given that LE apparently has no other POI,
    if McD did not do this... cold case.
    Not to mention the fact that a lot of people will believe he did it and simply managed to get away with it.
    Of course, I'm sure he'd rather deal with that. But this would still be pretty bad if he's truly innocent.

Sure would make things a lot simpler if they can find some solid DNA evidence.
    Who knows, they may have collected enough evidence to convict him even if they don't get this.
    But I'm sure that will be a tough process, and hard on everybody.

Ughhh... waiting, waiting....

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~SuperSleuth~ For This Useful Post:

Keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on W.S.

From my reading earlier, it seems if they charge McD, then he has the right to a Grand Jury indictment and a right to a Trial by Jury. So, he could waive both.
    Personally, I'm hoping that if the forensics come back with solid DNA evidence,
    McD will do the right thing - confess and let this family know exactly what happened
    and where the rest of Lauren is.

I am a little concerned about that article today though... sounds like they've gotten back
    some results, and they may not be enough. And given that LE apparently has no other POI,
    if McD did not do this... cold case.
    Not to mention the fact that a lot of people will believe he did it and simply managed to get away with it.
    Of course, I'm sure he'd rather deal with that. But this would still be pretty bad if he's truly innocent.

Sure would make things a lot simpler if they can find some solid DNA evidence.
    Who knows, they may have collected enough evidence to convict him even if they don't get this.
    But I'm sure that will be a tough process, and hard on everybody.

Ughhh... waiting, waiting....
    What bothers me so is that he's charged with some ludicrous burglary charge, or so all the public has been told and many are ready to hang the guy on murder, but I've been swayed a little more to the guilty side but would too. LOVE, to get that DNA evidence back SOOON to free an innocent man or convict a truly evil man and pray that if innocent, he's not damned for life.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomkat For This Useful Post:

The indictment can't be waived for a capital felony, so there will probably have to be an indictment at some point here. He could definitely forego trial and plead guilty, though.

I guess one thing I hoped would happen is that they would try to force McD to make a plea prior to Lauren's funeral, and try to cut some kind of deal. Now, there is basically no chance that they can try and make McD give the locations for the remaining body parts in time to let her be buried all at once.

Given the amount of time McD would have had to clean up and the proximity of the parties, I think the DNA evidence might be of less importance in this case. If McD just says, "Oh, Lauren came by to borrow some sugar," any stray bits of DNA the clean-up missed will be explainable. Forensics would be nice, but I think good old fashioned detective work, tracking down McD's movements and purchases during the relevant time period, etc., will ultimately be more valuable here.

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hyrax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
    The fact he filed the conflict motion was pretty solid evidence that McD's attorney was laying the groundwork for a defense on the murder charge. If this was really just a case about two stolen condoms, the goal would have been to get McD out in time to take the bar, if at all feasible.
    Good point. I take it that at that point, since there would only be an accusation,
    he would still be eligible to take the test. And if he passed it, then if convicted
    I guess they'd actually have to "dis-BAR" him or suspend his license?
    Which is probably harder or seen as more severe than simply forcing him to
    wait some time before taking the test. I'm not sure they would for such a charge.
    Personally, I think he could beat those charges, if what we know is all there is to it.

But everyone knows it is not. The DA has every reason to stall on bringing an indictment down, particularly as this might very well be a capital case. There are different rules that apply, and things have to move faster. The longer they can stretch it before the indictment, the longer they will have overall.

And McD's attorney doesn't have much reason to try and get him out faster, really. He probably knows if he did try to bond out McD, it would just force the DA's hand -- he wouldn't actually be going anywhere, they'd just fast forward the schedule and bring charges sooner.
    And I'm sure they didn't want that, since the DA would have brought out everything he could,
    including things that may ultimately not be relevant... and if they can't get the evidence
    they need back from the FBI lab (or if something else turned up) which caused them
    to decide not to charge him, then no harmful/embarrassing information would see the light of day.

The conflict motion might not have been likely to succeed, but it was at least a shot at getting McD a trial somewhere with a less media saturated jury. And hey, all else fails, it'll now be preserved for an eventual appeal. It also effectively gives McD two bites at the apple, because if/when the murder charge is brought, McD can bring the conflict claim again, as it represents a different factual scenario (i.e., the new charge is for a crime that occurred after internship, rather than prior).
    Given your other points, I can understand the move better now.

What an excellent post

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~SuperSleuth~ For This Useful Post:

The indictment can't be waived for a capital felony, so there will probably have to be an indictment at some point here. He could definitely forego trial and plead guilty, though.

I guess one thing I hoped would happen is that they would try to force McD to make a plea prior to Lauren's funeral, and try to cut some kind of deal. Now, there is basically no chance that they can try and make McD give the locations for the remaining body parts in time to let her be buried all at once.

Given the amount of time McD would have had to clean up and the proximity of the parties, I think the DNA evidence might be of less importance in this case. If McD just says, "Oh, Lauren came by to borrow some sugar," any stray bits of DNA the clean-up missed will be explainable. Forensics would be nice, but I think good old fashioned detective work, tracking down McD's movements and purchases during the relevant time period, etc., will ultimately be more valuable here.
    in reference to the part I bolded: At least one of the links we've had about the funeral mentioned that details about the burial "will be announced" -- so that part could still happen

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

MPD Chief Mike Burns and CID Major Charles Stone met with Bibb County DA Greg Winters, Assistant DA Nancy Malcor, and local FBI on the Lauren Giddings Homicide case. Chief Burns wanted a face-to-face collective review of evidence from each office. That was accomplished today. No further information at this time.
    http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...78257665520457

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~SuperSleuth~ For This Useful Post:

Looks like they met yesterday. Next one on October 17th.
    http://www.co.bibb.ga.us/Superior_Co...rialWeeks.aspx
    That is the circuit calendar showing dates for Crawford and Peach Counties. The Macon Judicial Circuit is comprised of Bibb (where this matter will be heard unless a change of venue is dictated, then it will be "out of the circuit") Peach and Crawford Counties. Peach and Crawford are both much smaller counties than what Bibb County is, and they only hold monthly or quarterly sessions of the Grand Jury.

IIRC, the Bibb County Grand Jury meets bi-weekly on Tuesdays. ICBM.......

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to currcat For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast