Linda Arndt's Deposition

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A HUGE THANK YOU to ACR, DejaNuBee, and Watching You for their hard work in getting the Arndt depo up for all of us to read.

I for one would like to apologize to Arndt for being so hard on her in the beginning. I was angry at the whole story. I only knew what I was told by the media. However, I will say it appears that Arndt, at the time of the depo, seems a bit paranoid. Perhaps for good reason. I don't know.

After all these years I would hope that hurt feelings would be somewhat soothed by now. I wonder if the anger against each other in the BPD is dissapating at all. I hope so.

It's been so long I don't know if it's right to even lay blame anymore. BUT, (you knew there would be a but right?) if the chain of command on the morning of the 26th been more clear then Arndt would not have been left alone in the Ramsey house.

Koby had taken apart the basic command positions that are in most police departments and restructured them to be more community friendly. Which can be a wonderful thing except when said community is hit with something like the Ramsey case. I am certain Koby had the community's best interest in his heart but with this case it just didn't work.

The full, legally obtained, Arndt depo is located right here.

http://www.acandyrose.com/03182000-arndtdepo-04102000.htm

BrotherMoon said:
OMG . My mind is wasting. What was I thinking.

Try it again BeeBee.

Thanks for letting me know.

I haven't finished reading, but so far I feel sorry for her, she was in way over her head, she didn't have the experience for this.
First she admits she KNEW John Ramsey killed his daughter the moment he brought his baby up the stairs.
Then she said she was at odds with the BPD who were certain Patsy did it.
She then talks a "tad" about a relationship with Priscilla.
She admits telling the FBI that John handed her a pad with a practice note.
( why should her assumptions, practice note, pineapple, be part of this investigation)
Will continue, it's sad.

From this little peek I will suggest she was easily led and by Priscilla at that!
IMO

I've never "blamed" Ardnt for anything. She requested "back-up" - needed help, got none. Left alone in this situation with too many people in the house.

What was going on in that meeting that was so important - more important than anyone showing up at the Ramsey house that morning?! They were in a meeting - and that was the beginning of the true cover-up.

When John brought JonBenet up those stairs - the whole charade of a kidnapping was exposed. Arndt witnessed it first hand. John found her - he didn't call for help, he didn't carry her in his arms - he held her, extended away from his body - showing the dead body - finally found.

Everything happened so fast, Arndt didn't have time to deduce thoughts - they were instincts in rapid fire going into her head. She knew something was wrong with the picture.

While the detectives were in their meeting - Arndt was on the front lines, by herself.

TLynn said:
I've never "blamed" Ardnt for anything. She requested "back-up" - needed help, got none. Left alone in this situation with too many people in the house.

What was going on in that meeting that was so important - more important than anyone showing up at the Ramsey house that morning?! They were in a meeting - and that was the beginning of the true cover-up.

When John brought JonBenet up those stairs - the whole charade of a kidnapping was exposed. Arndt witnessed it first hand. John found her - he didn't call for help, he didn't carry her in his arms - he held her, extended away from his body - showing the dead body - finally found.

Everything happened so fast, Arndt didn't have time to deduce thoughts - they were instincts in rapid fire going into her head. She knew something was wrong with the picture.

While the detectives were in their meeting - Arndt was on the front lines, by herself.

I have to agree with you TLynn...and John immediately moved JonBenet! What if she were terrible injured?

He didn't hold her close, he held her away as if she were a stick of wood.

Show Me said:
I have to agree with you TLynn...and John immediately moved JonBenet! What if she were terrible injured?

Show Me,

John Ramsey apparently held JonBenet away from himself because of the odor of decay. Linda Arndt commented on the odor after John placed JonBenet on the floor at the top of the basement stairs. IMO John knew all along, for almost half-a-day, that JonBenet's body was putrefying in that warm wine cellar (next to the boiler room). Sad.

JMO

25 Q. And you had lost track of John Ramsey for a

Page 117

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 period between 10:40 and twelve o'clock?

2 A. No.

3 Q. You didn't see him during that period of

4 time; is that correct?

5 A. No.

6 Q. It's not correct?

7 A. That is not correct.

8 Q. Didn't you report - all right. You said

9 sometime between 10:40 and 12:00 he went out to pick up

10 the mail.

11 A. No.

12 Q. What did you say?

13 A. I believe I worded it in my report rather

14 vaguely, and what I worded and what has been put out in

15 the media are not the same. I said something during

16 that time frame I saw John reading his mail.

AHHHHHHHHH..ONE LIE dispelled!
Throughout the depositions we will find the kernels of truth, eventually
revealing all of the lies we believed were LE sources and truths.(well some of us)

Show Me said:

Have you ever picked up a rigor mortis body before? It is like a stick! Stiff as a board is a term you have surely heard, well, there is a reason for it!

twizzler333 said:
Have you ever picked up a rigor mortis body before? It is like a stick! Stiff as a board is a term you have surely heard, well, there is a reason for it!

This is your child. You hold your child to your heart. Not away from you like a diseased animal.

I don't want to get too morbid but believe me, many of us have had loves ones die and held them. I can't imagine finding your child and holding her the way John did. That has always bothered. me.

It seems that holding a 45 lb. body that way, even for the length of the basement, would be hard on a persons arms. Especially with rigor mortis. And then all the way up the stairs? I've often wondered if this "story" was even true.

TLynn said:
She was clearly in a frustrating situation and I'm not trying to place blame either. BUT, she was a trained police officer right? Why didn't she secure that crime scene? Get some of those people out of that house? Particularly after she realized she was getting no back up.

Sally said:
She was clearly in a frustrating situation and I'm not trying to place blame either. BUT, she was a trained police officer right? Why didn't she secure that crime scene? Get some of those people out of that house? Particularly after she realized she was getting no back up.

I agree Sally ,

Linda Arndt did have a chance...

BPD WAS THE DUMB *advertiser censored**ES HERE.

It does prove she didn't know what to do, but what the hey.

Can someone please post the excerpt where Arndt describes John coming upstairs with the body? Or a page number or some reference in the depo? Thanks.

gsquared said:
Can someone please post the excerpt where Arndt describes John coming upstairs with the body? Or a page number or some reference in the depo? Thanks.

G2,

PMPT pb, pg 18:

"White knelt beside Ramsey and touched one of JonBenet's feet. The child was dead cold. A few moments later Ramsey picked up his daughter. Rigor mortis had set in and her body was rigid. Holding her by the waist like a plank of wood, he raced down the short hallway and up the basement stairs, yelling that JonBenet had been found. White had preceded Ramsey, shouting for an ambulance. It was 1:05 P.M.

"As Ramsey emerged from the stairwell carrying his daughter with his arms now around her waist, he turned and met Detective Arndt. JonBenet's hands were still extended above her head. A string hung from her right wrist; a bright red mark, the size of a quarter, was visible at the base of her throat. Ramsey placed JonBenet on a rug, just inside the front doorway. Arndt could see the child's lips were blue.

"It was obvious that JonBenet was dead. There was an odor of decay, and dried mucous from one of the nostrils was visible ..... John Ramsey began to moan."

JMO

BlueCrab said:
G2,

PMPT pb, pg 18:

"White knelt beside Ramsey and touched one of JonBenet's feet. The child was dead cold. A few moments later Ramsey picked up his daughter. Rigor mortis had set in and her body was rigid. Holding her by the waist like a plank of wood, he raced down the short hallway and up the basement stairs, yelling that JonBenet had been found. White had preceded Ramsey, shouting for an ambulance. It was 1:05 P.M.

"As Ramsey emerged from the stairwell carrying his daughter with his arms now around her waist, he turned and met Detective Arndt. JonBenet's hands were still extended above her head. A string hung from her right wrist; a bright red mark, the size of a quarter, was visible at the base of her throat. Ramsey placed JonBenet on a rug, just inside the front doorway. Arndt could see the child's lips were blue.

"It was obvious that JonBenet was dead. There was an odor of decay, and dried mucous from one of the nostrils was visible ..... John Ramsey began to moan."

JMO

Thanks BC. I know in the depo Arndt has an even more descriptive answer.
I'll try and find it for you gsquared.

WY, Deja, & ACR, STELLAR JOB LADIES! :woohoo:

A special thanks to you Tricia, for securing the depo for all of us to read firsthand.

If certain forums didn't just go "poof" over and over I would still have the 3 different explinations that John gave for the "missing" period of time....I remember what they were, but I don't have my source back ups. I think his changing his excuse of where he was during that time as well as Arndt's observations (that we talked about ages ago) as to his demeanor, etc helped me to realize that he either was involved or knows a lot more than he's letting on about what really happened that night.

There is nothing in the transcript of the depo that states exactly how John was carrying JonBenet's body that morning.
However, and a gigantic thank you to ACR (again) we have the GMA interview where she says this

1999-09-14 (T) Linda Arndt on Good Morning America (Tuesday)

"Vargas: When you turned and you saw John Ramsey carrying JonBenét up the basement steps, how was he carrying her?

Arndt: (pause) Um, away and up from his body

Vargas: Like this?

Arndt: Like this (holding out hands) with her lower body here (holds hand horizontally at her neck area) and her head above, yes

Vargas: You said it was apparent, even from that distance away, that she was dead

Arndt: There was no doubt.

Vargas: How did you know?

Arndt: She had rigor mortis. Her arms were rigid right above her head with no support."

She has all of the rest of it plus more here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back