Page 1 of 50 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1228

Thread: NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #8

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Puget Sound area, WA
    Posts
    21,278

    NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #8

    Please continue here.


    http://www.411gina.org/mauramurray.htm

    21-year-old Maura Murray disappeared on Monday, February 9, 2004 following a minor 1-car accident on Route 112 near Woodsville, New Hampshire.

    Previous threads:

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19255"]#1[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26673"]#2[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35400"]#3[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37443"]#4[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39383"]#5[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103377"]#6[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125300"]#7[/ame]


    Other links:

    Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/murray_maura.html

    Maura Murray Missing - http://www.mauramurraymissing.com/

    Nancy Grace America's Missing - http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/2011...ricas-missing/

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,554
    Thanks for the Charley Project rundown on this case. It's helpful for dates, and facts.

    Not sure what to make of the Project mentioning that the police (LE) do not consider this case to be one of foul play. That only leaves suicide? Is this correct?

    What else could it mean other then running away which is extremely unlikely even moreso then a or b. No money. No credit cards, etc.
    "The Greek word moira (μοῖρα) literally means a part or portion, and by extension one's portion in life or destiny.
    They controlled the metaphorical thread of life of every mortal from birth to death."

    Wikipedia

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Leomoon80 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    123
    I also wonder how, if they're convinced it isn't foul play, they are quoted as saying there's a 75% chance of conviction?

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jane Birch For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Birch View Post
    I also wonder how, if they're convinced it isn't foul play, they are quoted as saying there's a 75% chance of conviction?

    Where are they known to have said this?

    If so, then my uneducated guess would be to say that today, all Prosecutors need to bow-cow to the District Attorney office, to make sure they have a solid enough case against someone that justifies spending the taxpayer money on a case (ala OJ, Robert Blake, Casey Anthony, and on and on)

    Just like with Kyron's case they have ideas perhaps even unamed suspects, but no one is going to prosecute without an air tight case these days, or one that is seen as air tight to them.

    So, if they said this, then it sounds like they have someone in mind but cannot prove it yet.

    It seems to be a rather weird way to give the public some type of update after all these years, and not the least of course the family. : (
    "The Greek word moira (μοῖρα) literally means a part or portion, and by extension one's portion in life or destiny.
    They controlled the metaphorical thread of life of every mortal from birth to death."

    Wikipedia

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leomoon80 For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Leomoon80 View Post
    Where are they known to have said this?

    If so, then my uneducated guess would be to say that today, all Prosecutors need to bow-cow to the District Attorney office, to make sure they have a solid enough case against someone that justifies spending the taxpayer money on a case (ala OJ, Robert Blake, Casey Anthony, and on and on)

    Just like with Kyron's case they have ideas perhaps even unamed suspects, but no one is going to prosecute without an air tight case these days, or one that is seen as air tight to them.

    So, if they said this, then it sounds like they have someone in mind but cannot prove it yet.

    It seems to be a rather weird way to give the public some type of update after all these years, and not the least of course the family. : (
    http://www.mauramurraymissing.com/Ca...ord020909.html

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weird Tolkienish F For This Useful Post:


  11.  
     
  12. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Leomoon80 View Post
    Thanks for the Charley Project rundown on this case. It's helpful for dates, and facts.

    Not sure what to make of the Project mentioning that the police (LE) do not consider this case to be one of foul play. That only leaves suicide? Is this correct?

    What else could it mean other then running away which is extremely unlikely even moreso then a or b. No money. No credit cards, etc.
    That contradicts the NH cold case website:

    http://doj.nh.gov/criminal/cold-case...ura-murray.htm

    Maura was twenty-one years old when she disappeared and was last seen wearing a dark jacket and jeans. Her disappearance is being treated as suspicious.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weird Tolkienish F For This Useful Post:


  14. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,554
    REF: http://doj.nh.gov/criminal/cold-case...ura-murray.htm

    It occurred to me while reading this, that it is carefully worded (legally crafted) and considerations to all given, especially for the family who is mentioned by this State Agency.

    It occurs to me furthermore, that Fred Murray has been on the warpath on his daughter's case very active now for many years from writing to State Senators, to higher ups, etc.

    It's probably a seemingly contradictory statement to the prior one, because of concerns that he could sue the State.

    Has Mr. M threatened to do so in the past? They may just be extra careful these days to dot the "i" and cross the "t's "

    Otherwise, I haven't a clue or idea WHY they'd be reluctant to turn over to the family what they have and had two divergent statements, but since time has passed, it could just be a reconsideration of all the facts thus far cause them to change course.
    "The Greek word moira (μοῖρα) literally means a part or portion, and by extension one's portion in life or destiny.
    They controlled the metaphorical thread of life of every mortal from birth to death."

    Wikipedia

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leomoon80 For This Useful Post:


  16. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish F View Post
    That contradicts the NH cold case website:

    http://doj.nh.gov/criminal/cold-case...ura-murray.htm
    It may be a case there of newer info (Cold Case Unit, recently formed) superceding (which I probably spelled wrong!) Charley Project's info. I don't know when the last time the latter was updated.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jane Birch For This Useful Post:


  18. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Where I hang my hat.
    Posts
    10,156
    Old Steve, i had a fairly new Saturn at the time (I bought it new), but I did experience a stalling situation with that car at one time (a mouse nest in the air intake). The engine would pretty much feel like it was going to die. Fortunately, I didn't experience the stalling at high speeds. I've had stalling happen in other cars, but I would pretty much try to step on the gas to keep the car revved up. If I couldn't get it to keep going, I'd slow to a stop off to the side of the road. I was more concerned with people hitting me, then me hitting them, because my actions may have seemed unpredictable to other drivers.

    In Maura's case, it did occur to me that maybe an animal had crossed in front of her vehicle before the curve or someone in the opposite lane could have went across the center line after the curve towards her and she over reacted to the situation and lost control. Just some thoughts.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McSpy For This Useful Post:


  20. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    351
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." -- Nietzsche

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gnomony For This Useful Post:


  22. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Leomoon80 View Post
    REF: http://doj.nh.gov/criminal/cold-case...ura-murray.htm

    It occurred to me while reading this, that it is carefully worded (legally crafted) and considerations to all given, especially for the family who is mentioned by this State Agency.

    It occurs to me furthermore, that Fred Murray has been on the warpath on his daughter's case very active now for many years from writing to State Senators, to higher ups, etc.

    It's probably a seemingly contradictory statement to the prior one, because of concerns that he could sue the State.

    Has Mr. M threatened to do so in the past? They may just be extra careful these days to dot the "i" and cross the "t's "

    Otherwise, I haven't a clue or idea WHY they'd be reluctant to turn over to the family what they have and had two divergent statements, but since time has passed, it could just be a reconsideration of all the facts thus far cause them to change course.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...a+murray&hl=en

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weird Tolkienish F For This Useful Post:


  24. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    -Metro NYC
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomony View Post
    I noticed he mentions Butch's wife... thought they weren't married?
    I know, just a minor detail, but thinks like that bug me...

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to OldSteve For This Useful Post:


  26. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    I noticed he mentions Butch's wife... thought they weren't married?
    I know, just a minor detail, but thinks like that bug me...
    The "other man" is mentioned as having an Ex Wife who may or may not have gossiped to the LE that "here is my husband's statement about having MM in our Trailer"........Although as mentioned, that was just his sense of humor to joke about someone who the entire state is looking for.
    My husband use to have this same type of humor which personally, I never appreciated or saw as funny in the least.
    But I realize over 40 years of marriage that people are very different, and often this difference comes out in humorous approach to life and life's ironies.

    Note: I looked up the definition of ironies, because I wanted to express exactly how I felt about this situation,
    and I see the word is the correct one to use to show you how I feel about Mr. F. saying what otherwise, may be misconstrued by others as literal and factual :

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ironies
    a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance


    IF this then, is what others held against the man, then they (the others who did so) should wake up and smell the coffee!
    "The Greek word moira (μοῖρα) literally means a part or portion, and by extension one's portion in life or destiny.
    They controlled the metaphorical thread of life of every mortal from birth to death."

    Wikipedia

  27. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    I noticed he mentions Butch's wife... thought they weren't married?
    I know, just a minor detail, but thinks like that bug me...



    OldSteve,

    I too have often wondered if she was a wife or live-in girlfriend to Butch Atwood because I have seen her described as either or in various articles. I do know that the official police transcripts from that night refer to her as Mr. Atwood's Wife, but that doesn't neccessary make it a fact. The 911 operator could've jotted that down incorrectly (assumed she was talking to Mr. Atwood's wife).

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoops For This Useful Post:


  29. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the currently soggy northeast
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    I noticed he mentions Butch's wife... thought they weren't married?
    I know, just a minor detail, but thinks like that bug me...
    I believe she was referred to as his common-law wife...

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goodgirl65 For This Useful Post:


  31.  
     
  32. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    From Queens, New York
    Posts
    105
    I read in a news article that stated that one UMass friend of mauras has seemingly withheld information from the police because she didn't want to get Maura into trouble.

    http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ould_maura_be/

    Can anyone verify this?
    If it's true, then maybe this friend knows more about Mauras disappearance than anyone else.
    Maybe something went wrong at the party Maura attended before she crashed her car for the second time. I had a gut feeling about this before.
    My father was recently murdered. Dad, miss you and love you. May your killer be brought to justice.

  33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xLiqoricex For This Useful Post:


  34. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the currently soggy northeast
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by xLiqoricex View Post
    I read in a news article that stated that one UMass friend of mauras has seemingly withheld information from the police because she didn't want to get Maura into trouble.

    http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ould_maura_be/

    Can anyone verify this?
    If it's true, then maybe this friend knows more about Mauras disappearance than anyone else.
    Maybe something went wrong at the party Maura attended before she crashed her car for the second time. I had a gut feeling about this before.
    BBM

    From all that i've learned about this case, AFAIK Maura did not attend a party the day/night of her second car accident..I believe she left her dorm and just headed out toward wherever she was headed...

  35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goodgirl65 For This Useful Post:


  36. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by xLiqoricex View Post
    I read in a news article that stated that one UMass friend of mauras has seemingly withheld information from the police because she didn't want to get Maura into trouble.

    http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ould_maura_be/

    Can anyone verify this?
    If it's true, then maybe this friend knows more about Mauras disappearance than anyone else.
    Maybe something went wrong at the party Maura attended before she crashed her car for the second time. I had a gut feeling about this before.
    I couldn't find that reference, however, the Link does suggest that she told her sister how upset she was over the B.F. Yet the father says she doesn't think it would have played a role to upset her that much.

    Seems she WAS that upset, or so upset about something....that much seems clear (clear as mud?)

    IF she was "that" upset about something (and it does appear to be so), regardless of what the father thinks, then her mind wasn't operating clearly after that accident, kind of the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended) when she had that 2nd accident. "Seems" she was saying to herself, "that's enough".


    But then what happened?
    "The Greek word moira (μοῖρα) literally means a part or portion, and by extension one's portion in life or destiny.
    They controlled the metaphorical thread of life of every mortal from birth to death."

    Wikipedia

  37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leomoon80 For This Useful Post:


  38. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by Leomoon80 View Post
    I couldn't find that reference, however, the Link does suggest that she told her sister how upset she was over the B.F. Yet the father says she doesn't think it would have played a role to upset her that much.

    Seems she WAS that upset, or so upset about something....that much seems clear (clear as mud?)

    IF she was "that" upset about something (and it does appear to be so), regardless of what the father thinks, then her mind wasn't operating clearly after that accident, kind of the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended) when she had that 2nd accident. "Seems" she was saying to herself, "that's enough".


    But then what happened?

    I noticed that in the early reporting that was done — about the mysterious phone call that Thursday night while Maura was working —*that Maura's sister had mentioned that although most of their phone discussion in that brief 20 minute window that night was about the older sister's relationship troubles ... that Maura and her boyfriend were having problems at the time as well.

    As the account of that Thursday night kept being told over the years, the part about the older sister stating that Maura and her boyfriend were having troubles, began to disappear.

  39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scoops For This Useful Post:


  40. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by xLiqoricex View Post
    I read in a news article that stated that one UMass friend of mauras has seemingly withheld information from the police because she didn't want to get Maura into trouble.

    http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ould_maura_be/

    Can anyone verify this?
    If it's true, then maybe this friend knows more about Mauras disappearance than anyone else.
    Maybe something went wrong at the party Maura attended before she crashed her car for the second time. I had a gut feeling about this before.
    Maura's family has spoken with this young woman, and I believe it was either a misunderstanding or something taken out of context. I don't know for sure what, but I do know that the family has spoken to her. (Sorry, it's late and I can't remember more than this at the moment.)

  41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jane Birch For This Useful Post:


  42. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    From Queens, New York
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Birch View Post
    Maura's family has spoken with this young woman, and I believe it was either a misunderstanding or something taken out of context. I don't know for sure what, but I do know that the family has spoken to her. (Sorry, it's late and I can't remember more than this at the moment.)
    Aah, ok. Thanks.
    My father was recently murdered. Dad, miss you and love you. May your killer be brought to justice.

  43. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    From Queens, New York
    Posts
    105
    I feel so useless to this case. Everything I learn is wrong or misconstrued. I hope this case gets solved.
    My father was recently murdered. Dad, miss you and love you. May your killer be brought to justice.

  44. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the currently soggy northeast
    Posts
    147
    OT a little but i just realized something coincidental....
    I have followed the cases of:

    1. Jodi Huisentruit
    2. Lauren Giddings
    3. Lauren Spierer
    4. Maura Murray
    5. Brittanee Drexel

    It seems all 5 of them have some serious movements/developments happening now...

    I wonder if there is something cosmically to explain that? (i SOO miss the forensic astrology forum)

  45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goodgirl65 For This Useful Post:


  46. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the currently soggy northeast
    Posts
    147
    A little more info on the Murray family dynamics....

    http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2011....html#comments

  47. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgirl65 View Post
    A little more info on the Murray family dynamics....

    http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2011....html#comments
    Okay, here's a possible destination (tucked into James' blog entry, but not emphasized):

    "Their favorite place to stay the night was at the Jigger Johnson Campground. Jigger Johnson is on Highway 112 (aka Wild Ammanoosuc Rd., about forty-five minutes East from where Maura's car was found). It's the only campsite in that area with showers and it is open year round for a small fee." (my bold)
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." -- Nietzsche

  48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gnomony For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 50 1234567891011 ... LastLast
 
 

Similar Threads

  1. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #9
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 1132
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 10:37 PM
  2. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #7
    By Cubby in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 861
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM
  3. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #6
    By Peabody in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 541
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
  4. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #2
    By CW in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 276
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:23 AM
  5. NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #1
    By Timex in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 01:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •