992 users online (189 members and 803 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 22 of 82 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast
    Mr. Renner did name his source just not the individual. I guess someone would have to ask him directly if they want to know the officers name. I do not know anything about MBC so I can not speak about her. I will say that if you want to find out the truth about anything the best way to find out is to ask a witness directly to their face. Even then in some cases you may not get the correct answer. I'll tell you this and this is just me, if I wanted to find out what was found in Maura's car I would drive to Haverhill and go straight to the police station and ask to see the report. ANYTHING!!! other than that is guess work and heresay.

And that brings us to the crux of this troubling case: try doing just that (going to Haverhill PD and asking for information) and see what happens. Fred, her very own father, had to SUE them to get any information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Birch View Post
    And that brings us to the crux of this troubling case: try doing just that (going to Haverhill PD and asking for information) and see what happens. Fred, her very own father, had to SUE them to get any information.
    You get more flies with honey. I'm in sales for a living and one thing I've learned it's all about how you go about getting the info you want. I've gotten info that I NEVER should have gotten for the most part because I was nice. People love to talk, but not when they feel like they are being forced.

If my daughter was missing, and LE wouldn't tell me anything, I probably wouldn't be nice. The whole case started off wrong; LE never called Fred to report the wrecked car, although he was the owner of record and the driver had disappeared. That was a major mistake and by the time Fred got up to NH, Maura's "first 48" hours (that fabled time span in which missing cases are most likely to be solved) was pretty much gone. Then Scarinza either makes a mistake about the note in the room at UMass or spins the note to support suicide (take your pick, who knows?). Then there are the puzzling anomalies in the accident report (e.g., marking drinking as a factor when the police officer never saw Maura, indicating the car hit the trees when it clearly didn't, etc. So it is not surprising that the parent/famiy of the missing woman isn't a big fan of LE involved in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
    If my daughter was missing, and LE wouldn't tell me anything, I probably wouldn't be nice. The whole case started off wrong; LE never called Fred to report the wrecked car, although he was the owner of record and the driver had disappeared. That was a major mistake and by the time Fred got up to NH, Maura's "first 48" hours (that fabled time span in which missing cases are most likely to be solved) was pretty much gone. Then Scarinza either makes a mistake about the note in the room at UMass or spins the note to support suicide (take your pick, who knows?). Then there are the puzzling anomalies in the accident report (e.g., marking drinking as a factor when the police officer never saw Maura, indicating the car hit the trees when it clearly didn't, etc. So it is not surprising that the parent/famiy of the missing woman isn't a big fan of LE involved in the case.
    there is no "first 48 hours" rule with this case. The police handled the first 48 appropriately. They were not working a homicide, merely an abandoned car left by someone who left signs that they had been drinking (that kind of thing happens all the time)

and once again, I fail to see how Lt. Scarinza "made a mistake" about a note.
    A -- He is either making up the note (which I highly doubt since Billy was in the room the same time they did a search)

B--- He is not wrong about the author of the note being Billy. He safely stated that Maura left a personal note for her boyfriend. That is a very distinct difference than saying Maura wrote a note to her boyfriend.
    As James uncovered in his blog, she printed out an old email from her boyfriend that highlighted his infidelity in their relationship and left it out in the open on top of her packed boxes. That would definitely qualify as Maura leaving a personal note for her boyfriend and is not misleading at all, maybe vague, but that is how police will be when making statements to the public.

Far from the maddening crowd at the back of beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by telemag View Post
    You get more flies with honey. I'm in sales for a living and one thing I've learned it's all about how you go about getting the info you want. I've gotten info that I NEVER should have gotten for the most part because I was nice. People love to talk, but not when they feel like they are being forced.
    BBM

I am not in sales nor have I ever been, but I couldn't agree more about "getting the info" whether I want it or not: I am a listener (although some who know me may say I'm a talker too), I have good eye contact, and it seems I appear interested in what the person who is doing the talking has to say--whether I am or not. This has been true in my experience whether we're discussing a metropolis such as Chicago or a village in northern New England.

Thank you for reminding me of what my late mother used to say about flies and honey!

If anyone is showing some deception or making spin, it would have to be Billy Rausch.

Because if the LT. was flat lying and there was no note, Billy could easily call the police out on that since he was present when Maura's room was searched.

Instead, Billy and his mother have come out and said there was no NEW note found.

Very misleading on their part because they know exactly what the police are referring to yet they want to try and down-play it as much as possible.

This would be a reason why police hold back info from family and friends. If the family and friends don't like what they are hearing, they can twist information around and not cooperate with authorities at a time (early stages) when cooperation is essential.

I wonder where those alcohol bottles are located? In custody of LE or did they give them to the family?

Quote Originally Posted by scoops View Post
    If anyone is showing some deception or making spin, it would have to be Billy Rausch.

Because if the LT. was flat lying and there was no note, Billy could easily call the police out on that since he was present when Maura's room was searched.

Instead, Billy and his mother have come out and said there was no NEW note found.

Very misleading on their part because they know exactly what the police are referring to yet they want to try and down-play it as much as possible.

This would be a reason why police hold back info from family and friends. If the family and friends don't like what they are hearing, they can twist information around and not cooperate with authorities at a time (early stages) when cooperation is essential.
    And taking it one step further.

If police and investigators had it all to do over again, I bet dollars to donuts they would not allow Billy or any family member in when they searched Maura's dorm room.

At the time, they probably thought it was a great idea to have someone who knows maura well going through her room because that person could find significance in items that the investigators might not think about because that person (Billy) knows Maura well.

But when there is a note found and the police (keep the contents private) but let the public know about it yet on the other hand billy and his mother down-play it and try to dismiss the note all together ... Where does that leave investigators. They now think this billy guy must have something to hide. And from that point on, why share any information with them, if you suspect they will try and mislead you when confronted.

Quote Originally Posted by scoops View Post

I'd have to disagree on this. Billy and Sharon have said from the get-go that there was no note to Billy from Maura, and that instead what there was, was an old note to Maura from Billy. They don't think it has any bearing whatsoever on her disappearance. So for them, there's nothing to spin.

Sharon DID call the police out on this when she read the press release/heard the press conference, and was assured that the correct information would be disseminated. No such retraction of incorrect information was ever issued (thus, the fact that we're still having to talk about this seven and a half years later). If attempting to get correct information out to the public and correcting things the police got wrong is considered "not cooperating with them" well then there's pretty much nothing else to say.

Wonder if they have ever done a DNA test on the coke bottle with the alchohol in it to verify it was Maura's?

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Birch View Post
    I'd have to disagree on this. Billy and Sharon have said from the get-go that there was no note to Billy from Maura, and that instead what there was, was an old note to Maura from Billy. They don't think it has any bearing whatsoever on her disappearance. So for them, there's nothing to spin.

Sharon DID call the police out on this when she read the press release/heard the press conference, and was assured that the correct information would be disseminated. No such retraction of incorrect information was ever issued (thus, the fact that we're still having to talk about this seven and a half years later). If attempting to get correct information out to the public and correcting things the police got wrong is considered "not cooperating with them" well then there's pretty much nothing else to say.
    Are you friends with the family? You seem to know alot of details. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by flightlevel View Post
    Wonder if they have ever done a DNA test on the coke bottle with the alchohol in it to verify it was Maura's?
    Welcome Fightlevel!!

I don't know if they did a DNA test on the bottle, but I tend to doubt it. I think LE was pretty convinced it was Maura who drove that car, because of the witness (bus driver). Although, I'd like to know what happened to the bottle and if it was tossed out. I especially would like to know where the bottles of alcohol went. If LE has them, we know Maura didn't take them.

Reply to pittsburghgirl

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
    Here is where I come down on this. Renner rightly says that things get misreported; then (and this is me speaking) those misreported statements make it to blogs and Wikipedia and that statement becomes a "Fact," even though it isn't true.

Now, the reporting that Conway did in a newspaper, under the supervision of an editor, has not been contradicted or corrected in or by a mainstream news source. In either case, we do not know who the source was, what indvidual from LE. Until Renner provides a source more specific than "Haverhill PD," this is all still in question for me. His reporting is considerably further down the road than the work done in the Whitman-Hanson reports, which have been widely circulated. Any reporter can be wrong, but I put more trust in a major investigative series than a blog written by a guy who has just started to look at the case. Meanwhile, I am going back to the police report to see if that clears up the issue.

Peabody, do you know which of these accounts of the liquor is true?

Pittsburgh girl, I KNOW for certain that the HPD TOLD the Murrays and the Rausches that the liquor was missing. I also know they never thought it logical to put glass bottles in a backpack. They do not know whih account is factual.

On another subject, while I understand accusatory and blaming remarks about Maura's family and the Rausches, I am becoming quite angry at reading them. I KNOW they have ALWAYS relayed accurately what the police told them and pointed out the particular items that they knew to be false.

Do you really believe that Fred, Billy and his mother came up with talking points to deceive the public? People should try to understand that Maura's missing is as much a mystery to her family and others who love her as it is to all of you trying to solve the mystery!

My decision to NOT CONTINUE to be an active poster is the result of being called a liar as well as the family and boyfriend being called a liar by those who speculate. Stating a theory is totally different than saying someone is lying to cover-up.

Billy Rausch once said that any of us could start with taking the few known facts and then begin to speculate. He said because we do not know what happened, there would be no end to the speculation. I agree.

I am hoping that Renner's investigation will solve Maura's missing. Perhaps some of you will believe me when I assure you that he has posted much misinformation (call it a lie if you will) on his blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    Pittsburgh girl, I KNOW for certain that the HPD TOLD the Murrays and the Rausches that the liquor was missing. .
    How do you know this?

Page 22 of 82 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast