Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Casey face probation?

So, probation served while locked in a jail cell, and jail time being served outside....alrighty then!

I am completely disillusioned with the American justice system. Yes, mistakes can happen, and things do not always go the way they should, but up until now I always respected our justice system.

No more.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to krkrjx For This Useful Post:

What I don't like about all this probation stuff is that it is just getting more news coverage for her and her DT .. just starting the circus up again. In the end, I think she willl just get lots more media coverage... then she will get out of it like she does everything else.. or get to secretly serve her probation.... "for her protection"

I never thought this case would end with everyone just hanging onto the hope that she will have to serve a piddly probation... what a looong way from the death sentence or lwop....just so sad.

I'm seeing so many conflicting reports... Am I correct in that there's been NO ruling from HHJP as of yet?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MvD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MvD View Post
    I'm seeing so many conflicting reports... Am I correct in that there's been NO ruling from HHJP as of yet?
    yes! no ruling yet

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenniek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pjmale View Post
    I'm wondering if ICA was of a different race would she have been treated
    the same? Seems they have bent over backwards( the court) to protect her.
    I also wonder how much HHJP's friendship with CM may have affected this case.
    I wonder that too. CM got away with some absolutely bizarre behavior/threats, etc. and Perry seemed amused by it. Sad.
    Justice for GEORGE!

9. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Horace Finklestein For This Useful Post:

Apparently no update as promised by DOC?

Most of the local news organizations are reporting that they "expect" a stay, "according to sources close to the investigation". The Sentinel's reporting is somewhat different...

Casey Anthony must report to probation office Thursday, DOC officials say
    Department of Corrections spokeswoman: We're prepared to follow court's order

At least one news organization has reported that Judge Belvin Perry has issued a stay on Strickland's amended order, meaning Casey Anthony would not have to show up for probation.

However, DOC spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger said she has no word of a stay. Corrections officials still expect Casey Anthony to report between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. Thursday.

"Until we're notified by the court, we're moving forward," Plessinger said, adding that the intake process can start as early as 7 a.m.

More at link

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7116767.story

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Searchfortruth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by What'sThatClue View Post
    I believe there was a press conference at 3:00 PM EDT. I didn't see it though.
    Pekingese "Best Of Show" 2012

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patty G For This Useful Post:

Raw footage of this morning's press conference OCDOC.
    http://www.wftv.com/video/28753891/index.html

about 2 minutes in...

OC DOC spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger : "It’s not uncommon for offenders to spend at least part of their probation in jail."

Reporter questions her on this…Something to the effect that for most of us, we understand probation as something that is completed outside of jail. He asks her to explain how those two things could happen simultaneously?

She replies:
    “ We have offenders who come on to probation, then get arrested. If they’re arrested …just because they are charged does not mean they are convicted. If the offender is jailed during what would have been probation time, and then new charges are dropped, or they do not get a conviction, then generally their probation will count during the jail time.”

It appears that this example is for a case where a person is on the outside on probation, and gets arrested for a new charge, someone who has served time, been out on parole, tried to make it in the world. The person is then charged of a new crime and jailed; therefore, this parolee is not able to work or complete other duties of probation. Someone may have wrongly accused that person knowing that person was on parole.

My understanding is that since the person was not convicted on the new crime, allowing that person that probation time served gives that person the benefit of the doubt of not violating the probation taking place on the outside.

IMO this example she cited is a different circumstance from KC. Gretl's example makes sense to me. The parole time served in jail time for a dropped charge makes more sense to me. I think that would be fair in that case.

IMO The difference here is that Casey was not outside making good on her checks, supporting herself, making a good attempt at being a parolee or productive citizen, and then wrongly accused of murder.

Maybe I am not thinking clearly...I am tired today

Regardless ....whether or not one can serve probation in jail is not the issue...the sentence was for her to serve one year after release from jail. It was only made unclear as she was up for a murder trial after the check charges. The judge showed no bias by stating that if she is acquitted, she would serve that probation when she was released from jail. That makes sense...to me anyway.
    Last edited by Prof; 08-03-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: pronoun confusion edit

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by krkrjx View Post
    So, probation served while locked in a jail cell, and jail time being served outside....alrighty then!

I am completely disillusioned with the American justice system. Yes, mistakes can happen, and things do not always go the way they should, but up until now I always respected our justice system.

No more.
    Me too. OJ, the Ramseys, a bunch of local cases (goin' both ways), and on and on. Now this. I don't thing we (as a country) are going to heck in a hand basket, I think we've gone and are already there! The KC verdict is so devoid of anything right or just or true. The scales of justice are no longer balanced. It's very frustrating and sad.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yolorado For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
    I'm guessing they have to make arrangements for a place for KC to live. CA and GA may not want her at their home at this time. The stay may have been issued because KC has to have a permanent address before she can move back. It's not like she can move in anywhere and get a job. JB did say this morning they were trying to work things out. So this could be a reason. Can't blame the A's for being reluctant. jmo
    Can't she stay with <mod snip> Mason or her <mod snip> Baez? I'm sure his wife would welcome the help with their new baby.....
    Last edited by grandmaj; 08-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Murphismo For This Useful Post:

OK let's say she was "on probation" in jail. She was found guilty of lying to LE. Does that violate her probation or was it "over" at that point?

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zpz1 For This Useful Post:

Her probation is going to be at arm's-lenth. There is too much of a circus atmosphere in Orlando - Perry won't allow it. IMO

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by What'sThatClue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty G View Post
    I believe there was a press conference at 3:00 PM EDT. I didn't see it though.
    The update was there is no update. The attorneys are cooperating. DOC has not heard from the judge re: a stay, and unless there is one they expect her by 10 tomorrow.
    My Twitter handle is @Lovemypupper . I had to change it due to rabid Kate Gosselin fans. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Raw footage of this morning's press conference OCDOC.
    http://www.wftv.com/video/28753891/index.html

OC DOC: "It’s not uncommon for offenders to spend at least part of their probation in jail."

Reporter questions her on this…Something to the effect that for most of us, we understand probation as something that is completed outside of jail. He asks her to explain how those two things could happen simultaneously?

She replies:
    “ We have offenders who come on to probation, then get arrested. If they’re arrested …just because they are charged does not mean they are convicted. If the offender is jailed during what would have been probation time, and then new charges are dropped, or they do not get a conviction, then generally their probation will count during the jail time.”

It appears that this example is for a case where a person is on the outside on probation, and gets arrested for a new charge, someone who has served time, been out on parole, tried to make it in the world. The person is then charged of a new crime and jailed; therefore, this parolee is not able to work or complete other duties of probation. Someone may have wrongly accused that person knowing that person was on parole.

My understanding is that since the person was not convicted on the new crime, allowing that person that probation time served gives that person the benefit of the doubt of not violating the probation taking place on the outside.

IMO this example she cited is a different circumstance from KC. Her example makes sense to me. The parole time served in jail time for a dropped charge makes more sense to me. I think that would be fair in that case.

IMO The difference here is that Casey was not outside making good on her checks, supporting herself, making a good attempt at being a parolee or productive citizen, and then wrongly accused of murder.

Maybe I am not thinking clearly...I am tired today

Regardless ....whether or not one can serve probation in jail is not the issue...the sentence was for her to serve one year after release from jail. It was only made unclear as she was up for a murder trial after the check charges. The judge showed no bias by stating that if she is acquitted, she would serve that probation when she was released from jail. That makes sense...to me anyway.
    BINGO! You nailed it exactly as it was intended. Thanks so much.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to badme102 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jenniek View Post
    yes! no ruling yet
    No "official ruling" yet. It is expected that HHJP will issue a stay at some point this afternoon. It is then expected that an "emergency hearing" will be held on Friday morning. At that point she may be remanded to probation and with that expected to return to Orlando OR some other city.
    OR, and this is what I expect,...she could be freed to go out and be the thing she is.
    MOO and based solely on what I have read at WFTV, Orlando Sentinal and WESH.
    Hoping that this is helpful.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drama Queen For This Useful Post:

When the option, of Casey serving probation in jail, was brought up, (during the check fraud sentencing hearing) Judge Strickland told the state to submit a motion on the proposal. Problem is, no motion was ever produced by the state. This, at least, is the way I understand it.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Searchfortruth For This Useful Post:

@OSCaseyAnthony
    Casey Anthony News
    Perry says #caseyanthony doesn't have to report to probation. Sets hearing for 9 a.m. Fri. Casey won't be there. Story to post soon

@bobkealing
    bob kealing
    #perry spokeswoman just sent out stay of #CaseyAnthony probation order. Also does confirm Friday am hearing on issue.
    Last edited by grandmaj; 08-03-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    My Twitter handle is @Lovemypupper . I had to change it due to rabid Kate Gosselin fans. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:

so....F. George will be there on friday for Caylee....prayers for FG.......
    "God's sense of justice is much better than our own"- My Dear Darlene

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to camcneishg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    Her probation is going to be at arm's-lenth. There is too much of a circus atmosphere in Orlando - Perry won't allow it. IMO
    That is if she can find a DOC who will take her in...

Why does it seem to me that there is so much responsibility shirking on all sides of this case? Is it catching?

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

From this article: "Plessinger also confirmed Casey was visited by a probation officer once during the year she spent on probation in the Orange County Jail. Other contacts to verify she remained in jail were done through reporting checks by phone.

So, they didn't meet with her on a monthly basis, so did she pay her $20.00 a month for 12 months? Did she get a job? Don't know about the payments but certainly the answer to the last question is NO.

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to badme102 For This Useful Post:

Friday morning then...well, the ball is definitely in Judge Perry's court ! We'll see what he does with it.

44. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Searchfortruth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    @OSCaseyAnthony
    Casey Anthony News
    Perry says #caseyanthony doesn't have to report to probation. Sets hearing for 9 a.m. Fri. Casey won't be there. Story to post soon

@bobkealing
    bob kealing
    #perry spokeswoman just sent out stay of #CaseyAnthony probation order. Also does confirm Friday am hearing on issue.

So once again ... CFCA and her DT get their way !

I just don't know how much MORE I can't take of this bunch !

MOO ... and I am also DISGUSTED with Judge Perry ... and if he "lets" her off of the probation ... I will TAKE BACK EVERY SINGLE GOOD WORD I stated about him !

46. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dog.gone.cute For This Useful Post:

Finally on the Clerk of Courts website:

http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/Cas...CaseID=6214545

08/03/2011 Order
    Staying Amended Order of Probation

48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to What'sThatClue For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast