1293 users online (230 members and 1063 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856

    LA - St James Parish, WhtMale 500UMLA, 19-28, in river, yellow hard hat, May'87

    The Doe Network:
    Case File 500UMLA
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/500umla.html
    NamUs UP Case 851 https://identifyus.org/cases/851


    Reconstruction of Victim by Gigi A. Waite

    Unidentified White Male

    The victim was discovered in May 7, 1987 in the Mississippi River in St. James Parish, Louisiana.
    Estimated Date of Death: 2-5 weeks prior.

    Vital Statistics

    Estimated age: 19-28 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"- 5'8"
    Clothing: A yellow hard-hat, A pair of size 9 or 9-1/2 sneakers (white with blue stripes), one white athletic sock, a pair of Levi's brand blue jeans, and Fruit of the Loom brand, size 30-32, underwear.
    Dentals: Tooth #1 not seen, may be antemortem loss or congenital absence. Amalgam fillings noted on #3,14,19 and 20. Unfilled caries noted on #14 and #15. Postmortem breakage noted on #6 and #7.
    DNA: Available in FBI NMPDD.

    Case History
    The victim was found washed up along in the Mississippi River in Louisiana in May 7, 1987.

    The remains were transported to LSU after an autopsy on May 9, 1987.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-08-2013 at 03:11 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    How about this one?

    Another recently added photo to a previously no-photo NamUs casefile.
    Jimmy Dale Whitfield
    https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9296/28



    * There is a very strong similarity in facial structure.
    * His DLC is two months prior to discovery. The UID's postmortem interval was estimated to be about 2-5 weeks.
    * His height (5'7") is spot-on to the NamUs estimate.
    * His age (29) is just above the upper limit (19-28)
    * He has distinctively crooked upper incisors. But the UID was missing 8&9 postmortem.
    * I'm not sure what he was doing wearing a hard-hat in the Mississippi River (i.e., about 630 miles from his LKA).

    ETA: I just kicked off an e-mail to Helen Bouzon.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-09-2012 at 11:53 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    ETA: I just kicked off an e-mail to Helen Bouzon.
    Helen Replied:

    There are no dental records available for Jimmy. The teeth that appear crooked in the picture are not present in the skeleton and thus cannot be compared visually. No DNA has been submitted for Jimmy either. Without any of those, we cannot complete a comparison.
    I forwarded the e-mail thread to Todd Matthews to see if perhaps he can nudge the authorities in SC to obtain some identifiers on Jimmy Whitfield.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    Todd says a DNA inquiry is currently underway, and he will make sure a manual comparison is performed when the FRS kits are processed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    320
    Link to UID's LSU entry for completeness:
    Louisiana Repository for Missing & Unidentified People: Case #04-23
    http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=385

    Ernie Earls (probably Earnie Earls) disappeared from Clay County, Arkansas on or around April 3, 1987:

    Ernie / Earnie Earls - NamUs MP # 11230
    https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/11230/

    [His name is spelled "Earnie" in a relative's obituary, and there are records of an Earnest Lonnie Earls in Knobel, Arkansas. On the other hand, in the Social Security Death Index there's an Ernest L. Earls of Arkansas, born 17 July 1963 not the 1965 or 1966 of the NamUs entry death recorded as 15 June 1987. Take your pick.]

    Mr. Earls' height is short by 3 to 5 inches, but given that he wasn't reported missing until 6 years after his disappearance and that his recorded age may not be correct, the height/weight estimate could be from his mother's memory, from a driver's license he got as a teenager, from anywhere.

    Clay County itself is about an hour's drive from the Mississippi River (http://goo.gl/maps/K3cn). On message boards, I found a few sparsely-stated claims that people in the county who know his rumored killer believe that Mr. Earls' body was dumped or hidden, possibly in/at a river. Take that with a huge grain of salt, because it's decades-old small-town innuendo.

    The age and hair color are compatible. If the date of Earnie Earls' disappearance is accurate, the postmortem interval for the UID is good: one month vs. 2-5 weeks. I find other cases of bodies having been carried downstream from Memphis well into Louisiana in the same amount of time, so the distance is plausible too.

    It's not entirely impossible that he could have reappeared downstream as the John Doe on the Mississippi River in St. James Parish, Louisiana. But his NamUs profile is thin, and identification would probably require that law enforcement be interested in collecting DNA from his relatives.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by zinc View Post
    Link to UID's LSU entry for completeness:
    Louisiana Repository for Missing & Unidentified People: Case #04-23
    http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=385

    Ernie Earls (probably Earnie Earls) disappeared from Clay County, Arkansas on or around April 3, 1987:

    Ernie / Earnie Earls - NamUs MP # 11230
    https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/11230/

    [His name is spelled "Earnie" in a relative's obituary, and there are records of an Earnest Lonnie Earls in Knobel, Arkansas. On the other hand, in the Social Security Death Index there's an Ernest L. Earls of Arkansas, born 17 July 1963 not the 1965 or 1966 of the NamUs entry death recorded as 15 June 1987. Take your pick.]

    Mr. Earls' height is short by 3 to 5 inches, but given that he wasn't reported missing until 6 years after his disappearance and that his recorded age may not be correct, the height/weight estimate could be from his mother's memory, from a driver's license he got as a teenager, from anywhere.

    Clay County itself is about an hour's drive from the Mississippi River (http://goo.gl/maps/K3cn). On message boards, I found a few sparsely-stated claims that people in the county who know his rumored killer believe that Mr. Earls' body was dumped or hidden, possibly in/at a river. Take that with a huge grain of salt, because it's decades-old small-town innuendo.

    The age and hair color are compatible. If the date of Earnie Earls' disappearance is accurate, the postmortem interval for the UID is good: one month vs. 2-5 weeks. I find other cases of bodies having been carried downstream from Memphis well into Louisiana in the same amount of time, so the distance is plausible too.

    It's not entirely impossible that he could have reappeared downstream as the John Doe on the Mississippi River in St. James Parish, Louisiana. But his NamUs profile is thin, and identification would probably require that law enforcement be interested in collecting DNA from his relatives.
    Has this ever been submitted?

    DNA is available for Ernie Earls. The regional administrator is Michael Nance for both UID and Ernie Earls. It is worth sending an email to check for a match.

    If not I can do it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytes View Post
    Has this ever been submitted?

    DNA is available for Ernie Earls. The regional administrator is Michael Nance for both UID and Ernie Earls. It is worth sending an email to check for a match.

    If not I can do it.
    I submitted the match of this UID and Ernie Earls to the Doe Network.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    688
    Any change of trying to match skull with photographic inposition of Missing persons?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    297
    This will add nothing in terms of specifics, but I was working in Burnside, La. in 1986...and a worker at the terminal to the left of our plant had a person fall through the catwalk over the Mississippi River...piece of missing grating...

    Have to think about how I'd research this...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,931
    So he was wearing 2 shoes but only 1 sock? Don't know that it means anything but it just seems odd...


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytes View Post
    I submitted the match of this UID and Ernie Earls to the Doe Network.
    Ernie Earls was ruled out. He was added to the exclusion list of NAMUS.

    https://identifyus.org/cases/851

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    586
    Exclusions
    The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
    First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
    Steve Arrowood 1956 North Carolina
    Ernie Earls 1965 Arkansas
    Jimmy Whitfield 1957 South Carolina

    Newer image-
    851.jpg

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucarra View Post
    This will add nothing in terms of specifics, but I was working in Burnside, La. in 1986...and a worker at the terminal to the left of our plant had a person fall through the catwalk over the Mississippi River...piece of missing grating...

    Have to think about how I'd research this...
    An accident like this would explain why he's wearing a hard hat.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)



Similar Threads

  1. Identified! LA - Natchitoches Parish, WhtMale UP10260, 30-49, Dec'11 - Name not found
    By CarlK90245 in forum Identified!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 03:54 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 10:48 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
  5. Hannah Griffith (14) - Red River Parish LA, 2008
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 12:06 AM

Tags for this Thread