Eating McDonalds makes you fat!

Shanny

Reaction score
In the interview with Peter Boyles and Linda Wilcox she said that she was going to take the kids out for some food and she knew that JonBenet loved McDonalds so she asked her did she want to go and JonBenet looked at her stone cold and said "Eating McDonalds makes you fat!" What would make a 6 year old child say that? Especially a child who loved McDonalds? What did she know about what foods made her fat and what foods didnt? I know on the show 'Toddlers and Tiaras' they have those kids drinking pop with caffeine in it, eating Pixie sticks to stay awake and going as far as giving them Botox injections and fake tan sprays. It wouldnt be surprising if Patsy had JonBenet on a diet.

In the interview with Peter Boyles and Linda Wilcox she said that she was going to take the kids out for some food and she knew that JonBenet loved McDonalds so she asked her did she want to go and JonBenet looked at her stone cold and said "Eating McDonalds makes you fat!" What would make a 6 year old child say that? Especially a child who loved McDonalds? What did she know about what foods made her fat and what foods didnt? I know on the show 'Toddlers and Tiaras' they have those kids drinking pop with caffeine in it, eating Pixie sticks to stay awake and going as far as giving them Botox injections and fake tan sprays. It wouldnt be surprising if Patsy had JonBenet on a diet.

I taught my own child from a toddler on up that fast food was unhealthy and taught how to eat healthy. McDonalds is CRAP. I see more wrong with allowing a child to believe it's healthy than a mom telling her child it makes people fat. I told my own, it's okay every once in awhile when we're desparate & on the road. as long as it's a very rare occurance.

Sorry, I lurk on these threads here and there, but I am also in the camp that would warn their kids about fast food. It's not about making them self conscious, but about emphasizing that food is fuel for your body, and treats (ala McDonalds) are to be consumed in moderation. I'n not anti McDonalds, just pro moderation and knowledge. I don't think I would flat out say "it makes you fat," but I would make sure she knew the distinction between treats and a healthy diet. For all we know, Jon Benet could have heard it not from Patsy, but one of her beauty pageant friends, whose parents passed it on to them. Just a thought:)

FWIW, I work for a grant funded organization and some of the staff are required to teach about healthy choices and now to read nutritional info/make healthy choices to kids as young as five and six. They also teach the dangers of an unhealthy diet.

That said, I think it is totally possible that a child in the beauty pageant circuit had a stage mom who put them on a "diet." I don't condone it for the sake of making the child physically "attractive" or causing them to feel self conscious, but I see no harm in keeping your child on a healthy diet and encouraging vegetables, physical activity, unprocessed foods, etc. Provided the motives are right, I think it is great. I just think teaching moderation is great too...treats once in a while are fun, and can help kids understand balance:)

In the interview with Peter Boyles and Linda Wilcox she said that she was going to take the kids out for some food and she knew that JonBenet loved McDonalds so she asked her did she want to go and JonBenet looked at her stone cold and said "Eating McDonalds makes you fat!" What would make a 6 year old child say that? Especially a child who loved McDonalds? What did she know about what foods made her fat.

She knew whatever her mother taught her. What would make a 6-year old say that? Her mother. Not that I disagree with the premise. But I used to tell my own daughter that it wasn't food that should be eaten a lot because too much of it wasn't good for us. That goes for adults too, and I happen to love it. But it's few and far between for me. (I'd rather White Castle burgers anyway).
Patsy's emphasis, as always, was on the way JB looked. To be "fat" was a horrible thing to her, I suppose, so that is what she focused on, not the "unhealthiness" of the food.
I have to say that the kids' menu options have improved over the years. They have long offered milk instead of soda, and now offer sliced apples instead of fries. I don't know what was available in 1996, but back in the '70s, there were no healthier choices there. I used to have my daughter eat the burger without the bun and she never got the fries.

In the big picture, this is a non-issue as to who killed JonBenet. Even if Patsy made comments such as "McD's makes you fat" to JB, does any rational person see that as connected to Patsy killing her?

FWIW, I believe Patsy DID do it, in a heated moment after bed wetting or JB smarting off -- but as a woman who lived though and overcame a life threatening eating disorder, it pains me to see a syllogistic link like this. My own (naturally skinny) mom made similarly hurtful comments about my weight and I cannot fathom a link between her uneducated remarks & me dying at her hand. Just my take, for what it's worth....

Patsy's remarks about McDonald's aren't meant as an indication she killed JB. They are meant to show just how seriously she took JB's appearance. Emphasizing that fast food makes you "fat" rather than fast food is unhealthy. Patsy died a little CHILD's hair- and had her eyes made blue in photos (as if her own pretty green eyes were not pretty ENOUGH). Because according to her, green eyes and light brown hair are just not as GOOD (or marketable) enough as blonde hair and blue eyes. JB was a naturally very pretty child. Sad, really.
Patsy's friends had noticed the disturbing trend Patsy was exhibiting as far as JB was concerned. They called it "this Mega-JonBenet thing" and were planning an "intervention" with Patsy before the murder.

I always wonder what the kids on the "Toddlers & Tiaras" show will think as they grow up and maybe are not so pretty anymore. For many of them, heredity will be their destiny. They are too little now to worry that their own hair and looks are not pretty enough. The hair extensions alone are enough to make me sick. Add in the flippers (false teeth for kids who have lost their 2 front teeth) and the adult make up and the photoshopped publicity photos- the little girls who appear in the pageant booklets look VERY different from the little girls on an average school day.
It is as if their natural childhood beauty just isn't good enough.

I have to add it was clear from the photos that Patsy had JB, a little baby girl, slim down. She went from normal little girl cute body size, to slimmer, sleek, and she was only 6.

Or she could have undergone a growth spurt. My grandsons, bulk up a tiny bit, right before they grow. They are a healthy weight at all times, but look skinny right after a growth spurt.

The fact that she dyed JonBenet's hair was bad enough....But wasn't 'Blonde' also the only description Patsy gave in the initial 911 call, other than her age? IIRC, she said ...'a little Blonde...', and I felt a tinge of pride in Patsy's voice. Her perfect blonde child.
It just felt weird to me, but of course, that whole call gets my radar going anyway. I guess it only bothered me b/c JonBenet hadn't been blonde all that long.....and her mother was so much about appearances....ugh.

I think she mentioned "she's blonde" more than once, too.

Thank you DeeDee249. I didnt make this thread to bash Patsy or say who I think killed JonBenet. I was just wondering was JonBenet's looks, pageants and staying thin THAT important to where she had to give up her favorite food to stay slim? JonBenet's mother probably did tell her that eating McDonalds can make you fat but thats a little extreme. I can understand if Patsy told JonBenet "Now I know you love McDonalds but eating too much MdDonalds or eating it everyday can make you fat" but having McDonalds as a treat every once in a while will not make you fat. I cant remember which book I read it from but it said that Patsy use to make JonBenet drink alot of water everyday because it was "good for her skin." What 6 year old cares about her skin? That maybe the reason why JonBenet wet the bed from Patsy having her drink alot of water.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back