Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MI - Mariha Trenice Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011 - #2 *ARREST*

MI - Mariha Trenice Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011 - #2 *ARREST*

Please continue here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145563"]Thread #1[/ame]
    Last edited by Salem; 10-21-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Sources tell FOX 2 the man arrested in connection with Mariha's death is the boyfriend of the little girl's aunt, 20-year-old Darnell Cheatham.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110805-wpms

I didn't realize DC was only 20. Not even old enough to drink legally yet.

How old is aunt QS, does anyone know?
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

The updated article indicates that family members did indeed tell LE that the man in the gas station video was Darnell Cheatham right away. Maybe LE had some strategy in claiming they had no idea and continuing to ask for the public's help in identifying the man (let him get comfortable and slip up, pressure him into needing to retrieve evidence... guesses). Appears he might have hit the road after he and Quanita were released from questioning early on as the article says they "located" him and raided his house. I suspect it was no accident that it was done while the community was focused on the lovely funeral...

Also appears Quanita is still on the run and held equally responsible by family and friends, at least according to those interviewed for the article below. No warrant out for her?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110805-wpms
    snipped:
    It wasn't until investigators released a video of a man buying 41 cents of gasoline two blocks from where Mariha's body was found did they start to get some answers. Family members recognized him.

"I knew there was a reason I didn't like him," said Dominique Poole, an aunt.

"When I (saw) it at the police station, I told them that was him," she responded.

On the same day family and friends said goodbye to the little girl, police located Cheatham and arrested him. Sources also tell FOX 2 they obtained a search warrant and raided his home.

The girlfriend, Quanita Smith, Mariha's aunt and her mother's own sister, hasn't been seen or heard from in days.

"Without her, none of this would've been possible," Gibbs said. "I don't know what to think. I just want to know why. What's the purpose? What was the reason for you to do that?"

"For her, all I got to say is I hope you rot in hell, really, both of (them)," said Poole.

BBM
    ---------------------------------------------
    P.s. Cubby, I was surprised that Darnell Cheatham is only 20 too. Was unable to find any confirmation of Quanita's age; she appeared much older in the televised interviews early on imo...
    My opinions only, with respect to all those whose opinions differ

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to yllek For This Useful Post:

A part of me can't help but wonder if Quanita is missing not because she is in hiding but because someone "took care" of her to keep her quiet..

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ela_ss teacher For This Useful Post:

Angry

I just want to know WHY this beautiful little girl with the sunshine in her smile was killed.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to teedie2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ela_ss teacher View Post
    A part of me can't help but wonder if Quanita is missing not because she is in hiding but because someone "took care" of her to keep her quiet..
    I was noodling on the same thing this morning.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ela_ss teacher View Post
    Interesting thought. If someone did "take care of her", the list of possible suspects is probably long. Known perp, possibly yet to be identified perp(s) and accomplice(s), victim's family members and friends... Lots of possible motives.

I think she's probably alive and will be a witness against at least Darnell, but wouldn't be too surprised if she has disappeared...

Anyone know if Quanita has children?
    Last edited by yllek; 08-07-2011 at 01:32 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yllek For This Useful Post:

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by yllek View Post
    Interesting thought. If someone did "take care of her", the list of possible suspects is probably long. Known perp, possibly yet to be identified perp(s) and accomplice(s), victim's family members and friends... Lots of possible motives.

I think she's probably alive and will be a witness against at least Darnell, but wouldn't be too surprised if she has disappeared...

Anyone know if Quanita has children?
    Her FB states 3 children. Wonder who has them?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justanother For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by justanother View Post
    Her FB states 3 children. Wonder who has them?
    Thanks for finding the info about her children.. I wonder who has them as well.

If Quanita and the kids were all suddenly gone and no one claims to know where they're located, I'm more inclined to believe Quanita is in hiding with assistance. There doesn't appear to be a warrant out for her arrest and she was let go after failing a poly and being questioned. I think she soon after spilled the beans to the PD and gave up Darnell to save her butt. She will be a witness against him at trial imo.

If instead Q just up and split and the kids were left in Detroit with their father(s) or relatives, could be something more nefarious happened to keep her quiet or she just got the heck out of dodge. This is one unpopular lady...

Interested to see how this develops...

ETA: Gosh I hope Q's kids weren't abused DC and/or Q. So many victims...

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yllek For This Useful Post:

Are Q and DC on the run together?

I sure hope there is justice in this case, and soon.
    Just my opinions (and I have been wrong before)!

pinkfly

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I think DC was arrested pinkfly.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    I think DC was arrested pinkfly.
    Thanks....glad to hear that.
    Just my opinions (and I have been wrong before)!

pinkfly

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkfly View Post
    Thanks....glad to hear that.
    DC made first court appearance this morning. No video posted yet but reported on WDIV news at noon. www.clickondetroit.com

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Desk Cops Put On Street To Stop Rising Murder Rate

Slightly OT, but this article provides some background info on the rising crime rate in the Motor City.

Last Updated: August 08. 2011 1:00AM.

Detroit will put desk cops on street to stop rising murder rate

They'll be on patrol 8 hours a week, adding 40-50 more officers to each shift to target crime areas

George Hunter and Steve Pardo/ The Detroit News

Detroit— The Detroit Police Department is rolling out a program this week to move officers from behind desks onto the streets, as the city is on pace to log the highest per-capita murder rate in a decade.

Operation Inside Out: Night Angels requires officers assigned to desk jobs to put in eight hours on street patrols each week, Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee said.

"That will put an extra 40 to 50 officers on the street per shift," Godbee said. "We're going to saturate targeted problem areas, so we can have a strong police presence around these places: liquor stores, gas stations and other high-crime areas"...

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110808/...#ixzz1USGET9S3

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...tion-violation

Last Updated: August 08. 2011 12:32PM.

Suspect in Mariha's death jailed on probation violation

Josh Katzenstein and Doug Guthrie/ The Detroit News

Darnell Cheatham, 20, was ordered jailed for 45 days today for twice violating his probation for second-degree home invasion since April 6. Last week, he tested positive for marijuana during a urine test.

Not charged with Mariha's murder yet.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...tion-violation

Last Updated: August 08. 2011 12:32PM.

Suspect in Mariha's death jailed on probation violation

Josh Katzenstein and Doug Guthrie/ The Detroit News

Not charged with Mariha's murder yet.
    Prosecutor does consider DC a "suspect in a homicide".

I hope DC can't be released on bond because I'm sure he'll skip town if he has the opportunity. jmo

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Boyfriend of one of Mariha Smith's aunts held
    1:29 PM, Aug. 8, 2011

The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office said a warrant request is not expected today in the case of 5-year-old Mariha Smith, who was murdered last month.

Meanwhile, a Wayne County Circuit Court judge this morning ordered the boyfriend of one of Mariha’s aunts to be held in the county jail on a probation violation.

A spokesman for the Michigan Department of Corrections said Darnell Cheatham, 19, has been called a person of interest in Mariha’s case.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011080...h-s-aunts-held

more at link

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

byo, Kat

Nothing new reported on WDIV 4:00 news. Same info that was presented at noon about the court appearance of DC. I can't find anything about whether or not he can get out prior to serving the 45 days. I hope and pray that he will eventually be charged with Mariha's murder. I think Quanita is long-gone. She could be anywhere now, including Canada if she had appropriate ID.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

My niece's ex violated his probation and could not get out on bail - in WA state.
    I would guess no bond would be set for probation violation.
    I'm not an expert.

---------

Best Friends Animal Society

A better world through kindness to animals

[I]Please help BestFriends help us.

https://www.bestfriends.org/donate/index.cfm?

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiki For This Useful Post:

I hope they hold on to him tight. He is gone with the wind if they let him out on bond.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

38. The Following User Says Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I hope they hold on to him tight. He is gone with the wind if they let him out on bond.
    Sounds like that won't happen. WDIV 5:00 news with reporter near court house where DC made appearance this morning. Judge refused to let DC out "on tether".

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Man Arrested in Connection with Mariha Smith's Murder Faces Judge
    Probation Violation Sends Darnell Cheatham to Jail

Updated: Monday, 08 Aug 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
    Published : Monday, 08 Aug 2011, 5:57 PM EDT

"He's still getting high," said Judge Wade McCree. "But he's going to be clean when he comes back to see me because he's going to be across the street."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110808-wpms

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeanE View Post
    Man Arrested in Connection with Mariha Smith's Murder Faces Judge
    Probation Violation Sends Darnell Cheatham to Jail

Updated: Monday, 08 Aug 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
    Published : Monday, 08 Aug 2011, 5:57 PM EDT

"He's still getting high," said Judge Wade McCree. "But he's going to be clean when he comes back to see me because he's going to be across the street."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110808-wpms
    Thank Goodness. They need to keep him in custody. If they do then maybe Q will show up to testify. IF she is still alive.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

44. The Following User Says Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by yllek View Post
    Thanks for finding the info about her children.. I wonder who has them as well.

If Quanita and the kids were all suddenly gone and no one claims to know where they're located, I'm more inclined to believe Quanita is in hiding with assistance. There doesn't appear to be a warrant out for her arrest and she was let go after failing a poly and being questioned. I think she soon after spilled the beans to the PD and gave up Darnell to save her butt. She will be a witness against him at trial imo.

If instead Q just up and split and the kids were left in Detroit with their father(s) or relatives, could be something more nefarious happened to keep her quiet or she just got the heck out of dodge. This is one unpopular lady...

Interested to see how this develops...

ETA: Gosh I hope Q's kids weren't abused DC and/or Q. So many victims...
    I would not be surprised at all if Darnell says that he was just disposing of the body and that someone else killed her. Q may be on the run for her own butt.

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lonetraveler For This Useful Post:

Person Of Interest In Mariha Smith Case In Court

Investigators Search For Girl's Aunt

POSTED: Friday, August 5, 2011

UPDATED: 4:59 pm EDT August 8, 2011

DETROIT -- A man who Detroit police is calling a person of interest in the killing of 5-year-old Mariha Smith was in court Monday for an unrelated probation violation hearing.

Darnell Cheatham Jr., 19, was arrested Friday but has not been charged in connection with Mariha's death...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28784266/detail.html

48. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast