Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MI - Mariha Trenice Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011 - #2 *ARREST*

wow. wonder what LE's next steps will be
    "I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."~Leo Rosten

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." ~ Marcus Aurelius

A Vigil for Mariha
    September 30, 2011

The mother of 5 year old Mariha Smith is leading a march from where her daughter was found strangled and burnt to the home she was taken from over two months ago. Her murder is still unsolved.

http://www.tv20detroit.com/news/loca...130844753.html

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Another article on the upcoming vigil for Mariha's unsolved case.

Mariha's family will hold a candlelight vigil 3 p.m. Oct. 7, giving the family time to post fliers around the neighborhood, Smith said.
    The group will march from the house where she was found to the house from which she went missing on the 3800 block of Burlingame.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110928/...#ixzz1ZaV893Lj
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Bumping for Mariha. I thought at least one media outlet would have covered the vigil which was supposed to be held last friday, but I am not seeing any coverage.

We haven't forgotten you, Mariha. Still praying for the justice you so deserve.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Another vigil for Mariha:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011122...text|FRONTPAGE

A vigil is planned for 6 p.m. in honor of Mariha Smith, a 5-year-old whose body was found burned in an abandoned Detroit house in July after she disappeared from a nearby home.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:

So glad to see Mariha's name mentioned in MSM. Praying these vigils lead to more tips and answers to solve both Mariha and Bianca's cases.
    ~JMO~

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Family Wants Justice

Community event to be held in honor of Mariha Smith

Family wants justice one year after Mariha was found dead

Published On: Jul 15 2012 08:03:01 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 15 2012 09:35:14 AM EDT http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/C...p/-/index.html

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Smith's family is coping after the her body was found in a vacant home in Detroit last July. She had been raped, beaten and strangled. Then her body was burned in an attempt to hide the evidence.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/C...z/-/index.html

Raped? Why do I not recall previously seeing/reading she had been raped? Anyone else recall other MSM indicating Mariha had been raped or is the above article inaccurate?

...And if she was raped, wouldn't the aunt Q's bf's dna have been found even if she had been burnt? And is aunt Q still with this guy? Has he abused any of her children?

If it was DC who bought the 41 cents worth of gas, how has he not been charged with anything other than the probation violation?

Lot's of questions why the POI was jailed for a violation of probation (probation violation related to marijuana) and no movement has happened on this case since.

Detroit, what is happening? Please please please tell me Mariha has not been forgotten. This beautiful little girl deserves justice.
    Last edited by Cubby; 07-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    ~JMO~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Mariha has not been forgotten, not by her Daddy anyway. If only she had been given a chance to live with him.

Mariha being murdered the DAY the paternity results come in... that is one HUGE coincidence if you ask me.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ts-Detroit-dad

Curtis Miller Jr. had seen a photograph of the 5-year-old girl who was his spitting image, so when the results of a paternity test came back naming him as the father, he wasn't surprised.

But the same day Miller learned he had a daughter, July 24, 2011, the good news was overshadowed by a shocking development:
    The little girl he'd never met, Mariha Smith, was missing from her west-side home.

----------------------

Miller, a car detailer, said he first found out about Mariha in early July 2011, when a Friend of the Court employee delivered the news.
    "She showed me a picture and I knew right away it was my daughter, because she looked just like me," Miller said.
    "They told me I had to take a blood test to be 100 percent sure. So a week or two went by, and (the results) came back that she was my daughter.
    I was looking forward to seeing her, but then everything happened."

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:

This case is still unsolved, huh? No one held responsible for little Mariha's murder.
    ~JMO~

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:

Bumping for beautiful Mariha.. Wondering why there has been no justice for you baby girl.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to demetra For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Mother's boyfriend charged in assault, death of 5-year-old

Boyfriend of mother charged in 2011 assault, death of 5-year-old Mariha Smith

Charred body of Mariha Smith found in abandoned Detroit home July 24 2011

Author: Joanne Marie Hoopes, ClickOnDetroit.com writer

Published On: Oct 21 2013 01:04:27 PM EDT Updated On: Oct 21 2013 02:13:12 PM EDT

DETROIT -
    A suspect has been charged in the death of a missing Detroit girl whose body was found burned in a vacant house hours before her mother noticed her missing.

Monday Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy charged Darnell H. Cheatham, age 22, in connection to 5-year-old Mariah Smith's death. Cheatham is the boyfriend of Mariha's mother Konesha Smith...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/s...n/-/index.html

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/21...rl-found-with/

Fox News are saying he is the boyfriend of Mariha's aunt, not the mother.

It wasn't immediately known if Cheatham has a lawyer.

Prosecutors say Cheatham was the boyfriend of Mariah's aunt.
    Back in 2011 it was reported:
    Dominique Poole, the child's aunt, told ABCNews.com she thought her sister's boyfriend, Darnell Cheatham was acting suspicious the day the 5-year-old vanished.

"I knew it had to be someone that was at the house that did it," Poole said.

Another one of the child's aunts and her boyfriend were already questioned by police earlier in the investigation, according to Poole. Several relatives had expressed anger with the two, Quanita Smith and Darnell Cheatham, because they claim they were not being truthful with police and allegedly failed a lie detector test administered by police.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-pers...ry?id=14246402

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

October 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Man, 22, charged in the 2011 death of Detroit girl, 5

Oralandar Brand-Williams /The Detroit News

Detroit — A 22-year-old city man faces arraignment Monday in connection with the 2011 murder of his girlfriend’s 5-year-old girl niece. The girl’s body was found in a burned-out vacant home on Detroit’s west side.

Darnell H. Cheatham been charged by Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy Monday in the July 2011 death of Mariah Smith. He faces formal arraignment Monday afternoon on the charges.

Cheatham has been charged with first-degree murder, felony murder, arson, torture, child abuse and disinterment and mutilation of a dead body...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2iNmh3H3a

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MsFacetious For This Useful Post:

I am sooo very happy someone has finally been arrested in this case.
    RIP beautiful... Your justice is coming !!!!!
    Just my, no one elses

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~greeneyedgirl~ For This Useful Post:

So pleased that the police have charged him, hopefully they will have a load of evidence to ensure he is found guilty. Does Michigan have the death penalty?

I'm first reading about this arrest now. the second have of 2013 was incredibly busy... glad to have time to start catching up again.

Aunt says boyfriend was in bed with girl, 5, before she was found sexually assaulted, burned

http://www.freep.com/article/2013111...ssault-Detroit

She was in the bed with him while he was sexually assaulting her 5 year old neice on the other side of the bed.

much more at above article. Warning - you will be furious when you read what Aunt Quanita knew and did not share with police until a month before the arrest, and shared only after she was locked up.

Sadly, Michigan does not have the death penalty. Though with Cheatham's young age, he could easily spend a half century behind bars and if he's in the gp it will be a very tough existance for him.
    ~JMO~

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Link for Wayne County, MI court records:
    https://www.3rdcc.org/OPA.aspx
    ~JMO~

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Jury trial is scheduled for 9:00am June 30th. Let's hope there are no delays.

https://cmspublic.3rdcc.org/CaseDeta...CaseID=2358074

I am going to ask the mods to move this thread to currently awaiting trial.
    ~JMO~

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I'm first reading about this arrest now. the second have of 2013 was incredibly busy... glad to have time to start catching up again.

Aunt says boyfriend was in bed with girl, 5, before she was found sexually assaulted, burned

http://www.freep.com/article/2013111...ssault-Detroit

She was in the bed with him while he was sexually assaulting her 5 year old neice on the other side of the bed.

much more at above article. Warning - you will be furious when you read what Aunt Quanita knew and did not share with police until a month before the arrest, and shared only after she was locked up.

Sadly, Michigan does not have the death penalty. Though with Cheatham's young age, he could easily spend a half century behind bars and if he's in the gp it will be a very tough existance for him.

This article has made me so mad. I hate women that are so desperate for a man that they will put him first. Anyone that sits, or lays in this case, by and allows abuse, is just as bad as the molester. Her own aunt who's supposed to protect her. I could shoot her right between the eyes. I Hope she faces charges on this.....or did she plea bargain?

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to always reading For This Useful Post:

Does anyone know what the aunt is locked up for?

I'm not seeing any criminal court cases for Aunt Quanita in the previous link to the online court records.

My quess is she was not charged in Mariha's case and is probably going to be a ? cooperative witness. At least that was my impression based on the msm article.
    ~JMO~

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

http://www.freep.com/article/2014063...0051/1001/news

Jury selection is scheduled to begin this morning in the trial of a Detroit man accused of murdering 5-year-old Mariha Smith nearly three years ago.

Darnell Cheatham is accused of sexually assaulting the child, killing her and torching an abandoned house in the 2900 block of Waverly where Mariha’s body was discovered.

He was charged with first-degree murder, felony murder, arson, torture, first-degree child abuse and disinterment and mutilation of a body.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to OkieGranny For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast