Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: NC -*ARREST MADE* - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kiniston-Raleigh, 13 July 2011 - #2

Yeppers, Jeannie - Just what I was thinking. I don't know how far down the pecking order of state officials that bodyguards or drivers go, but it's necessary in today's world. And yes, certainly judges would probably qualify at least from time to time. NC Supremes during certain cases/hearings? Chief of Police in Raleigh or Charlotte or other LEO's? Maybe even defense attys. in some cases as well. We live in a tuff world at times, don't we?!

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

2. The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

http://www.wcti12.com/news/28866696/detail.html

Court documents show that a machete has been included as evidence in the case.
    I just don't understand - and I never will!!
    This is where Sky belongs!! Proud member of the Sky Crew & proud supporter of Solomon's quest to find his precious son!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195327

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cocomod For This Useful Post:

Machete

Quote Originally Posted by cocomod View Post
    http://www.wcti12.com/news/28866696/detail.html

I just don't understand - and I never will!!
    That makes me sick just thinking about it. I thought earlier reports said it was not used. They must have found blood evidence...

Rest in peace Laura.........
    A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
    5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
    14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
    8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
    14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
    11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
    15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ

Write to:
    Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
    NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
    RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
    or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
    http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

Ugh... a machete...

I remember reading as well that the LEOs or some source said that they didn't think a machete had been used. So, who knoze??

I do know that the investigators conducting a SW take a lot of items, many of which are never mentioned or heard about again. I'm feel sure that the ones conducting this SW did the same. Not to do so would have been criticized by "everyone" and viewed as negligent. -- if I had been conducting the search, I certainly would have taken it. That thing must have been mighty, mighty sharp to do the job. I wonder where they found it -- in a house where two toddlers rattled around all over the place.

Who would not have thrown away the machete or whatever cutting device was used?

Ultimately, it does not matter what item was used for the body dismemberment -- altho I sure hope they have the cutting device that was used since juries now seem to want every single detail covered to convict -- but I'm not buying the machete yet, but it would be the weapon of choice, seems to me... quiet, strong, etc. ??
    Last edited by borndem; 08-18-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: wording

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Hey I just wanted to link to the latest story on WRAL today. Here it is:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10021122/

Sorry for linking and running! I'm a local lurker that follows along but as a homeschool mom to 2, I don't get much time to chime in. I just wanted to thank all of you for posting as much information as you do.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skaylie693 For This Useful Post:

======> Skaylie - We're glad to have you any time you can join us. Thanks for the link, and please jump in as often as you can. (Give 'em a tuff math problem & put them to thinkin' and share your thoughts or questions with us!)

..... .....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by skaylie693 View Post
    Hey I just wanted to link to the latest story on WRAL today. Here it is:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10021122/

Sorry for linking and running! I'm a local lurker that follows along but as a homeschool mom to 2, I don't get much time to chime in. I just wanted to thank all of you for posting as much information as you do.
    According to the warrant, it appears that they were only seeking access to one of LA's accounts, presumably the most recently active ("ljackerson@gmail.com"). Recall from a previous post that in Nov 2010, LA had submitted the request below to the Gmail support team in order to regain access a previous account (apparently "lackerson@gmail.com", which was one of hers), which she claims GH had previously accessed and deleted and that it contained material evidence for her custody suit. I hope the authorities are also attempting to search the older account information if it still available from Google.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...3a90e52c&hl=en

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ratter For This Useful Post:

Wow, I had to do some hunting to find this one... Way in the back

Awaiting justice for Lauren
    Just my, no one elses

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~greeneyedgirl~ For This Useful Post:

I wonder when these two will go to trial........

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

From today's ENC Today, Sept. 7:
    Coroners can't conclude cause of death from Ackerson's autopsy
    September 07, 2011 12:00 AM
    Wesley Brown
    Staff Writer

<mod snip>
    Dr. Nobby C. Mambo, a chief pathologist with the Galveston County Medical Examiner’ Office in Texas, declared the dismembered 27-year-old died from a murder of “undetermined means,” according to a copy of Ackerson’s autopsy obtained by The Free Press Monday.

While Mambo could not conclude exactly how Ackerson was killed, he stated X-rays performed on her thorax, lower torso and left leg — the three body parts examined in the report — came back “negative for projectiles.” An inspection of her heart, trachea, esophagus and right lung found no evidence of Ackerson suffering from traumatic injuries prior to her death.

What he did discover was “jagged” cuts consistent with “tool markings” along the skin of Ackerson’s neck, abdomen, lower hip and knee where she was amputated.
    <mod snip>
    http://www.enctoday.com/news/conclud...ers-death.html
    Last edited by bessie; 10-20-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: copyright rule, post exceeded 10% of source article
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2011/sep/0...ve-ar-1365314/

Sigh.. I guess this means it'll be a he said / she said
    I wonder if GH and his wife will turn on each other?
    I wonder if they'll claim it was an accident?
    Sigh....more tax dollars spent on 2 murderers
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by deelytful1 View Post
    http://www2.wnct.com/news/2011/sep/0...ve-ar-1365314/

Sigh.. I guess this means it'll be a he said / she said
    I wonder if GH and his wife will turn on each other?
    I wonder if they'll claim it was an accident?
    Sigh....more tax dollars spent on 2 murderers
    They better have their story down pat or they are in trouble. If one says it was an accident and we panicked and the other says she attacked me and it was self defense the gloves are on! Either way they dismembered her and tried to hid the crime. I hope NC has a really stiff penalty for that.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

Has there been anything on the custody of the boys?

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieC View Post
    They better have their story down pat or they are in trouble. If one says it was an accident and we panicked and the other says she attacked me and it was self defense the gloves are on! Either way they dismembered her and tried to hid the crime. I hope NC has a really stiff penalty for that.

BBM
    We do. It's called Murder in the First Degree, a Class A1 Felony -- of course, you know that, JC! (I don't see how it could be anything less for them unless one or both of them are allowed to plead down to 2nd Degree.) As for the dismemberment -- which I think is your real question, I don't know -- I'll have to do more research to see if there is anything in the Statutes about it... I do think something is being considered, IIRC.

People can be so twisted.

And I haven't seen/heard anything new about the children...

14‑17. Murder in the first and second degree defined; punishment.
    A murder which shall be perpetrated by means of a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon of mass destruction as defined in G.S. 14‑288.21, poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving, torture, or by any other kind of willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or which shall be committed in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of any arson, rape or a sex offense, robbery, kidnapping, burglary, or other felony committed or attempted with the use of a deadly weapon shall be deemed to be murder in the first degree, a Class A felony, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished with death or imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole as the court shall determine pursuant to G.S. 15A‑2000, except that any such person who was under 18 years of age at the time of the murder shall be punished with imprisonment in the State's prison for life without parole.
    All other kinds of murder, including that which shall be proximately caused by the unlawful distribution of opium or any synthetic or natural salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium, or cocaine or other substance described in G.S. 90‑90(1)d., or methamphetamine, when the ingestion of such substance causes the death of the user, shall be deemed murder in the second degree, and any person who commits such murder shall be punished as a Class B2 felon. ...."

BBM

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-17.html

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Facebook & Email info Seized in Probe of Kingston mom's murder

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10157413/

In search warrants returned Monday afternoon, detectives asked for permission to obtain all data from the social networking page of Grant Ruffin Hayes, as well as data from a Hotmail account belonging to him. The warrants, however, do not offer any new information in the case.
    http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/F...130212373.html

Raleigh police have seized Facebook and Hotmail information from accounts belonging to a man accused of killing a Kinston mother this summer.
    Raleigh police served search warrants also to Microsoft Corporation for Hayes' Hotmail account. In both cases the court documents say they seized "account records" from the computer companies.

An affidavit from police said they were looking for emails that may contain evidence of a crime, or others which could reveal planning or motivation for the woman's murder. It says a friend of Ackerson's said the woman often communicated with Hayes via email and "the e-mails were being saved for the child custody hearings."
    This is where Sky belongs!! Proud member of the Sky Crew & proud supporter of Solomon's quest to find his precious son!

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cocomod For This Useful Post:

I sure am missing you guys!! Hope each of you is well.

Hayes/Haze Fires Attorney 9/20/11 WRAL internet news

Raleigh, N.C. — A Raleigh man accused of killing and dismembering his ex-girlfriend has fired his attorney.

During a hearing Thursday in Wake County Superior Court, Jim Freeman filed a handwritten motion and letter from Grant Ruffin Hayes asking a judge to relieve Freeman as counsel.

Freeman cited "good cause" for the dismissal but said he could not elaborate why.

Hayes, who will be appointed a new public defender, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Laura Jean Ackerson.

Ackerson, 27, was last seen July 13 in Raleigh, where she was dropping off the two children she shares with Hayes.

She was reported missing five days later, and her remains were found July 24 in a creek in Richmond, Texas, about 60 miles south of Houston.

Hayes' wife, Amanda Perry Hayes, 39, is also charged with first-degree murder.

Raleigh police haven't commented on a motive, but Ackerson's relatives say she and Hayes were involved in a child custody battle.
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the post, NCEast! R U back fer a spell, now? Hope so!

So, PurpleHaze doesn't dig his free-e-e-e-ee attorney, huh? Did Freeman pitch copping a plea and Haze is feeling lucky? Is Freeman too bossy? Not falling down in fan frenzy in front of the Haze or just what? Hmmmm, I guess we'll never know. But it sounds like the jailhouse hasn't made Haze any too humble. (as if)

His gf needs to start talking...

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

"The objects, we believe, were floating, and that came up into the lily pads, (which) made it difficult," said Mark Thorsen, a member of the Houston Police Department's dive team. "It was a football field of lily pads and weeds and stuff like that that we had to go through to try to search."
    Investigators on Tuesday positively identified the remains as those of Ackerson. They said they believe she was slain in North Carolina before her killers hauled her dismembered body in coolers to Texas for disposal.
    Amanda Hayes' sister lives about 100 yards from a wooded area that includes Oyster Creek, and Texas authorities said that Grant and Amanda Hayes arrived in Richmond last Monday.
    Investigators took a machete from the house, but Chief Deputy Craig Brady of the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office said he doubted that it was connected to the case.
    "It's obvious from the remains that something other than a machete was also used, if the machete was used at all," Brady said.
    Detectives also seized 124- and 75-quart ice chests from the house, and Brady said it appears Grant Hayes purchased five coolers in North Carolina in the days after Ackerson was reported missing.
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9910196/

It was later discovered he purchased a saw and they have the receipt for it. Jagged edges were found in autopsy too. He used a saw. I say "he" because I don't think I have ever heard of a case where a woman dismembered a body.

At some point she will question her loyalty to him and cop a plea deal I hope.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to HatesSociopaths For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HatesSociopaths View Post

It was later discovered he purchased a saw and they have the receipt for it. Jagged edges were found in autopsy too. He used a saw. I say "he" because I don't think I have ever heard of a case where a woman dismembered a body.

Bolded by me:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...ed-222215.html

This is an article before Laura Hall was actually re-convicted, but this article explains the murder of Jennifer Cave and Hall's alleged participation after the fact. Never say never.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HatesSociopaths View Post

Elisa Baker............

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

Posted: 12:27 PM Oct 17, 2011

Murdered Kinston Mom May Have Been Lured To Raleigh

Laura Ackerson's body was found back in July in a Texas creek, just days after the woman was reported missing.

Court documents indicate that a man accused of killing a Kinston mother may have lured her to his Raleigh apartment this summer.
    Laura Ackerson's body was found back in July in a Texas creek, just days after the woman was reported missing. Ackerson's ex-boyfriend, Grant Hayes, and Hayes' wife have both been charged with her murder.

In new court documents, Raleigh police say Ackerson received an email from Hayes to visit their children at his apartment on July 13th. Police later found the woman's missing car nearby and then on July 24th her dismembered remains were discovered in Texas.

Investigators are seeking information from Hayes' Yahoo email to help their case. Court documents in Lenoir County show the couple were involved in a hotly contested custody dispute for their two children.

Hope everybody is well!
    ............Harper Lee

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NCEast View Post
    Posted: 12:27 PM Oct 17, 2011

Murdered Kinston Mom May Have Been Lured To Raleigh

Laura Ackerson's body was found back in July in a Texas creek, just days after the woman was reported missing.

Court documents indicate that a man accused of killing a Kinston mother may have lured her to his Raleigh apartment this summer.
    Laura Ackerson's body was found back in July in a Texas creek, just days after the woman was reported missing. Ackerson's ex-boyfriend, Grant Hayes, and Hayes' wife have both been charged with her murder.

In new court documents, Raleigh police say Ackerson received an email from Hayes to visit their children at his apartment on July 13th. Police later found the woman's missing car nearby and then on July 24th her dismembered remains were discovered in Texas.

Investigators are seeking information from Hayes' Yahoo email to help their case. Court documents in Lenoir County show the couple were involved in a hotly contested custody dispute for their two children.

Hope everybody is well!
    http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/D...3.html?ref=173

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10267215/

The warrant for email records, which was released late Friday, says that Grant Ruffin Hayes, 32, used a Yahoo! email account to invite Laura Jean Ackerson, 27, of Kinston, to visit with the children on July 13.
    "Every fact along the way will be important in determining premeditation and deliberation, among other things," the lead prosecutor in the case, Becky Holt, said Monday. "There's a lot of things to consider and a lot of things to take into account."
    Monsters!! I wonder how their "friends" feel now about saying that no way would Grant do these things?

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cocomod For This Useful Post:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=8394730

Video coverage at link

Warrants: Hayes may have lured Ackerson
    Monday, October 17, 2011

According to the warrant, "... It was determined that prior to her death, Laura Ackerson received a message from Grant Haze to visit the children at his residence on the evening of July 13, 2011."

Investigators found conversations between Ackerson and Hayes after searching various e-mail accounts. In the warrant made publice Monday, investigators say they're looking for "any other e-mails that may reveal planning or motivation for the murder of Laura Ackerson."
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deelytful1 For This Useful Post:

It just keeps getting worse and worse for him doesn't it.

Bumping for Laura, Grant Jr., and Gentle.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cocomod View Post
    http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/D...3.html?ref=173

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10267215/

Monsters!! I wonder how their "friends" feel now about saying that no way would Grant do these things?
    I wonder, can they spell, "Premeditation".....................
    Last edited by bessie; 10-20-2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540