Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: NC -*ARREST MADE* - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kiniston-Raleigh, 13 July 2011 - #2

The nephew posted at 9:38AM on Saturday, July 16 that "aunt amanda is on her way."

Why would you rent a U-Haul 3+ days before leaving for a trip? If they were not just using it to transport the ice chests, why not load up later and save the expense?

And if the U-Haul was only to transport the 5 ice chests, again, why rent it so far in advance? They didn't leave until Saturday morning, as far as I can tell. Yet they already had the U-Haul before 6PM on Weds., July 13.

I don't know that it has been factually established that they drove a truck, has it? If so, perhaps "truck" really means SUV?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boodles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by say2when View Post
    I am with you I think LA distanced her self from her family for a reason, none of them seemed to have her nor her children in their lives until this point. I am not sure if it is just the way I was raised, but I just could not imagine my life without my sister/brother in it. I wonder just how many of her family members other than JA have even laid eyes on these children?
    I am not so sure LA has distanced herself in the way people are thinking.

I think its important to keep in mind that LA's older half-sisters (7 and 10 years older than her) moved out to live with their mother when LA was an infant.

When LA was 8 (or thereabouts), her mother and father split, and she moved with her mother to Iowa.

She has not lived anywhere near her half-sisters since she was 8 or so. Her half-sisters, who LA didn't even grow up in the same house with, grew up from 7 and 10 with their mother in Michigan, LA grew up from 8 on with her mother in Iowa.

Given the above its possible, even probable that LA and her half-sisters were never close.

She did keep in touch with her half-brother though, she actually lived with him in Raleigh for a year, and they talked on the phone once she moved 90 minutes away to Kinston.

She did keep in touch with her father; RA claims they spoke 3 times a week, and he mentioned her visiting for Christmas 2 years back.

As for LA's mother (*note again this is not the same mother as her half siblings*), there is no reason to think she also didn't talk to her as well, though there has not been much from her aside from a comment relayed by JA of her extreme sorrow.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jrb0124 For This Useful Post:

http://www.enctoday.com/news/death-7...y-raleigh.html

"By tracking the couples’ travels through witness statements and Amanda Hayes’ cell phone records, investigators contend the couple rented a U-Haul trailer, pulled it up to Unit No. 064 they leased at the Secure Care Self Storage in Raleigh, filled it with the coolers and towed the containers more than 1,250 miles to the home of Amanda Hayes’ sister near Houston, warrants stated.

This news report was released today. According to this, the youngest child's full name is Gentle Reign. I had read about the first name, Gentle, but not the middle name.
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Another tidbit from the article you found:

Freeman [GH public defender] told The Free Press he has seen the search warrant, but has yet to see the investigative file being compiled by the Raleigh Police Department. The attorney said he expects his client to have his next court date set for Sept. 29 — the next date scheduled for homicide status hearings.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrb0124 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NCEast View Post
    According to this, the youngest child's full name is Gentle Reign. I had read about the first name, Gentle, but not the middle name.
    here is GH's answer to his youngest son's name:

"I named my oldest Grant Haze IV...and then you have Gentle. Because now...in my maturity, I'm understanding what real masculinity is. And it's gentle."

Uh huh...

[LINK]

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrb0124 For This Useful Post:

http://www.enctoday.com/news/death-7...y-raleigh.html

"By tracking the couples’ travels through witness statements and Amanda Hayes’ cell phone records, investigators contend the couple rented a U-Haul trailer, pulled it up to Unit No. 064 they leased at the Secure Care Self Storage in Raleigh, filled it with the coolers and towed the containers more than 1,250 miles to the home of Amanda Hayes’ sister near Houston, warrants stated.
    I wonder if the witness quoted as seeing GH and AH at the self-storage place could be confused about his dates? I could see if they killed Laura on Weds, July 13, then did the horrible acts in the apartment the following morning when Sha Elmer watched the kids for them, and THEN put the ice chests in the storage unit until they left for Texas Sat AM.

But I can't figure how they could have done what they did with the body in time to put the chests in the storage unit before 6PM July 13.

Part of me says since the father is a minister and they run a day care center in Kinston the boys may be fine with them forever. However, another part of me says these same people reared a son who is charged with murder, not to mention the gory-gruesome details, of said murder. It may be more beneficial in the long run if they keep quiet, refuse all interviews, and just maintain a low profile.
    And the little boys may have an ultimate better life starting anew in another city with another family who will adopt them into in a normal, loving, all-American household far removed from the stigma of their father's legacy.
    In re-reading your post -- I have already commented on the little boys "getting away from everything and having a brand new start"; I now wonder how children of parent-murderers or children of murdered parents -- or of both (like the Cooper children or the Young child or the Abaroa child -- convicted or not), how they deal/cope with it as they grow older & really grasp what their heritage is in that regard? I'm sure many of them have undergone therapy as well as possible prison visits with the "surviving" spouse/parent. This is something that (thank you, God) I am not familiar with at all -- not even a friend or relative of mine, AFAIK, has been affected by this, so I have no idea what it is like.

Does anyone out there know of a case in point? Therapist, counselor, prison employee, MD, etc. I just can't imagine it. Kids are very resilient, but they grow into young adults, etc. It must be a heavy load...
    Last edited by borndem; 08-11-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: word out of place

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

13. The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SurfieTX View Post
    JRB, would you be so kind as to update the timeline with the Storage sighting? I'm wondering when they bought the coolers.....
    Yes, I will put up another one later....though it seems everytime I do several new things come to light the same day. The last one I put their probable cause hearings in, and a few hours later we find out they have been indicted instead.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrb0124 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrb0124 View Post
    here is GH's answer to his youngest son's name:

"I named my oldest Grant Haze IV...and then you have Gentle. Because now...in my maturity, I'm understanding what real masculinity is. And it's gentle."

Uh huh...

[LINK]

What a hoot!
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    In re-reading your post -- I have already commented on the little boys "getting away from everything and having a brand new start"; I now wonder how children of parent-murderers or children of murdered parents -- or of both (like the Cooper children or the Young child or the Abaroa child -- convicted or not), how they deal/cope with it as they grow older & really grasp what their heritage is in that regard? I'm sure many of them have undergone therapy as well as possible prison visits with the "surviving" spouse/parent. This is something that (thank you, God) I am not familiar with at all -- not even a friend or relative of mine, AFAIK, has been affected by this, so I have no idea what it is like.

Does anyone out there know of a case in point? Therapist, counselor, prison employee, MD, etc. I just can't imagine it. Kids are very resilient, but they grow into young adults, etc. It must be a heavy load...
    It's an interesting concept and, like you, I don't have any first hand experience with relatives, thankfully. However, I did work with troubled youth and their parents several years ago. Sadly, a lot of the children who come from horrible family circumstances such as one parent murdering another, carry it with them forever and are sometimes filled with hatred toward the committing parent forever. Even with therapy, maturation and well into their own adulthoods--with children of their own--many just can't let loose. Of course, others thrive and seem to never look back. With the parents of children who committed the worst offenses, they always blame themselves. "Where did we go wrong?", etc.
    I am hoping that the Hayes children are young enough that they will be able to escape the nightmare of their parent(s') legacy. However, I honestly do not think that will be possible unless the children are completely removed from the families, are adopted by an outside family, and are removed from the Raleigh/Kinston area altogether.
    ............Harper Lee

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Boodles View Post
    I wonder if the witness quoted as seeing GH and AH at the self-storage place could be confused about his dates? I could see if they killed Laura on Weds, July 13, then did the horrible acts in the apartment the following morning when Sha Elmer watched the kids for them, and THEN put the ice chests in the storage unit until they left for Texas Sat AM.

But I can't figure how they could have done what they did with the body in time to put the chests in the storage unit before 6PM July 13.
    I'm confused about this and still don't have a good understanding of how the storage unit plays into everything. Were the coolers already in the storage unit? Since we don't know exactly what time LA arrived at the Hayes' apartment--either to pick the children up to take them out to eat.....or to bring them home from eating out....the timeline will be a question mark until more info is released. Actually, I don't think she ever left the apartment once she arrived to pick the boys up. I think whatever happened to her happened probably within the first 20 minutes or so of her arrival there.
    ............Harper Lee

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

I don't know if there was enough of her found in the creek for a medical examiner to be able to determine what the actual cause of death was. I am very interested in that too. If enough of her neck was still attached to her head with a broken hyoid bone that would suggest strangulation.
    In my next life I do not want to be a medical examiner.
    East -- my thought of howdunit was also strangulation since it would be a bit quieter than some alternatives, altho she would fight it strongly seems to me, at least for a minute or so (a bit of noise). If a garrotte was used, that would make it quicker -- and a coat hanger, belt, piece of rope, broomstick at the throat, would always be around any apartment. I also wonder if the skull might show blunt force trauma? Or was she just beaten to death? Stabbing would be very messy and untidy...

Yes, we need to see the autopsy.

I think being a medical examiner would be very interesting in a next life, but there are a lot of bones to study & memorize, comparative anatomy class is a b****, and there's a lot of chemistry labs (not my forte -- I was an English major!).

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

East -- my thought of howdunit was also strangulation since it would be a bit quieter than some alternatives, altho she would fight it strongly seems to me, at least for a minute or so (a bit of noise). If a garrotte was used, that would make it quicker -- and a coat hanger, belt, piece of rope, broomstick at the throat, would always be around any apartment. I also wonder if the skull might show blunt force trauma? Or was she just beaten to death? Stabbing would be very messy and untidy...

I think being a medical examiner would be very interesting in a next life, but there are a lot of bones to study & memorize, comparative anatomy class is a b****, and there's a lot of chemistry labs (not my forte -- I was an English major!).

I think you we are thinking along the same lines--that the murder was probably a 'soft' one--strangulation, suffocation, etc. I am still intrigued by the dismemberment--they must have used a hack saw or hand saw and not an electrical saw to avoid making a lot of noise in the apartment complex. Gosh, just thinking about that gives me goosebumps, so gory.
    If I'm remembering correctly, the Texas ME was going to do the autopsy? Is that right? I hope there is enough of her left, especially the head/neck area, to determine a cause of death. Not being able to actually determine a cause of death was one of the big hang ups the CA jury had.
    My father, brother and grandson were/are engineers, they got the good math and science genes. English was my forte early on (wouldn't know it to hear me talk!) but I ended up in LE with a psych degree. I mostly inherited the farmhand genes from my mom's side of the family
    ............Harper Lee

U-Haul

Quote Originally Posted by Boodles View Post
    The nephew posted at 9:38AM on Saturday, July 16 that "aunt amanda is on her way."

Why would you rent a U-Haul 3+ days before leaving for a trip? If they were not just using it to transport the ice chests, why not load up later and save the expense?

And if the U-Haul was only to transport the 5 ice chests, again, why rent it so far in advance? They didn't leave until Saturday morning, as far as I can tell. Yet they already had the U-Haul before 6PM on Weds., July 13.

I don't know that it has been factually established that they drove a truck, has it? If so, perhaps "truck" really means SUV?
    My guess is that they were taking furniture to her sister.
    A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
    5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
    14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
    8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
    14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
    11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
    15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ

Write to:
    Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
    NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
    RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
    or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
    http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

Grant Hayes had purchased several ice chests to transport Ackerson's dismembered body, then put them in a U-Haul trailer. The couple towed it with a pickup truck more than 1,200 miles to Fort Bend County, where Perry Hayes' sister lives, Brady said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...#ixzz1UlIve1gM
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

Rope

GH told AH to get rope from the storage building's office.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

From the same article:

It was not clear if the incident had been planned, he said.
    "I don't know if it was planned homicide or just tempers flared," Brady said. "I can't imagine someone being that cold and just uncaring that after the murder they took the steps of dismembering this lady in the matter they did and tossing her in a creek."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...#ixzz1UlJM4TrB
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

Grant Hayes had purchased several ice chests to transport Ackerson's dismembered body, then put them in a U-Haul trailer. The couple towed it with a pickup truck more than 1,200 miles to Fort Bend County, where Perry Hayes' sister lives, Brady said.

sorry to quote myself, but who is Perry Hayes? Was Amanda's last name Perry at some point? ?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

Perry Hayes

They're calling AH Perry Hayes.......

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

35. The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

I went back to the first group of posts in this case and could not for the life of me see the one about the nephew's FB message. On July 25 a poster said the nephew's FB account had been made private. Sorry I couldn't help with the date the nephew indicated his happiness that his aunt was coming for a visit.
    Here is the Facebook post by the nephew. I think the moderator must have deleted the last one since it had names in it. They are now blurred out. It was July 16 @ 9:38 am.
    Attached Images Attached Images

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ratter For This Useful Post:

As horrible as this is to think about I believe we might have stumbled onto pre-meditation. GH and AH rented the trailer early. Why? To store LA's body until the trip. I hate to say this but I believe they were keeping her dismembered body "on ice" in the trailer. No smell.

That is why they needed a trailer and that is why they needed it 3 days ahead of time. Body locked in a trailer in the parking lot, ready to go. Probably had furniture blocking the view so when they opened the door no one would see what was in there.

I bet they will find that GH was buying bags of ice during the days before they left for TX.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

Last name

sorry to quote myself, but who is Perry Hayes? Was Amanda's last name Perry at some point? ?
    I think you are right.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

Originally Posted by JeannieC [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7014008#post7014008"][/ame]
    Didn't someone say LA and GH's baby girl was taken into custody by DSS?
    I could be wrong about that but I think I saw that somewhere.

You may be correct. I am not functioning well/remembering much today with this migraine.
    The LEOs had to do something with the kids when they arrested the Purple Hazes, so a call to DSS is usually what they do.... But somehow, I guess, the toddlers are with GH's folks, right? So I would think the baby is as well. Or were they all with LA's daughter? Dunno.
    Last edited by borndem; 08-11-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Add sentence

The storage facility has gated access from 6 am - 10 pm per their website. Only the office is open until 6 pm. Maybe GH and AH went more than once that day???

43. The Following User Says Thank You to jantel74 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieC View Post
    My guess is that they were taking furniture to her sister.
    That may very well be correct. Since they had listed their high dollar items on Craigslist they may have been trying to unload the rest of the bigger pieces in anticipation for a quick trip to the Virgin Islands.
    The more I think about their Virgin Island plans and the statements GH made in the days prior to LA's death, I am thinking the murder was totally premeditated and they thought they could ditch her remains in TX and leave the country immediately before LA's disappearance was even investigated seriously. I am so totally thrilled that their plans just didn't work out.
    ............Harper Lee

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast