Not open for further replies.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

How to Become a Verified Member

__________________________________________________ ___________
Who's Who in the Lauren Spierer Case, Updated 06-30-11 (by the Herald Times Online)
Photos and Maps
Media Links

Bloomington Police search for missing 20 year old woman

She is a white female, 4 feet 11 inches tall, slender build, has blue eyes and long blonde hair. She is listed as a student according to IU Bloomington's website.

Spierer was last seen walking south on College Avenue from 11th Street on her way back to her apartment in Smallwood Plaza, located on College Avenue.

She did not arrive to her apartment and video footage does not show her entering the apartment complex.
Spierer was wearing a white tank top with a loose, light colored button shirt over it and full length black stretch pants. She was not wearing shoes.

Re: the photo released Wednesday, 06-15-2011, of Lauren leaving Smallwood Apartments the evening of June 2, 2011. ttp://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81929

257055720-08091055.jpg

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-laure...,1261306.story
__________________________________________________ _________
Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread 31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34

Good morning all. Just saw there was a new thread w/ no new posts:-(

Hoping today is the day the boys decide to bring some good karma to their lives & let Lauren's family have a little peace. Can you imagine waking (if you slept) every day not knowing where to look or what to do to find your daughter?? I cannot. I pray for them.

This has probably been discussed before, but if so I have not seen it. I would really like to know why the police won't release the video footage or give more details as to the exact nature of all that went on from those tapes. I can see in some of the other cases mentioned as to why the police may be silent, because most likely in those cases they have nothing or don't really know anything. In this case Lauren has been missing for just over 2 months now and there is video footage of her on that last night, video footage from more than one location. I am sure that the police, FBI, etc have went over the tapes with a fine tooth comb and apparently have not found anything relevant or anything that will help find her or charge someone. However I have heard her family state on diferent occasions that they have not seen the tapes and surely her friends have not seen the tapes. Those tapes, IMO may give a clue to someone that knew Lauren, something out of the oridnary that police or investigators may not know to look for just because they do not know Lauren personally. Or the public at large may be able to spot something or someone on those tapes that is unusual. The tapes may be no help if released, but at this point as I pray every day for Laurens safe return or for closure for her poor mom and dad, I just wish the police would do something with what they have, because they have a lot more to go on than other cases, IMO.

JMOO

I agree. I have wanted to think the BPD is professional and competent, but I'm starting to see it differently. Since it is pretty obvious her family thinks Lauren's friends know more, I think they need to show portions of the tape to put pressure on the friends around her that night. It would also bring interest back to MSM, which seems to be fizzled. This is a perfect time, with students returning to Bloomington for Fall semester.
I can only imagine CS's utter frustration and sadness. I know I'm frustrated and sad and I don't even know Lauren. But I'm a mother, and my heart aches for Lauren's family and friends.

Getting the tapes out for all the shows and public consumption would be a good way to revitalize the case. I wish Nancy Grace and JVM would go back to finding the missing instead of the courtroom dramas.

Are there legalities surrounding releasing video like this? I can see a case made for releasing video when they need help IDing a suspect, or POI they need to talk to. But releasing video on the off chance that what it shows about the behavior of POIs might trigger tips - well I'm not seeing that as a valid reason to go against those people's right to privacy. If it sheds a POI in a negative light, but that POI isn't guilty or LE thinks he is not, could releasing the video lead to a lawsuit?

Are there legalities surrounding releasing video like this? I can see a case made for releasing video when they need help IDing a suspect, or POI they need to talk to. But releasing video on the off chance that what it shows about the behavior of POIs might trigger tips - well I'm not seeing that as a valid reason to go against those people's right to privacy. If it sheds a POI in a negative light, but that POI isn't guilty or LE thinks he is not, could releasing the video lead to a lawsuit?

I would think so, yes. If the video shows anyone, POI or not, they would be liable.

I wouldn't think so as the videos (other than the Smallwood video) were made in public places (ie alley, street). Anyone walking in a public place has no right to what is called- "expected privacy" http://www.library.ca.gov/crb/97/05/ "Generally, a person walking along a public sidewalk or standing in a public park cannot reasonably expect that his activity will be immune from the public eye or from observation by the police. This was recognized by the Supreme Court in United States vs. Knotts 368 U.S. 276, 281-82 (1983):" There are several more links, that one though explained it well for me.

As I said in the other post, IMO it would not be a privacy violation, as it was a public place... Bolded by me, at this point anything that potentially could trigger a tip or clue would be great, whether it be POIS behaviour, Laurens behaviour, some object in the video etc. I hate to see this become a cold case, her parents deserve closure!!

It SEEMS as though police are reluctant to release the video from the alley as though it might not reflect well on Lauren?

It SEEMS as though police are reluctant to release the video from the alley as though it might not reflect well on Lauren?
Thats what I have wondered as well, but at this point her reputation should be the least of their worries. If I were her family (I have 4 daughters ages 23, 21, 16, & 3 and feel so sad for the mom of LS) at this point I would not care what was on the video if there was a chance it may bring answers about my daughter.

I think the likeliest explanation is that the video is a key piece of evidence and they expect it to be shown someday to a jury who has never seen it before.

If they thought releasing the video could elicit valuable information, I'd imagine it would have been released already.

OK don't you all throw something at me at once, look at the boys eyes. There are 2 there that have that hollow, fishes have more personality in their eyes than those 2 do.

JW has never copped to any more info on who hit him, that I know of, to me seems like a lie right there, but I have seen it happen before, but not in a missing person case. JMO

OK don't you all throw something at me at once, look at the boys eyes. There are 2 there that have that hollow, fishes have more personality in their eyes than those 2 do.

JW has never copped to any more info on who hit him, that I know of, to me seems like a lie right there, but I have seen it happen before, but not in a missing person case. JMO

Imm not aware of jw being hit-do u mean CR? They should have video evidence of the hit shoulnt they?

I think whatever happenedin the alley(doing drugs or sex) pales at this point to finding lauren. If the video can POSSIBLY help, let's see it. We are talking college kids here. No matter what lauren did, nobody had a reason to hide her body.

I think whatever happenedin the alley(doing drugs or sex) pales at this point to finding lauren. If the video can POSSIBLY help, let's see it. We are talking college kids here. No matter what lauren did, nobody had a reason to hide her body.

You might have hit on the reason they don't release the videos. Parents have kids going to the college. Colleges hate bad PR. Colleges have a heavy influence on politicans and don't want anything in the press that would adversely affect the enrollment in their college.

In reflecting upon the past week's posts here on WS there seems to be a concerted interest in JR and his possible innocence. Wonder what anyone makes of it.

Today I was also reflecting on how often I stumble upon news stories about this case posted on international-related Web sites. Recall about a month or more ago there was a "Missing" ad with her picture in the European section of the WSJ. Last week, a piece about the landfill appeared in International Business Times. Just two quick examples.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/191...y-student-fashion-alcohol-landfill-police.htm

Then I think about what a poster said of JR's family home in MI. Sounds like the residents may be away for the summer. Overseas, possibly?

Oh, also, according to his FB page, JW is now an intern at Blue Wolf Communications.

You might have hit on the reason they don't release the videos. Parents have kids going to the college. Colleges hate bad PR. Colleges have a heavy influence on politicans and don't want anything in the press that would adversely affect the enrollment in their college.

Kids do a good enough job on their own of advertising their drug and alcohol use, as well as sexual activity, on social media.

If the activity on the tape is something less than flattering, it still may not be of value to the public...what info could be gleaned by seeing Lauren, for example, and CR and/or whoever is on the tape engaged in some illicit activity? LE has already said that they were able to identify everyone they had on tape, so they don't need the public for that.

While there could be several reasons not to show the video, just seeing these people as they appeared that night (and immediately around the time of the disappearance (clothing, demeanor, hair, etc....) might spark someone's memory about seeing someone in the video that they later saw doing or saying something that might be of interest to the police.

Since no POI has really been shown in a widespread way someone at a gas station or other early morning business might recognize them from the video as being in their place when they've been claiming to be home in bed (or whatever). Maybe some good samaritan helped one of them with a car problem that morning far from where they claimed to have been. Maybe one of them went thru a 24hr drivethru at 6AM?

The point being... it's not outside the realm of possibility one of these videos could spark someone to recall something small about that night that could in reality have huge implications for someone's alibi. Of course that needs weighed against what the police already know or think they know and can't afford to compromise by tipping their hand on what they have on the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail