1247 users online (211 members and 1036 guests)  

Websleuths News

NC - Haywood Co., 3 Skeletons, c. 1951, buried near Lake Junaluska, Aug'11

Remains found near Junaluska likely date back to 1951

Human remains believed to date back to 1951 were found by workers with the Junaluska Sanitary District as they were replacing a sewer line in Tuscola Heights, just off Lakeview Drive in the Lake Junaluska area.

[Junaluska Sanitary Board Chairman John] McCracken said the original sewer and water lines were installed in 1951, and at the time, the sewer lines were put in first and the water lines were installed directly above with a separation of about 2 feet. The bones were found directly in the middle of the two lines.
    http://themountaineer.villagesoup.co...to-1951/140167
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-30-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Wow! Thanks CarlK! I used to live on Lakeview Dr. overlooking Lake Junaluska (in the '80's) so this is especially interesting to me.

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

So can anyone find anything about three missing persons from 1951 in this area?? Any word on the gender/age of the skeletons? Since they were found together, it's not a great leap to assume they got buried/killed at the same time. Of course, anything is always possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn H. View Post
    So can anyone find anything about three missing persons from 1951 in this area?? Any word on the gender/age of the skeletons? Since they were found together, it's not a great leap to assume they got buried/killed at the same time. Of course, anything is always possible...
    The missing persons sites list only one person missing from 1951. She is not from the North Carolina area, and it would be the most extreme of longshots that she is one of these three.

Beverly Potts

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...s_beverly.html

Kenneth, David and Danny Klein (8, 6 and 4) disappeared together in 1951 but far away in Minneapolis.

Ryan said that one theory that developed during the dig was that the remains could have been in the fill dirt that was used on the original project and brought in from another part of the county.
    “It could be an old family plot,” he said.
    If it was fill dirt from an old private family burial place it could be anybody from any year prior to 1951, and probably not on the missing lists.

Lake Junaluska - my favorite place on earth! Although it's been nearly 10 years since I visited.

Anyway, it sounds like it was just a jumble of bones, not three complete skeletons, right? If that's the case, I'd go with the fill dirt, although I find it hard to believe that no one noticed in 1951.

Quote Originally Posted by marion View Post
    Lake Junaluska - my favorite place on earth! Although it's been nearly 10 years since I visited.

Anyway, it sounds like it was just a jumble of bones, not three complete skeletons, right? If that's the case, I'd go with the fill dirt, although I find it hard to believe that no one noticed in 1951.
    I find it a little far fetched, too, that if there were bones in the dirt when it was put in that no one noticed. Is it common in NC to take fill dirt from areas that have been family plots? This just doesn't sound right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
    Is it common in NC to take fill dirt from areas that have been family plots?
    No it isn't.

I wonder if the bones are "old bones" in spite of the initial report....since they buried that deep.

has any more information come to light?