735 users online (83 members and 652 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    For some reason posting all the news articles had the opposite affect than what I was hoping for. I was hoping to inspire conversation not make it stop all together :-)

So mtrooper - what do you think happened to the girls? A situation arose and got out of hand? Surely no chance that they left of their own accord - or is there?

Here's another un-captioned photo from the yearbook. I think it's Pamela Hobley, although I am not entirely sure. She has glasses exactly identical to the glasses in Pamela's yearbook portrait. And her hair and nose are similar too. I'm a little hung up on her mouth though. Her mouth looks a little wider than the other photos of Pamela.

<modsnip>
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Removing incorrect photo of P Hobley

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    So mtrooper - what do you think happened to the girls? A situation arose and got out of hand? Surely no chance that they left of their own accord - or is there?
    I think at first the police thought that they had ran away. Mind you Oscoda back in the 60-70's was a completely different town. The Wurtsmith Airforce base was still open the population was more than triple than what it was after the base closed in the 1990's. Drugs were common in Oscoda, and some of the friends that they kept were definitely known as belonging to a bad crowd.

The girls were not angels, but had managed to stay out of trouble for the most part. A couple of months earlier one of the girls was found hallucinating out in the woods by a bus driver. A guy from the base was charged with a crime (I would have to look up the exact charge. I am not sure if he slipped her something or if it was furnishing to a minor).

I personally believe that the girls met with foul play. I wish there was some way to see where sex offender's used to live back in the day. This is not the only case of unsolved disappearances in Oscoda. There was also-

1- Charlotte Loomis- 09/01/1972 (technically she went missing from NJ, but she was returning home to Oscoda when she went missing. I do not buy the DOE network version of the story)
    2- Harold Covey-12/25/1977
    3- Cherita Thomas- 8/3/1980
    This is probably not related to the girls but a guy by the name of Robert Lepsy that went missing October 29, 1969 from Grayling.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    Here's another un-captioned photo from the yearbook. I think it's Pamela Hobley, although I am not entirely sure. She has glasses exactly identical to the glasses in Pamela's yearbook portrait. And her hair and nose are similar too. I'm a little hung up on her mouth though. Her mouth looks a little wider than the other photos of Pamela.

<modsnip>
    Can I ask what yearbook this was from? I would like to send the link to her sisters so they can look and see if they think that it is her. I tried to find it on class mates, but was not able to find it.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Removing incorrect photo of P Hobley

Quote Originally Posted by marycarney View Post
    Anybody think the peace symbol found while metal-detecting is anything worthwhile? I kinda do.
    If it were something a little more unique, I would say so; but a peace symbol during that time? I'm sure a lot of kids at that school wore them...

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post

<modsnip>
    I have to agree that I think the picture looks a lot like Pamela. Her sisters and her friend both think however that it is not her.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Removing incorrect photo of P Hobley

Going on 42 years. I was out looking at some of the old party spots from the 70's today. They sure are a ways away from the high school. Channel 5 news out of Saginaw did a nice clip last night and then again this morning, but I can't find it on the website.

FINALLY the video feed is working.

http://www.wnem.com/video?autoStart=...clipId=6414405

There is officially a $10,000 reward out for information leading to the arrest and conviction of thoes involved or the recovery of the girls remains.

The yearbook picture that friends and family DO NOT think is her is on her Charley project page. Weird.

I agree about the mouth - the mystery picture is a mary tyler moore mouth. It does not fit Pam's known picture.

31 October 1969 was a Friday. The Moon phase was waning to Half.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
    The yearbook picture that friends and family DO NOT think is her is on her Charley project page. Weird.

I agree about the mouth - the mystery picture is a mary tyler moore mouth. It does not fit Pam's known picture.
    I sent an e-mail to Meaghan at CharleyProject to ask her to remove the photo. I also sent her the other newspaper photos of Pamela and Patricia from above in this thread, and asked her to add those to their casefiles.

I'm interested in helping out

Interesting case, and I'd like to assist. Can anyone pls send links to any / all photos- where the photos were found?

Also, it's a good 2.5 walk from the HS to downtown Oscoda- and Oscoda is damned cold by H'ween. Reports say they were walking to one of the victims' homes, but where was that? Was it ever determined they'd made it that far?

If they were last seen at 2pm, has it been determined that's around the time they skipped school? It's close to when school let out, so there's a lapse in logic as to why two young girls would skip school so late in the day- and I don't ignore their frame of mind or naivete. I'm again referring to the cold. 2.5 miles on a rural road is a long walk to town on a cold day when you are lightly dressed.

I don't know enough yet to go on, but it smells like a crime of opportunity, with the added element of the day of the year to make premed a distinct probability- not that they were premeditated targets, but hunted.

Oscoda's a tiny area- and Wurtsmith was in full ops back in 1969, accounting for probably 30-40% of the population of Oscoda-Au Sable. Wurtsmith had many direct exits from the base into the woods for Air Force outdoorsmen (a primary hobby there), but anybody stopping in town for fun or supplies would use River Rd to go inland.

There's not much to go on that I've seen, so here's what I can add at the moment: I've cleaned up the photos I've found, and made an overlay of the two yearbook photos proving the "other girl" is not Pamela Hobley:

Click to Enlarge

Here's Barbara's photo, overlayed with the image of the other girl found in the yearbook. I flopped her image over, lined up their faces (eyes and chin- jaws are tight in both photos), and animated the image to fade back and forth. The nose on the other girl is far higher, and her forehead and jawline is much wider. Her jawline and lips are reminiscent of Geena Davis, while Pamela's jawline was more narrow and fragile. Also, the frame style is very similar and popular to the time, but not identical. Definitely not the same person.

Again, click to enlarge and to see the animation.

<modsnip>[/url]
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Removing incorrect photo of P Hobley

The mistaken photo was removed from Charley Project a couple of months ago, and I agree that it isn't the same girl. That was my mistake, as I was the one who e-mailed it to Meaghan of Charley Project. I found the uncaptioned photo on page 2 of the 1969 Oscoda HS yearbook. You have to be a paid subscriber to Classmates to see it though.

http://www.classmates.com/yearbooks/...School/117782#

I couldn't find any girls among the portraits with similar glasses, but I think I found the same girl without glasses. Her initials are L.S.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast