Dateline - Nancy Cooper Case Airing 8-19-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madeleine74

Knower of Things
Reaction score
This coming FRIDAY, August 19, Dateline will feature the Nancy Cooper murder. I believe it will be in the second hour of their show, beginning at 10pm EDT and concluding at 11pm EDT.

On NBC

Check your local listings...

The host of this particular segment is Keith Morrison.

With no disrespect intended to either Mr. Morrison, Dateline, or Nancy Cooper, you'll want to watch this:

http://youtu.be/HyWMGKDZIcM

Haha, He is funny during interviews/reports with his mannerisms.

I'm looking forward to watching. I'm not sure what to expect.

The trailer metions interviews with family and friends, making it look like a "Brad did it" story, but the mention of "Did she go running?" sounds like it will be presented as a "Who really did it?" mystery story.

There's no mention of a jury member interview. That would make the story really interesting. I've got a feeling that all of us who has paid attention to the trial will be disappointed in this show.

Just looked on CNN.com to see something about the Memphis 3 possibly getting a new trial and it prompted me to look here to see if there was anything new. So glad I did!! I can't wait to watch this.

From watching past Dateline stories, they tend to be part mystery/who-done-it, part biography of the victim & their life, interviews with family & friends, interviews with investigators and/or the DA and, if they can get them, an interview with jurors.

They seem to like to talk to both sides, but not each side always agrees to an interview. I bet they approached the defendant's parents to interview. If we don't see them it's because they refused the interview. Can't force people to do an interview. No idea if any of the jurors ever decided to participate or not.

The Dateline producer(s) were in Raleigh at the start of the trial and at other points throughout. They had access to the trial video because I saw one of their promo clips showing testimony from the trial.

So yes, this will be interesting to see how they put together the story and how they will tell the tale.

I thought it was a fair representation in the hour that they had. They presented highlights of both sides. I will say this....I was surprised to see Trenkle being interviewed with Kurtz given all of the comments on here about how he wanted nothing to do with Kurtz and hadn't come out in support of BC post trial.

Kurtz got a lot of screen time.
Looking at the show as a whole, subtract the background and bio info, I think the "defense perspective" got more minutes than the "prosecution perspective".

The interview with Kurtz about the computer evidence gives the right vibe.
Paraphrasing....

K: "The evidence was planted."
M: "You allege the evidence was planted?"
K: "I state categorically the evidence was planted"
M:"The police planted the evidence?"
K: "Well... it could have been anyone... ummm... yea.... but planted for sure!"

Actually, the prosecution's side of the story got about 40 minutes of time, the defense around 10, and they spent 5 minutes wrapping it up. You can't just count the prosecutor's voice time as "their side", because it includes Daniels, the friends, and the family. There was a clear break in the show to when they presented both sides.

And I'm glad that Trenkle rumor can be squashed permanently, it was ridiculous when it was first mentioned on here.

I was honestly quite bothered by all the stories they told in the beginning that were disproved throughout the trial. I was really hoping they would only focus on the things that were proven, or that didn't have hard answers.

The 'rumors' had to do with K & T having differences of opinion during the trial, including strategy & who got to talk to the client, & who controlled communication, & a couple other things.

Sitting next to a fellow lawyer on a national TV show, in which the (national) exposure can only help your own business, does not automatically mean K & T are friends or will work together on future cases.

It tells you nothing except they both agreed to sit for an interview & be in the same room at the same time with the cameras rolling & Keith Morrison asking questions. It doesn't quash anything unless they talk about how they worked together and what issues they had. And neither one discussed any of that.

But assume all kinds of meaning, if it floats your boat.

The rumors were not addressed.

I totally missed it! Ugh. Forgot all about it. If anyone has a link to the show online please post!

The 'rumors' had to do with K & T having differences of opinion during the trial, including strategy & who got to talk to the client, & who controlled communication, & a couple other things.

I will tell you point blank, this is categorically false. I know this from speaking to a member of the Cooper team, who read that rumor on this board, and was floored, because it was completely opposite from their group dynamic.

Good for them. That was the rumor floating around at the end of the trial, whether it had merit or not. Trenkle would be a defense attorney I would advise someone to hire if they needed one--I think he did a good job.

I was disappointed that the jurors decided to not do the show. I know Dateline worked them hard trying to convince them. I just wish they would have participated.

$233,116 went to Kurtz, who was paid for 2,429 hours billed.
OMG, that SOB billed us taxpayers for 15 full months of work!!!!
Are you kidding me?
Colin Willoughby made $190,000 for the same 15 months, overseeing 1000's of cases.

What's wrong w/ this picture?

$233,116 went to Kurtz, who was paid for 2,429 hours billed.
OMG, that SOB billed us taxpayers for 15 full months of work!!!!
Are you kidding me?
Colin Willoughby made $190,000 for the same 15 months, overseeing 1000's of cases.

What's wrong w/ this picture?

And I'm willing to bet they spent way more hours on this case than what they billed.

I thought the show covered a lot of ground in the time slot given -- it hit most of the main aspects of the case and showed personal comments and lots of good scenes & pictures. Pretty well-balanced reporting, IMO. It was nice to see one of the heroes, Detective (IIR his title C) Daniels, again. What an amazingly skilled lawman.

And they did let Kurtz talk about what he thought the crux of the case was, etc. It's a shame Trenkle didn't get much on-air time -- no idea whether he was reluctant to comment, or was too busy with his private practice to give it the time, or was edited out due to length. He's a smart guy and I thought a lot of him during the Cooper trial. I would have liked to hear more of his comments... The disadvantages of being 2nd chair, I guess.

I thought KL's comments, when asked what they have told the girls about their parents, were good, especially considering the ages of the girls.... Paraphrasing, "A bad man hurt NancyMom and she is in Heaven; the bad man is in jail for what he did to her. Daddy is on a long business trip sleeping in a tent and has no phone." That's about enuff for their young brains to absorb, considering their ages. They planted the thought about Mommy being in Heaven, and about the bad main being in jail for what he did to their mommy, thereby setting the stage for when they will have to explain more, especially to the older child. She will want to know more soon, IMO.

And the scene at the end with KristaMom and the girls walking down the path shows how much the girls have grown. No babies, they -- now.

JTF - Your mathematical comments about the $$ for Kurtz's time was amazing WRT amount, but not surprising to me. And certainly the jury cost & prolly some other administrative factors did rack up a bit as well.

So I guess subsequent big trials requiring indigent defense will be sorely affected by the Coop trial... It's no wonder the 1st Young trial was busting bad down the train track at breakneck speed. And the re-trial will occur in the same fiscal year, I assume. At least the bulk of the research has already been done for the 1st trial. The next one will prolly be limited to about 4--5 days. (!!)
icon9.gif
It's a shame that Lady Justice may have to operate on a shoestring budget, IMO. It's looks like its "blood from a turnip" time, folks.
icon9.gif
icon8.gif

This is JMHO.

Can't believe I missed this!!! But I was at the beach relaxing and having a wonderful time with my hubby. I'll watch the link Madeline provided and catch up. Thanks Madeline for providing it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991