858 users online (177 members and 681 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812

    Starbucks CEO to DC: You've Been Cut Off

    I like this idea & hope it gets some traction. We need to send the politicians a strong message and guys like this have the power to do it!

    http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/16/news...tt_washington/

    Spurred by what he describes as a failure of leadership on the part of lawmakers, Schultz is mounting a one-man bull rush against a political culture that has "chosen to put partisan and ideological purity over the well being of the people."

    What does that mean? No more political donations -- not for anybody.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,862
    buyer's remorse is tough huh?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    buyer's remorse is tough huh?
    I believe that most folks are feeling this way - regardless of their level of monetary contribution or party affiliation.

    In the midst of one of the worst economic downturns in U.S. history, the next election cycle appears to have already begun in earnest. Rather than seeing our already elected officials (at every level and every party) WORKING to turn it around, they have chosen to begin campaigning for the next election; forgetting entirely WHY they are where they are now.

    Shame on them and shame on us if we allow the status quo to continue.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Am I the only one who thought Starbucks was going to stop serving lattes in the District?

    That might actually get results.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    I dont care if your left or right wing I think most Americans are willing to temper their stance and compromise for the greater good...most of us in the real world dont have the luxury to be complete demagogs...that kind of Idealogical 'purity' like most abstracts looks great on paper but doesnt translate to nuts and bolts reality...life and most situtations are a bit more complicated.Most of tehse politicians Republicans and Democrats alike are a bit sheltered from that reality especially the ones who are playing to the nut fringe of both parties.
    Good for him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,685
    I hope everyone gets on this band wagon! I think I will go buy a coffee!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Starbucks was going to stop serving lattes in the District?

    That might actually get results.
    That's what I thought when I first read the headline, Nova!

    I don't know what to do to get our elected "leaders" to act for the greater good of the country. If cutting off the donations works, then Kudos to Starbucks. Unfortunately, the personal wealth of so many of the higher ups -- and their desire to keep and increase that wealth beyond any human need -- is a tough competitor to beat.

    Higher taxes on the rich!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Starbucks was going to stop serving lattes in the District?

    That might actually get results.


    Lol that is exactly what I thought!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Starbucks was going to stop serving lattes in the District?

    That might actually get results.
    You're right! And not just lattes - but scones too. Let's get 'em where it hurts!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Am I the only one who thought Starbucks was going to stop serving lattes in the District?


    That might actually get results.
    Thats what I thought from the thread title, lol.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    1,416
    Makes me happy to know the money I spend there every day is not being donated to anyones campaign.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    I love this! Hope it catches on all over the place.

    The corporations can probably manage without the politicians for awhile, but we KNOW the pols can't survive without cash flow.

    The money spent on campaigning makes me sick even in a normal economy.

    Seriously, I am going to try to splurge on Starbucks more often and be very vocal about my support of this idea.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    I love this! Hope it catches on all over the place.

    The corporations can probably manage without the politicians for awhile, but we KNOW the pols can't survive without cash flow.

    The money spent on campaigning makes me sick even in a normal economy.

    Seriously, I am going to try to splurge on Starbucks more often and be very vocal about my support of this idea.
    That's just the thing - they SHOULD be able to survive without huge campaign contributions! It's a different world now with social media. I want to see the politicians figure out how to get their messages out without the mud-slinging TV commercials airing every 5 minutes for months! That will prove to me how innovative they are and if they can lead us out of this horrific mess!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    ChIllinois..........brrrrrrrr
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    I believe that most folks are feeling this way - regardless of their level of monetary contribution or party affiliation.

    In the midst of one of the worst economic downturns in U.S. history, the next election cycle appears to have already begun in earnest. Rather than seeing our already elected officials (at every level and every party) WORKING to turn it around, they have chosen to begin campaigning for the next election; forgetting entirely WHY they are where they are now.

    Shame on them and shame on us if we allow the status quo to continue.
    You have just said the very thing that I was thinking the other day. Instead of doing their jobs, they are already concentrating instead on the next elections.

    Oh how I wish we could bring them to term limits, no pension when terms are complete, instead they have to go out and get a freakin' job just like the rest of Americans. I really think that's the only way we are ever going to see them actually working FOR US. They are not running this country any more, they are running it into the ground.

    I'm going to go sit on my hands now, I'm afraid if I say anymore on this topic I will be banned for life X's 1,000,000.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
    You have just said the very thing that I was thinking the other day. Instead of doing their jobs, they are already concentrating instead on the next elections.

    Oh how I wish we could bring them to term limits, no pension when terms are complete, instead they have to go out and get a freakin' job just like the rest of Americans. I really think that's the only way we are ever going to see them actually working FOR US. They are not running this country any more, they are running it into the ground.

    I'm going to go sit on my hands now, I'm afraid if I say anymore on this topic I will be banned for life X's 1,000,000.
    I agree and make offering cash or vacations or gifts or jobs after Capital Hill carry the same penalty as trying to manipulate a Judge's decision with a pay-off.(and frankly...I dont see any difference.)
    Bribery.A Felony. With the appropriate penalties applying to both the briber and the bribie(that probably isnt really a word.)
    Youd find out real quick which politicians are interested in actually representing the constituants who sent them there.
    I have a feeling youd have quite a few seats to fill in short order about the time that went into effect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Funeral Home Gets A Starbucks
    By BetteDavisEyes in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 08:15 PM
  2. Job Cuts at Starbucks
    By Taximom in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 11:07 AM