GUILTY Bolivia - Mennonite Serial Rapes; up to 300 rapes of sedated women & girls

Pandora

Reaction score
There are no words. . . .

"In a criminal trial now under way in nearby Santa Cruz, Peter Weiber, 48, a Mennonite veterinarian, is accused of transforming a chemical meant to anesthetize cows into a spray to be used on humans. For four years, Weiber and eight other Mennonite men allegedly sprayed the chemical through bedroom windows in Manitoba at night, sedating entire families and raping the females. One of the men is a fugitive, the others have pleaded not guilty. If convicted, each faces a maximum 30-year prison sentence."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2087711,00.html#ixzz1VKpBN5Dt

This is horrendous. They all go to prison or none of them go? This doesn't sound good.

I've followed this horrifying story for quite some time and never thought to check to see if we have a thread on it. It appears that we don't. Let me warn you, the scope of these allegations--now convictions--are overwhelming. My heart literally breaks for all the victims as it does not seem as if they are being allowed to seek the help they desperately need.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-14688458

Bolivian Mennonites jailed for serial rapes

"The men, members of a Mennonite group, secretly sedated their victims before the sex attacks. The victims' lawyer said the 2000-strong Mennonite community where the rapes happened welcomed the sentence. The group follows a strict moral code and rejects modern inventions such as cars and electricity...."

and

"...The rapes happened in the Mennonite community of Manitoba, 150km (93 miles) north-east of the city of Santa Cruz. The court heard that the men sprayed a substance derived from the belladonna plant normally used to anaesthetise cows through bedroom windows at night, sedating entire families. They then raped the women and girls. The youngest victim was nine years old...."

and

"...The exact number of those raped is not clear. Some women had no recollection of being raped, while others feared being ostracised in the deeply conservative community, lawyer Oswaldo Rivera said. Mr Rivera said almost 150 had taken part in the trial, but he feared there could be another 150 too ashamed to give evidence. He said some feared they would not be able to find a husband if it was known they had been raped, as women are expected to abstain from sex until marriage...."

Much more at link

And another excellent resource:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Amer...ian-Mennonites-sentenced-to-25-years-for-rape

If you are interested, there's quite a bit of information about this crime available. The saddest thing I read is that the women are expected to see the convictions as closure. They are being told by their husbands and fathers that they do not need help. They speak their sect's traditional German and it is only the men and boys who can converse in Spanish. My heart just breaks for them.

The ghost rapes of Bolivia: women were drugged before being tied up and assaulted in own beds... and they can't even remember what happened

• In 2009, nine men in a Bolivian Mennonite community were jailed for raping at least 100 women and girls
• Gang used a powerful sedative adapted from a tranquilizer to drug households before attacks at Manitoba Colony
• Women were not initially believed despite waking to blood-soaked sheets
• Despite the convictions, it has emerged attacks in the colony have continued

The story at Daily Mail link above. Lengthier look at the case from vice.com here:

The Ghost Rapes of Bolivia: the perpetrators were caught but the crimes continue

What the???? Oh, my...

That is all.

The level of cooperation and planning among the perpetrators is extremely alarming. And I don't doubt that someone has taken over the reins. These poor women and children, and I would guess some men too.

Some women were and are being repeatedly attacked. The three year getting attacked needs to get Bolivian authorities more involved regardless of any relifious beliefs. The article makes it sound like the crimes may not have been reported or taken seriously until rlthe child was so injured that the hospital was necessary.

These closed religious groups can have some of the worst things happening under the guise of something "holy". Sickening. :stormingmad:

I don't think gender equity has reached Bolivia, regardless of the laws they pass or religious orders , to me it much like life in muslim countries sadly, nothing will be done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back