MS MS - Pascagoula, Wht/HispMale 25-36, UP4735, may be from TX, scars, tattoos: 'John', bird, Jun'01

Richard

Reaction score
Unidentified Caucasian or Hispanic Male

The victim was discovered on June 18, 2001 in Jackson County, Mississippi, near the Alabama State Line.
Date of death is estimated to have been 2 days prior to discovery.
Manner of death was homicide.

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 25 - 35 years old (described as middle-aged)
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'7"; 250 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: His hair was shaved close to the head and described as dark brown with a small amount of gray. His eye color is unknown. He had an old scar on the center of his forehead, a possible old gunshot wound to his left wrist and a scar on the left side of his nose.
Dentals: N/A
Clothing: XL running shorts, XL warm up pants and a T-Shirt.
Tattoos: He had several tattoos, including a tattoo of a large bird, possibly a peacock or phoenix on his right shoulder, no color with a long feather and a couple of flowers, tattoo "John" on right upper chest, an old english script E or F on inside of left forearm.
DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was found on June 18, 2001, wrapped in a carpet remnant and a blanket on the side of the road, by a passerby who was walking along the road.
In 2004, there were new developments in the case. These developments include DNA evidence found on the carpet and blanket the body was wrapped in.
Authorities are awaiting the results of DNA samples, and they hope the results will identify the victim.
An arrest has been made in the homicide. In August, 2004, Steven Leon Andrews, 26, was arrested and charged with capital murder of the unidentified man.
Investigators believe the victim was from Texas and the motive for the killing was robbery.

If you have any information about this case please contact:
Jackson County Sheriff's Department, Capt. Mick Sears, 228-769-3063

Agency Case Number: 01-3685
NCIC Number: U-540002695
The Doe Network: Case File 429UMMS

Link
429UMMS http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/429umms.html

I think it would be beneficial to have a Missing and Unidentified Hispanic Registry. I am sure there are many Hispanic people in the US and Mexico etc... who have missing relatives they cannot find. Most information is in English therefore limiting the ability for those unable to speak English to understand the info.

North Carolina would certainly benefit. We have large farming communities where no English is spoken by migrant workers.

Updating with a working link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/429umms.html
429UMMS.jpg

429UMMSJohn.jpg
429UMMSPeacock.jpg
429UMMSTat.jpg

I was wondering if he could be this guy:
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9102/285
I know it doesn't mention any tattoos and I was going to e-mail the officer mentioned on The Doe Network just in case, but I never have so I wasn't sure what to say.
Looks good, but I notice the scars are different and no mention of tattoos on the missing man. Could be an oversight, but on the Namus profile they mention a scar on his lip and a mole on his shoulder; surely they'd mention tattoos if he had them. JMO.

ETA: Oops, somehow I missed that you mentioned the lack of tattoos. Anyway, still might be worth a shot.

Yeah, I did notice that. Not really a lot of similarities when it comes to that but it has been a while so I figure any shot is worth taking. I do agree with you though, very doubtful because it should add up more.

Edit: Sent it in. I will continue to look for any more possible matches. :)

I think this man's name is either "john e" or "john f" and is a drifter.

If he was hispanic, and his name is John, do you think it is possible if his family were to report him missing, they may say his name is Juan? Just my thought.

Yeah, I did notice that. Not really a lot of similarities when it comes to that but it has been a while so I figure any shot is worth taking. I do agree with you though, very doubtful because it should add up more.

Edit: Sent it in. I will continue to look for any more possible matches. :)

Thank you for sending him in! Please keep updated! Despite some differences he seems like such a good match!!

I think that letter is more likely an L than it is E or F. Usually the bottom of the F curls back and the E is more elaborate. But it can be really hard to tell.

I think the idea of him being a drifter is a good possibility. I also think the Old English tattoo is most likely an 'L'. If you google image search old English script you can see images of the entire alphabet.
I haven't received a reply from Mick Sears, the captain listed on The Doe Network. Sears might not even work there anymore but the only other contact information listed is a phone number and I am extremely phone shy/anxious.

I think this man's name is either "john e" or "john f" and is a drifter.

I agree that he was likely a drifter, but I don't know whether it's his own name in the tattoo. People do get their own names, but it seems like people more often get ink with the names of people significant to them. So I'd think it was more likely to be a father, brother, son, friend, partner, lover, mentor, etc.

I totally agree, carbuff. I have seen some people with their own names, but it's definitely more likely to be the name of someone close to him. Could be wrong though, just my opinion.

What about this guy?
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/439/

There are some differences with the scars and tattoos and height, but he went missing from the Mississippi coast. He doesn't seem to be Hispanic, but I don't think the Namus profile for the Doe says anything about being Hispanic either.

429UMMS
429UMMS.jpg
429UMMS2.jpg
429UMMS3.jpg

Date of Discovery: June 18, 2001
Location of Discovery: Pascagoula, Jackson County, Mississippi
Estimated Date of Death: 2 days prior
State of Remains: Unknown
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 25-35 years old (described as middle-aged)
Race: White and/or Hispanic
Height: 5'5" to 5'7"
Weight: 250 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark brown, graying and shaved close to the head.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Piercing scar on his left earlobe. A C-shaped scar on his left eyebrow. An old scar on the center of his forehead. A possible old gunshot wound to his left wrist. A scar on the left side of his nose. Several tattoos including a large bird, possibly a phoenix or peacock, on his right shoulder, with a long feather and a couple of flowers and no color; John in cursive on his right upper chest; and an old English script E or F on the inside of his left forearm.

Identifiers
Dentals: Unavailable.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Running shorts (size XL), warm-up pants (size XL), and a T-shirt.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
A passerby walking down the road found the victim wrapped in a carpet remnant and a blanket on the side of the road.

In August 2004, Steven Leon Andrews, 26, was arrested and charged with capital murder of the unidentified man.

Investigators believe the victim was from Texas and the motive for the killing was robbery.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Jackson County Sheriff's Department
Agency Contact Person: Capt. Mick Sears
Agency Phone Number: 228-769-3063
Agency Case Number: 01-3685

Agency Name: Crimestoppers
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 1-800-433-TIPS

NCIC Case Number: U540002695
NamUs Case Number: UP #4735

Information Source(s)
NamUs
ViCAP
Jackson County Sheriff's Department

Admin Notes
Added: Prior to 2015; Last Updated: 6/21/2020

I'm unsure about him being a drifter, the clothes just don't fit that theory in my opinion.
Also if he was a drifter, would someone go through all that trouble to dispose of him, in a carpet and blanket? Maybe he wasn't local but theres nothing to say that he wasn't just visiting or vacationing in or around the area. Would it be worth checking motels/hotels in the surrounding area to see if someone skipped out on a bill?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back