925 users online (179 members and 746 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA Photographer refuses to take senior pics for bullies

INDIANA COUNTY, Pa. -- An Indiana County photographer has decided not to shoot senior pictures for a group of high school girls she saw bullying and harassing other students online.

"I don't want to photograph them, I don't want them to be a part of my business image and I don't want them on my blog," Jennifer McKendrick told Channel 4 Action News' Ashlie Hardway.

McKendrick said she saw four high school seniors bullying other kids on an anonymous Facebook page that went beyond just name-calling.

"It was beyond 'your clothes are ugly' or 'you don't have any brand clothes' or 'you are ugly, your hair is not right.' It was vicious. It was talking about sexuality," McKendrick said.

She told Hardway that she was supposed to take the girls' senior portraits.

Instead of taking their pictures, McKendrick took screen shots of the online comments and sent them to her clients' parents, saying she saw their children's behavior on the Internet and was canceling their sessions and refunding their $200 deposits.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/high-school-play...z1VgsytJE2More at link: http://www.wtae.com/high-school-play...76/detail.html

It's her business, she should be able to have the clientele she wants.

Well, here is my thought, if the parents of these bullies aren't willing to face and correct these issues w/I their children, the public should be allowed to. "it takes a village"

I appreciate what this photog is doing, but I'm the parent of a child being bullied.
    "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." - James Dewar

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    awesome! glad to see her stand up for what's right & hopefully those students learn from this

What was she doing on the kids facebook pages to start with?

Looking for an "incident" to make a "stand" so as to get some free publicity?

Quote Originally Posted by Tugela View Post

Kids get their senior pictures taken with lots of different props and backgrounds these days. Perhaps she was looking to see what their interests were so she could have appropriate props, etc., available when they came for their sittings?

If this photographer has a Facebook page and the girls "liked" it or "friended" the photographer, whatever activities they are involved in would be viewable to the photographer... and I applaud her for taking a stand against the bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    It's her business, she should be able to have the clientele she wants.
    Exactly. Good for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugela View Post

If the bullies did not "like" or "friend" her that wouldn't happen.

Good for her. Hopefully more people will do things like this. I also think it was a good way to bring the teenagers' behavior to the attention of their parents. I don't know how anyone can fault this woman for what she did. jmo
    "Crack up the music and dance!"

Love love love. Thank you Jennifer for taking a stand. I like when action is taken. Sometimes I think the "anti-bullying" campaigns are just all talk.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiogirl View Post
    Good for her. Hopefully more people will do things like this. I also think it was a good way to bring the teenagers' behavior to the attention of their parents. I don't know how anyone can fault this woman for what she did. jmo

BBM

I agree with you ohiogirl. But as for your last sentence bolded above, you can bet some people will.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Is this legal?
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

I think this is pretty awesome. Especially since it must have cost her a pretty penny to give back $212 per person in a group.

While at first I balked at the thought that she may have looked up her clients online, I suppose it isn't all that strange or abnormal to do. She's working one-on-one with these people, and a lot of people do research, background checks, etc prior to hiring or other things. It wouldn't have happened if the clients had their facebooks marked private... but they let it out in the public, it's their own faults if somebody looked them up or found them. It's not a crime to look at things put out to the public, no matter what the photographer's reasons for looking were...

Michaela Garecht | Misty Copsey | Scott Kleeschulte | Kyron Horman | Baby Kate | Mickey Shunick

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    Is this legal?
    Yes. It is. Not only that, it's very moral, IMO.

Wish there were more adults out there who would take a stand in such a manner and hold kids accountable for evil behavior. Boy would we have a better world if they did!
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast