1229 users online (208 members and 1021 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Researchers identify cause of ALS disease

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...l-types-of-als

Researchers Say They've Found Common Cause of All Types of ALS

Might lead one day to new treatments for the condition, also called Lou Gehrig's disease

Posted: August 21, 2011

In this new study, Northwestern University researchers said they found that the basis of ALS is a malfunctioning protein recycling system in the neurons of the brain and spinal cord...

This problem occurs in all three types of ALS: hereditary, sporadic and ALS that targets the brain, the researchers said.
    More at link. This is good news. I hope that it gives many families renewed hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post

Might lead one day to new treatments for the condition, also called Lou Gehrig's disease

More at link. This is good news. I hope that it gives many families renewed hope.
    I hope and pray they find a cure for this terrible disease. A dear friend of mine lost her fiance to this, and it was horrible.

This is good news. Thanks for posting it, Kat. ALS is the disease I fear getting the most, even over cancer. I have known two people who have died from it and, as kgeaux said, it is horrible!
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

Thank you for posting this Kat, my Mom lost her dearest friend to this horrible disease. How nice it would be to eradicate such a wretched thing.
    Justice failed Caylee Marie!!

Please bring Haleigh home!

Horrible disease. I saw some of this while working/volunteering at the hospital here.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Kat. A business acquaintance of mine is entering the last stages of this disease now. I feel so sorry for what has happened to her. This is good news, though.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Let's hope so! I hope the funding is there to get it all worked out soon! Glad to see science is actually working on cures for things other than hair loss and erectile dysfunction! ugh..
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Awful disease. My great uncle lost his first wife and two of his three sons with her to ALS. A cure would be so wonderful.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

This is certainly encouraging. My Dad died from ALS in 1995. His was the sporadic type. It is a cruel, horrid disease. It was most difficult watching a man who was at one time a strong able bodied farmer wither away to nothing. His mind was still sharp as a tack buy his body was rendered useless.

The worst part was how he actually died. It was a beautiful day in mid-September. They lived on the edge of the golf course. Dad told Mom to go ahead and play a round of golf with some of her lady friends. So, she did.

Well, they were on the call list for Com Ed in case for any reason they were going to shut down the electric, they were SUPPOSED to call them 24 hours in advance, which would have been fine since Mom and Dad had a portable breathing unit for him. So, when Mom got to the 3rd green (they lived right off the 3rd green,) she popped in to check on him. Well, while she had been away for that fairly short amount of time, Com Ed had shut down a block or so away to do something on the lines, (they had not phoned them as they were supposed to have) and there he was, he had passed because his breathing machine had stopped.

I can't even begin to tell you what that did to my Mom. I know how it haunted me and she was worse as she blamed herself. Can't tell you how many sleepless nights I had on account of it. Once it would get in my head I just could not get it to go away. Mom still beats herself up about it to this day.

Okay, gotta stop now, it still makes me bawl when I get thinking about it.

That's awful, TallCoolOne. So sorry that a cruel disease had to be made even worse by the carelessness of the electric company.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

((((TallCoolOne)))).....thank you so much for sharing your story. Why does this happen when the care giver has taken a few hours to do something they enjoy? Please pass on the hug to your Mom (I just know she has to be a sweetheart.....)
    "Something's not right with that girl" - Jose Baez during Opening Statement

My post may only be used on Websleuths. Thanks.

All post are my opinion and speculation only and are not meant as anything else.......so unless I'm quoting MSM, take it for what it's worth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post

Thank you Kat for this encouraging news!

My husband's father died of ALS when hubby was just 18.

My BIL died last year from ALS.

We still don't know if my hubby's father contracted the disease during his WWII service in Guam or it was heriditery as my BIL came down with the disease a few years ago. The island had an unusually large population with ALS, and many servicemen developed the disease.

Tallcoolone...I'm so sorry for your mother. I hope she can forgive herself, it was not her fault!

It will be great when the ALS diagnosis will not be called a 'terminal' disease, but a treatable disease.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

I'm so sorry Tallcoolone. We lost my mother-in-law to ALS. We were "fortunate" in that within two weeks of starting to have mobility problems, she was gone. She did not suffer from it for years as a friend of ours did.
    There is Good Grief. Just ask Charlie Brown.

My husband lost his battle with this monster in 2004. I am sitting here bawling with joy over this news. Will write more when I get myself together.
    Justice for Caylee

"We have a different stage. We have the same actress," Sheaffer said.

Oh this is certainly positive!

It is a horrible disease........you are simply a prisoner in your own body.
    [/I]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast