Deceased/Not Found CA - Evelyn Throsby Scott, 63, Los Angeles, 16 May 1955 *E Scott guilty*

Laura_Bean

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts! I know what happened to Evelyn, but no one will listen or do anything about it. Here are the facts.

The Doe Network:
Case File 2476DFCA

Evelyn Throsby Scott
Missing since May 16, 1955 from Los Angeles, California
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Age at Time of Disappearance: 63 years old
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. White hair. Glasses.
•Dentals: Dentures.
•AKA: Evelyn Throsby Mumper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
In May 1955, Evelyn Scott disappeared from her home in the Bel Air neighborhood of Los Angeles. She was never found or heard from again.
On the afternoon of May 16, 1955, the Scotts test drove a new car and Scott told the salesman that the couple was considering living abroad, either in Spain or Portugal. Aside from Scott, the salesman was the last person to see Evelyn Scott alive.
Her husband never filed a missing persons report and rebuffed questions from friends and relatives about where she might be, saying that she had run off or he had put her in a sanitarium to cure her alleged alcoholism. The matter only became public in March 1956, when her brother E. Raymond Throsby filed a petition asking to be appointed guardian of her estate.
Searching the house and its landscaped grounds, the police found some objects: in the incinerator were metal snaps from a woman's underclothing, and carelessly buried under a heap of leaves on an adjoining lot were false teeth and eyeglasses later identified as Evelyn Scott's.
Evelyn's friends suspected that Ewing Scott, her fifth husband, had killed her for her money. Her husband offered various explanations for her absence, but apparently convinced few.
During the six years between her wedding to Scott and her disappearance, Evelyn Throsby Scott cashed some $223,000 worth of securities, in addition to drawing about $180,000 in income from her estate. When she disappeared, there was a lot of money lying around in a dozen-odd bank accounts and safe-deposit boxes. According to subsequent testimony, Scott, using forged signatures, helped himself liberally to the money.
After two years as a fugitive, he was arrested and, despite the absence of a body, was tried, convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment, all the while insisting not only on his innocence but that his wife was not dead. Scott was released in 1978. He died in 1987.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Los Angeles Police Department

Source Information:
Los Angeles Times

And here is what became of her.

Unsolved Mysteries Redux - Unexplained Deaths - Island Ashes - YouTube

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have called the Los Angeles Police Dept, and they say they dont have the time or the resources to check into something that old and insignificant. I think that is ridiculous. 1 quick trip to the island, 1 DNA test, and boom. That is all they would have to do and this family could bury what is left of poor Evelyn.

I know it has to be. Both the incinerator and the box of ashes have the same snaps from undergarments from the same yr, both have false teeth, etc, etc, etc. Too much coincidence to be coincidence. Can we find Evelyn's family members and see if they can put some pressure to get the police dept to check it? They have a right to have Evelyn's remains found and if the police have a tip they have to follow right? Just trying to think what to do here. :banghead:

That was more in-depth thank u. Thing is tho. we really dont know what Evelyn was wearing when she died, because she wasnt reported missing for a long time. I believe that the answer is to see if the snaps found in the incinerator at her home match the ones in the can of ashes, (time period matches but do the snaps match too?), and I am sure she probably owned more than one pair of false teeth. She was rich, so she probably had at least 2 pairs. Just a thought.

I wish I had some suggestions for you. The thing is, I don't know how to advise you on what to do next. You've already called LAPD. I know how frustrating it is to call LE and get an answer like that. What angers me is that they said they don't have time for something that "old and insignificant!" I wouldn't say it is insignificant to any remaining family Evelyn has who are still looking for answers. You did the right thing by calling the LAPD, but I honestly don't know what the next step would be. I know they are overwhelmed with current cases. They just don't seem to have time for many of the old cases, which is a shame, because most of the time there are STILL family members waiting for a resolution and wanting to give their loved one a proper burial. Thanks for trying.

I think if we could find some family members of Evelyn, that local LE in the area would have to go and check those ashes. I really think it's her, in that can.

If Evelyn had money I'm sure she would have had a Will, that might contain relatives names. Just an idea. All Wills in England are available for viewing after a person has died or presumed dead.

i agree that finding any surviving family members might be the key to get the ball rolling. i don't see how it would take that much time and $ for the LAPD to simply check it out. if it solves the mystery of what happened to Evelyn, then it's a huge win for them. Good luck, Laura_Bean and please let us know if anything happens with this!

Try the other end. Call Santa Cruz and let them know about this case. Perhaps if they call LAPD, they'd hear a different story.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-091209_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-091209_Firefox.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220804-091148_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-091148_Firefox.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 7
Interesting (and sad) find.

I don’t think it’s Evelyn though, based on height (UID: 5’3, Evelyn: 5’6), eye color( hazel vs blue) and the decedent’s ‘long gray braid’.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back