Kids lose "bad mother" lawsuit.

IWannaKnow

Reaction score
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/pare...ver-bad-birthday-cards-2536188/?pg=7#comments

Kids lose "bad mother" lawsuit. Can't take mom to court over bad birthday cards.

Did you know you can sue your parents for skimping out on your childhood birthday gifts? You can, but you'll probably lose. Two years after Steven and Kathryn Miner, both in their 20s, sued their mother, Kimberly Garrity, for bad parenting during their formative years, the case has been dismissed. The $500,000 lawsuit accused 55-year-old Garrity of causing her adult kids emotional distress.

The Miners were raised in an affluent Chicago suburb which may account for some lack of understanding of normal privileges outside of their luxury bubble. But there's more to the story than just a couple of spoiled adult kids. One of the Miner siblings' three lawyers is their father, Garrity's ex-husband, also named Steven Miner. When the couple divorced in 1995, the kids moved in with their dad.

Birthday cards without checks?!?!?!? Oh the horror!

Reactions: JDG
"Such alleged actions are unpleasant and perhaps insensitive, and some would arguably fall outside the realm of 'good mothering,' but they are not so shocking as to form a basis for a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress," said Judge Kathy Flanagan in a court statement...

Are you kidding me. The judge knows these are ridiculous claims, but practically pats them on the backs and acknowledges what they're saying. Alleged actions are unpleasant and insensitive? Because she insisted on seatbelts or didn't send money with the card?? Judge makes it sound like the only reason they didn't win is because it would "open the floodgates" for others.

These 'kids' don't know how good they had it. My mother used to whip me with a leather belt, made me cook and wash dishes, hang laundry outside on a clothes line, iron, weed the garden, take care of my baby sister, vacuum and sweep the floor, dust, water plants. I wanted a cassette player for years but I never got one. I had hand-me-down coats. Wonder how far my lawsuit would get? LOL

In this economy since I have retired, I am spending both of my daughters' inheiritance! They do still get checks in their birthday cards, though, and they are grown.

This was a ridiculous lawsuit!

unbelievable! as someone who has lost a parent, they should be thankful they have a mother at all.

These 'kids' don't know how good they had it. My mother used to whip me with a leather belt, made me cook and wash dishes, hang laundry outside on a clothes line, iron, weed the garden, take care of my baby sister, vacuum and sweep the floor, dust, water plants. I wanted a cassette player for years but I never got one. I had hand-me-down coats. Wonder how far my lawsuit would get? LOL

Do we have the same parents?

unbelievable! as someone who has lost a parent, they should be thankful they have a mother at all.

Send them to their rooms. Next they'll want mom and dad to pay for their health insurance until they're 26 yrs old.

In this economy since I have retired, I am spending both of my daughters' inheiritance! They do still get checks in their birthday cards, though, and they are grown.

This was a ridiculous lawsuit!

No, you are spending your own money. Go ahead, we deserve it and we only live once. :cool:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back