UT UT - Bear River City, WhtMale 20-40, UP9221, On Bank of Canal, red/auburn hair, Jun'81

webrocket

Reaction score
here is a UID who just was entered into Namus. He was a WM, 20-40, 5'8", 177 lbs, red/auburn hair with brownish sideburns, green eyes, found dead in a canal in Box Elder County, UT on June 15, 1981. not clear how red the hair was as opposed to brown.

they say they have photos but same have not been uploaded yet. UID is not in Doe Network:

https://identifyus.org/cases/9221

there is a missing person, Dale Kelley, from Carmichael, CA, last known alive on May 20, 1981. Dale was 21 years old, had brown hair, green eyes, 5'10" and weighed about 165 lbs.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5667/0/

neither Dale nor the UID had any distinguishing marks on their bodies.

only real downside I see is that Dale was supposedly always clean shaven and the UID had a mustache. not clear if Dale had any sideburns as his hair was long in his pictures.

the body was found less than 4 weeks after Dale was last seen.

This case sure seems like one that could be solvable. The remains were found only days after the EDD with a recognizable face yet there is no sketch. Also, DNA has not been submitted. I understand that exhumations are expensive (and not possible if he were cremated) but it seems like this case shouldn’t have stayed unidentified with no rule outs for all of this time (found in ‘81, added to NamUs in 2011).

“Dental records were compared with Gary Sizemore and ? DeWald. Neither was a match.”

This is listed on his NamUs Page.

There is still no recon. I hope that they have one soon. I have no idea if they have DNA by now. Hopefully they do and can add it to the system (and to DNA Doe maybe?)

Bear River City John Doe

Date Discovered: Monday, June 15th, 1981
Discovery Location: Bear River City, Box Elder County, Utah

Physical Description:

Race: Caucasian
Sex: Male
Height: 5’8” (68”)
Weight: 177 lbs.
Hair: Red/Auburn, w/ long reddish-brown side burns
Eye Color: Green
Clothing: Found nude

Misc. Items:
Jewelry:
Characteristics
/Medical/Scars:
Condition of Remain:
Recognizable face
Transportation:
Postmortem Interval:
Days
Estimated Year of Death: 1981
Fingerprint Status: Not Available
Dental Status: Available
DNA Status: Not Available

Circumstances:
The unidentified man was found 1.5 west of Bear River City, Box Elder Co, Utah nude on the bank of a canal with multiple superficial wounds.
*Facial photos are available and will be uploaded later*

Investigating Agencies:
Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office
52 S 1000 W
Brigham City, UT 84302
Tele: 435.734.3885 / 435.734.3818
UID Case # 198100500
Web:
http://www.boxeldercounty.org/sheriff.htm

Information Sources:
NAMUS
UID Case # UP9221: Unidentified Person Case
Case Manager: Dustin Driscoll
Tele: 817.240.4106
E-Mail: dustin.driscoll@unthsc.edu

Never mind I missed it when I was skimming through it.

Still no photographs on NamUs for this one even though they allegedly have some.

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP9221
Male, White / Caucasian

Date Body Found: June 15, 1981
Location Found: Bear River City, Utah
Estimated Age: Adult - Pre 40; 20-40
Estimated PMI: Days
Measured Height: 5' 8"
Measured Weight: 177 lbs
Hair Color: Red/Auburn

Facial Hair: Reddish-brown long sideburns & mustache

Circumstances of Recovery: Was found nude on bank of canal with multiple superficial incised wounds present. Facial photos are available and will be uploaded at a later date.

Circumstance Notes: Dental records were compared with Gary Sizemore and ? DeWald. Neither was a match.

“Dental records were compared with Gary Sizemore and ? DeWald. Neither was a match.”

This is listed on his NamUs Page.

There is still no recon. I hope that they have one soon. I have no idea if they have DNA by now. Hopefully they do and can add it to the system (and to DNA Doe maybe?)

Nothing new, nobody listed as ruled out besides Sizemore and DeWald mentioned in the notes.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I just emailed NamUs to see if they can get those photos added.
Also I'm wondering what COD is? It states the incised wounds are superficial. I would assume since the mentioned the superficial wounds that they would've mentioned any other significant trauma.
I have located the sketch made of John Doe that was distributed by Box Elder County. The sketch has been added to his Utah state cold case database profile now as well.

Attachments

• Sketch.jpg
    Sketch.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 9
Bear River City is tiny. I’ve been there before and it’s pretty much a gas station, a cemetery, a park, and a library (they do have a pretty cool 24th of July celebration to be fair). Google says that the population in 2021 was 891.
The population in 1980 was around 540. If he was found on the bank of a canal I wonder if he floated in.
I am also curious about any newspaper accounts from the area, hopefully they asked around town to see if anyone had even seen him before.

Maybe Timothy S. McCarty? Originally from Polk, OH, was last seen in Castro (Valley?), California June 3, 1981. A blog post claiming to be from a family member says that Timothy ran away from home following getting caught using marijuana with his friends. He went to California, where he contacted his aunt to stay overnight and for money. He fled his aunt's house the middle of the night since a family friend who was a cop came over the night he was staying over.

If he was trying to get back to Ohio from California it's reasonable to say he could have been traveling through Utah. Maybe he was afraid to go home, hence what happened to him.

Picture below seems like it was taken during high school, so a few years prior to his disappearance. I could see him possibly growing a mustache and sideburns in the time being.

1673048327186.png1673048376906.png

Vital statistics also match:

Sex: Male
Race: White/Caucasian
Height: 5' 5" - 5' 8" (65 - 68 Inches)
Weight: 125 - 130 lbs
Hair Color: Brown (would turn lighter in the summertime)
Scar/mark: Light scar on upper part of lip

No mention of scar on upper lip but maybe it was covered by the mustache?

"Grave Yields Body, But Whose?" The Salt Lake Tribune, July 15 1981, pg 35. 1981 John Doe

"The body of an unidentified man was buried at a Brigham City cemetery, said a spokesman for Box Elder County sheriff's department."

Looks like he was buried at the Brigham City Cemetery. His grave is unmarked.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdward01
Back