TN TN - Roane Co, I-40, WhtMale 21-35, UP1572, auto accid, trk stolen fr Palm Springs, CA, map, Jan'86

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
1833UMTN
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1833umtn.html
NamUs UP Case 1572 https://identifyus.org/cases/1572

No Image Available

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on January 5, 1986 in Roane County, Tennessee
Estimated Date of Death: 2-4 Days
State of Remains: Recognizable Face

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 21-30 years old
Dentals: Available; fillings present
DNA: No sample available to submit

Case History
The victim was located after an automobile accident off of I-40, in Roane County, Tennessee on January 5, 1986.

I saw this guy's casefile added today to Charley:

Steven Douglas Bunch
bunch_steven.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bunch_steven.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5617/0

There is not much info on the UID to compare. However, the age and race are consistent, and the timeframe is very close (7 days from DLC to Discovery with an approximate 2-4 day postmortem interval).

The distance from Covington KY to Roane County TN is about 290 miles.

I see that the UID is in CODIS, but from the notation in Steven’s NamUs DNA section indicates “available but not submitted”.

I sent off an e-mail to Todd Matthews to see if these cases have ever been compared.

Interesting cases Carl, nothing really to exclude this MP... quite a few possibilities on what may have occured to the MP.

What strikes me regarding the UID. The manner of death was an automobile accident, so why no information on the vehicle involved in the accident? Was the uid the driver or a passenger? Very odd more information about the accident was not included in the doenet or NamUs info.

Could it have been a hit and run accident and they don't know the vehicle? There should be some clothing info as well IMO. People don't usually get into car accidents undressed and it was not enough time for the clothing to disintegrate.

recognizable face for the UID but no height or weight?

The thing that makes it puzzling is the PM interval. It could be auto vs. pedestrian hit & run, but he would have to have been knocked to the side of the road out of view. But it also could have been a Grateful Dead Jason scenario - a hitchhiker in a car that crashed into an area not visible to traffic. Or it could have been a stolen car.

The thing that makes it puzzling is the PM interval. It could be auto vs. pedestrian hit & run, but he would have to have been knocked to the side of the road out of view. But it also could have been a Grateful Dead Jason scenario - a hitchhiker in a car that crashed into an area not visible to traffic. Or it could have been a stolen car.

I wish that information was added to the UID's profile. It would certainly help researching who he might be.

His NamUs page has been updated to include the information that he was driving a car stolen from Palm Springs, CA and had a hand drawn map of that city. It also says he has a tattoo on his right forearm but it doesn't say what kind of tattoo.

0 missing person exclusions listed on NamUs

I came across this missing person earlier and I wish there was more info about his disappearance. The mention here of Riverside County caught my eye. There’s just such a large gap in the time line. 1977 to 1986...

Ode Edwin Ulver – The Charley Project

I couldn’t find any newspaper articles about this accident.

JMHO -- if the deceased had a hand-drawn map of Palm Springs -- he wasn't from Palm Springs.

The car was stolen -- who owned it, when was it reported stolen, how was it stolen?

Envelope addressed to a man in Palm Springs? Just what did that man have to say about the whole thing:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Interesting!

Last edited:
The accident after fleeing in a stolen car reminds me of John Lindberg Scott who just got his name back after 44 years.
Makes me hopeful this guy will also be IDd eventually

0 missing person exclusions listed on NamUs

I came across this missing person earlier and I wish there was more info about his disappearance. The mention here of Riverside County caught my eye. There’s just such a large gap in the time line. 1977 to 1986...

Ode Edwin Ulver – The Charley Project
Is there a link for the person you’re referring to?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back