CO - College co-ed loses both legs "train hopping"

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
College student, 17, loses both her legs in horrific accident as she and friends tried to jump on moving train
A 17-year-old college student's legs were severed at the knees after she fell while attempting to jump on a moving train on Monday.

Authorities said the Colorado State University student was 'train hopping' with three males between the ages of 17 and 20 when she slipped on the northbound Burlington Northern Santa Fe train around 1:35pm.

The teenager's name and condition have not yet been released.
---
Authorities said the 100-car train was travelling at 18mph when the incident occurred near the intersection of 3rd Avenue and Atwood Street [near Longmont].
---
more, with pictures and video, at Daily Mail link above

I read about this earlier. I'm sorry to hear she has lost both of her legs, but she should have known better than to do this.

I think I read in another article that one or two of the other people she was with got tickets for trespassing. Let me go look up the link and I will post it.

ETA: Here is the link and part of the story:

Police and an official from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway interviewed the two men on scene. Police ticketed the two for trespassing.

http://www.timescall.com/ci_18828041

The pic of the friend with blood all over him comforting the other guy is heart wrenching. Yes, she should have known better but a lot of kids think they are invincible. I know I did. I'm still not sure how I survived my teenage years. I did some pretty stupid stuff. I'm praying that she recovers and I will also pray for the people who witnessed this.

tragic but it could've been worse of course ...

hope she can recover & continue with her education eventually

The pic of the friend with blood all over him comforting the other guy is heart wrenching. Yes, she should have known better but a lot of kids think they are invincible. I know I did. I'm still not sure how I survived my teenage years. I did some pretty stupid stuff. I'm praying that she recovers and I will also pray for the people who witnessed this.

I didn't mean to sound uncaring when I said she should have known better. It's a wonder I made it through my teenage years and early twenties.

I agree that picture is heart wrenching. I used to live close to the railroad tracks where this happened, so it really hits home for me.

What tragic consequences to spend a lifetime living with all because of a a stupid decision made in the blush of "invincible" youth. So very sad that this girl's life will be forever changed.

Many of us as teens and young adults made stupid decisions. Many of us were lucky not to have suffered dire consequences as a result. This girl's mistake will haunt her forever, the shoulda woulda coulda's. My heart hurts for her.

Daily Mail, with a tabloid follow-up:

911 tape reveals horrific moment 17-year-old college student lost her legs as she tried to jump on moving train

The tape of the 911 call which captures the chaotic moments after a 17-year-old college student severed her legs at the knees while attempting to jump aboard a moving train was released today.
In the recording a female paramedic, who had been driving past the scene before stopping and calling for help, can be heard screaming repeatedly: 'Do not move her!'

Anna Beninati, a Colorado State University freshman majoring in music, was 'train hopping' with three males between the ages of 17 and 21 when she slipped and fell beneath the steel wheels of a freight train in Longmont, just north of Denver.
---
more, with pictures, video, 911 excerpt, at link above

So sad. She was majoring in dance. :( My thoughts are with her and her family today.

So sad. She was majoring in dance. :( My thoughts are with her and her family today.

The article above states major in music and art....mentioning doing "projects" quickly, which would fit those two majors. She should be able to continue doing both of those after her recovery.

jmo

The video stated she was majoring in dance as well. Perhaps I misunderstood what was said.

Still sad though.

Just awful, I am glad that she survived at all. To the rescuers that got involved while waiting for the train to be gone, I applaude you for getting involved. Good samaratins are a dying breed. I hope the girl can forgive herself-I hate when people have to pay for mistakes the rest of their lives! I have done the train hopping w my brother as kids, it is like an art to not get hurt.

Just awful, I am glad that she survived at all. To the rescuers that got involved while waiting for the train to be gone, I applaude you for getting involved. Good samaratins are a dying breed. I hope the girl can forgive herself-I hate when people have to pay for mistakes the rest of their lives! I have done the train hopping w my brother as kids, it is like an art to not get hurt.

I hope she heals too. Although, luckily she survived. It could have been much worse, and she might not have lived.

'She is very, very, very pale,' the first EMT says. 'She is alert. She is talking. Now she is crying.'
The dispatcher asks: 'What part of her leg was amputated? At the ankle? At the knee?'
She replies: 'Left side is amputated right below the hip.'
Miss Beninati hears this and begins to sob uncontrollably.
'Oh, I am sorry, I am sorry,' the EMT tells her. 'I shouldn't have said that right in her ear. Dammit.'

It's really sad and really stupid. Usually I think it's someone's own stupidity and here it was but I guess because it's a young girl I feel worse for her. Growing up as a young guy I know how dumb young guys are and when they make mistakes like this I think they usually deserve the consequences.

I know I'm pretty callous about that.

It's really sad and really stupid. Usually I think it's someone's own stupidity and here it was but I guess because it's a young girl I feel worse for her. Growing up as a young guy I know how dumb young guys are and when they make mistakes like this I think they usually deserve the consequences.

I know I'm pretty callous about that.

I know what you mean but, really, stupidity knows no gender.

'I vividly remember the entire thing': College student recalls when she watched her legs get severed off as she tried to jump on train
---
‘I remember looking down at my leg dragging on the ground and I saw how fast the wheels were turning and how fast the rails were going by,’ she said, reported the Longmont Times-Call.

’It almost occurred to me, and I was like, “Oh my god, I am gonna get”… and then it happened. I remember sitting there looking at my legs.’
---
the rest at Daily Mail link above

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy