LA - Masked Man armed with 4 knives & a hatchet arrested inside Middle School

fhc

Reaction score
How does this happen ??? Why aren't our schools safe & secured???

http://theadvocate.com/news/police/779554-64/masked-man-arrested-at-school.html

A 21-year-old Basile man was arrested Tuesday after he allegedly walked into Iota Middle School wearing a Halloween mask while armed with four knives and a hatchet, an official said Tuesday.

The masked man, later identified as Garrett West, entered the school through the south entrance wearing khaki overalls, a white Halloween mask, a black wig and a belt around the waist, which held the knives and hatchet, the Acadia Parish Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

About the question you raised about keeping a school safe and secure. I worked on a public school campus for a long time, both elementary and middle school. It is very hard to lockdown a campus and still make it possible for students, parents and teachers to come and go from school on time. You have 1000+ people having to be on the same campus at the same time. So that requires more than one entrance, especially when the traffic comes from different directions and parking is scattered throughout.

And so how do you keep a guard at each location at every hour of the day? It is hard and expensive and not always possible. We tried hard but things happen.

How does this happen ??? Why aren't our schools safe & secured???

http://theadvocate.com/news/police/779554-64/masked-man-arrested-at-school.html

A 21-year-old Basile man was arrested Tuesday after he allegedly walked into Iota Middle School wearing a Halloween mask while armed with four knives and a hatchet, an official said Tuesday.

The masked man, later identified as Garrett West, entered the school through the south entrance wearing khaki overalls, a white Halloween mask, a black wig and a belt around the waist, which held the knives and hatchet, the Acadia Parish Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

He had a heartbreaking story to tell, fhc. Down on his luck and couldn't find a job and his family wasn't supportive. So you go into a middle school in a mask and have a hatchet and knives? Indeed the Principal did a wonderful job of difussing the situation, but nobody is asking how in the Lord's name the guy got in the school. The kids had just come in from lunch, but still no stranger mask or not should be walking around in there.

About the question you raised about keeping a school safe and secure. I worked on a public school campus for a long time, both elementary and middle school. It is very hard to lockdown a campus and still make it possible for students, parents and teachers to come and go from school on time. You have 1000+ people having to be on the same campus at the same time. So that requires more than one entrance, especially when the traffic comes from different directions and parking is scattered throughout.

And so how do you keep a guard at each location at every hour of the day? It is hard and expensive and not always possible. We tried hard but things happen.

Katy I have the utmost respect for all our teachers. Next to parenting that is one of the most important jobs there is. However I have to disagree with you.

First off this school was only 6-8 grade. The ratio is 13 students to every teacher so it can't be too large.

My DD went to a grade school that was pre-K to 8th and almost at one time nearly over 800 kids. It was simple. Once those kids were in that school every single entrance was closed. If you needed to get in to volunteer or pick your child up or the postal carrier had to get in or deliveries there was one entrance as to where you buzzed a buzzer. They had a camera. They asked who you were and then came down to open the door. You then showed ID and signed in.

As far as lunch breaks or going in the morning the teachers stood outside with the lines of kids. They followed behind the lines and the doors again were locked.

Here in Philly some kids have to go through medal detectors and show ID. Campus is checked for propped open doors etc. Of course something could happen, but no school should have a guy saunter in wearing a mask with a hatchet. No way.

I'm sorry but his down on his luck story isn't doing it for me. Children shouldn't be the object of ones insanity.

I can't find any updates on Garrett West's case :/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiphasGrace
Back